Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Smoking ~ Going for broke!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM
  • 114 Replies
Today I went into a little convenient store to pay for my gas and happened to glance behind the register at a sign for cigarettes. For the cheap brand it was $6.79 a pack and for the more popular brand it was $7.69 a pack. How in the heck can people afford to smoke these days? And further more, if you are on food stamps and/or WIC and you can afford to smoke - why are you on assistance?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Here we go.. Popcorn anyone?
The.Hug.Life
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I don't pay quite that much for my cigarettes. When I started 6 years ago, I could buy a pack for 3.00 now I pay 6.00 for my Camels. I spend 50.00 for a carton. I need to quit, but it's hard and I actually enjoy smoking. When I'm not smoking not only do I go through nicotine withdrawl, I also have a sense of loss. I don't know what to do with my fingers or my mouth. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM
6 moms liked this

Unless you (general) are wearing the shoes of those we think are too big, or too small, we can only sit around and assume, judge and throw out our own projections in that direction.

Doesn't it get old?

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:04 PM
6 moms liked this

We've been rolling our own for years, and now grow our own tobacco. So, it really only costs us about $3.10 a carton for menthol 100's.

I sort of miss the bug spray the companies added, but I sure don't miss the other however many chemicals they add. I absolutely don't miss the price ... although I do occasionally smile when I think about the discriminatory taxes I'm not paying.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Farmlady09:

We've been rolling our own for years, and now grow our own tobacco. So, it really only costs us about $3.10 a carton for menthol 100's.

I sort of miss the bug spray the companies added, but I sure don't miss the other however many chemicals they add. I absolutely don't miss the price ... although I do occasionally smile when I think about the discriminatory taxes I'm not paying.

Where do I sign up?  Although I don't smoke menthol. lol

sugareemommee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I quit a month ago. My brand was always on sale. Either a 2 pack special or 1.00 off. I also subscribed for coupons.

That money is so nice to have now ;)
ethans_momma06
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Well, you can't.

But, like ALL addictions, people find a way to make it work.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Hmmm, you sell them too?

Quoting Farmlady09:

gludwig2000
by Gina on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM
3 moms liked this

Mine are less than $4.00 a pack, and while I know that I really should quit, I don't drink, don't do drugs, and don't party or have sex, so really, is $4.00 a pack too much to ask to keep me sane? I think not,lol.

Mommy2BeAmy
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:15 PM
I smoke hookah. I have converted a lot of ppl from ciggs to hookah. Less harmful and cheaper
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)