Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Thoughts on this quote about Danica Patrick and GoDaddy....

Posted by   + Show Post
"Don't scream you want to be treated with equality, all the while selling your feminine sexuality and using it for fame and fortune, and special treatment" (regarding Danica Patrick, and GoDaddy capitalizing off of her)....thoughts?
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Replies (31-40):
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I would imagine it would be very difficult to be a woman in a male dominated sport. Men in racing have exploited their sponsorships for decades but they get a free pass because it's male dominated. Danica probably doesn't have much longer in the sport so she's gotta make hay while the sun shines. Sponsors want her because she's an attractive female and they're using that to their advantage too. Who knows what the hell she has to deal with on a daily basis? Not me, I don't even know the woman so it's not up to me to judge her.

EmilysMom2010
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Yeah. Well. That's not what I was implying. Obviously.
If she wants to be famous. And she is able to "make it" then why not. It's just a career.
No one said she slept her way to the top. How come when a woman looks good and is successful people automatically assume they didn't actually work for it.

Quoting specialwingz:

Apparently , you see nothing wrong with women who sleep their way to the top.  Not saying Danica is one of them.  But, according to your statement, there is nothing wrong with women using their bodies to get where they want to be.

Quoting EmilysMom2010:

My thoughts are;

Why not? I don't see anything wrong with it. Why can't we work EVERYTHING we have. Just because she is a beautiful woman she is supposed to hide that?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Danica is indeed a bitch.  She has to be.  I don't find it appealing when she fails to take personal responsibility more often, as she should.  

But hell, lets see any one of us try to break in to that man's club and see what we are met with.  That is, unless you are Sprint girl.  lol

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Okay, that's nonsense.

Quoting KamWorthy:

She's a female racecar driver, young, attractive, sexy...and works for godaddy, a well known sexist site that exploits women's sexuality for profit.
Quoting Euphoric:

Is it sad that I don't know who she is?

For once, I tend to agree with you.

Go Daddy does go off of the sexuality of females, that is the point.  lol

However, Danica does not go nearly as far as some other females who are associated with Go Daddy.

Also, saying she works for them, is partly correct, but it is obvious the OP hasn't a clue how it works in the Nascar world with sponsors.   

(Geez even I have to be partially right once in a while.)

All of that, plus no women are being expolited, the young girls being brought here and forced into prostittuion, are being expolited, not these women, focus on those girls if one is concerned.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Ah, skimmed over it. Using her sexuality for special treatment. I can't hate on that., if someone is willing to give her special treatment because of the way she looks, I say use it all she wants!

Quoting KamWorthy:

The quote doesn't say she's asking for special treatment.

Quoting ashellbell:

I wasn't aware of her asking for special treatment. As to using her sexuality/looks tho get ahead? Why not? If it works for her, sweet. She shouldn't ask for special treatment though, pretty people can get that without asking.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EmilysMom2010
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM
That's exactly how I see it. It's her career. And she has been very successful at it.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I would imagine it would be very difficult to be a woman in a male dominated sport. Men in racing have exploited their sponsorships for decades but they get a free pass because it's male dominated. Danica probably doesn't have much longer in the sport so she's gotta make hay while the sun shines. Sponsors want her because she's an attractive female and they're using that to their advantage too. Who knows what the hell she has to deal with on a daily basis? Not me, I don't even know the woman so it's not up to me to judge her.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jllcali
by Jane on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM
It's one thing for a woman to look feminine or attractive, it's another thing for a woman to use her femininity or attractiveness to get out of doing her job.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

If she was posing in the commercials, or otherwise, half naked and acting like a little tease, I would probably think differently.

She isn't.  Not yet, any way.

When the boys stop taking off their shirts to sell and to please their sponsors, then we can talk.

Gotta go to work...........blah!

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I give her kudos for achieving her dreams of racing in NASCAR but just because it was tough to break into the sport doesn't mean she has to be a bitch to her fans. Her fans helped get her where she is...

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Danica is indeed a bitch.  She has to be.  I don't find it appealing when she fails to take personal responsibility more often, as she should.  

But hell, lets see any one of us try to break in to that man's club and see what we are met with.  That is, unless you are Sprint girl.  lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM
2 moms liked this

My opinion of the quote is that C. Simmons has over simplied the issue.  

Men capitalize on their sexuality and never have to wonder if it limits them in their field.  Women wanting to achieve that same level is not unreasonable.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN