Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

4-year-old son of Michigan sheriff's deputy accidentally shoots and kills himself

Posted by   + Show Post

The four-year-old boy of a sheriff’s deputy in northern Michigan accidentally shot and killed himself with a handgun at the family’s home over the weekend, state police said Monday.

Authorities believe Michael Easter was playing with the firearm when he shot himself one time on Saturday in Liberty Township, said First Lt. Michael Krumm of the state police. Police have sent evidence to a forensic lab for analysis but don’t think there was any criminal intent at play.

“At this point there is nothing that’s leading us to believe that this is anything more than a tragic accident,” Krumm said.

The handgun was believed to be registered to the boy’s father, Mark Easter, Krumm said, adding that he had yet to receive confirmation. But it was not Easter’s service weapon, he said.

Easter was on his way to work when his wife called and told him what happened, Jackson County Sheriff Steve Rand told mlive.com. The boy was pronounced dead at a local medical center.

“This just serves as a reminder that we need to be vigilant when it comes to keeping our children safe,” Rand said.

Cammy Rose, the cousin of Easter’s wife, told NBC affiliate wilx.com: “Mark's a good guy. I know this wasn't intentional."

"My heart is broken for my cousin," she said. "He was definitely taken from this world too early."

A week ago, a 4-year-old Houston boy fatally shot himself with his father's stolen handgun while his dad slept. 

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Replies (21-22):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM

That is pure insanity. A child is a child. Hell, there are adults who are well trained and still manage to accidentally shoot themselves. Fucking Christ. 

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Because the Sheriff was trained in guns. His son was most likely raised around guns. His son knows more saftey than probably you or me. His son would never have an accident or mistake in judgement.

Believe it or not these are words another mom here on cafe mom said to me just last month during the last round of gun debates when I asked her why should would place her guns in a cabinate instead of a safe of some sort. 

Quoting mehamil1:

WHY THE FUCK WAS THE GUN WHERE THE KID COULD GET IT?!?!?!!?!?! 

I increase font size to the relative level of my emotional state. 

Luvmybooskies
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM

A loaded gun should either be locked up or attached to your side in a holster . There are no other options, unless it's in your hand and you are pointing at your target!!!  I can't imagine the guilt this man will live with for the rest of his life and it breaks my heart to think about that poor baby, but I can't fathom having a gun where a child can access it. Ours stay locked up at all times and we drill it into our kids heads that guns can KILL you. We tell them if they ever see one they are to run the other direction and get an adult right away. This is why they  will NEVER have a toy gun. I want my kids to know that guns are a threat. I never want them to play with one because they think it's fake. My hubby is a pistol instructor for the NRA and he loves to skeet shoot. Guns are popular in this house, but they are taken very seriously and I hope to god all of our precautions will insure the safety of our children. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN