Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Priest burns photo of pope during mass

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM
  • 8 Replies

Has this been posted already?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/priest-burns-pope-picture-italy-article-1.1278727

Burn this! Italian priest burns photo of ex-Pope Benedict, saying the pontiff ‘abandoned’ the world’s Catholics by resigning

Don Andrea Maggi, of Imperia, calls Benedict 'not a Pope' because he quit. Parishioners shocked, outraged, confused.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/priest-burns-pope-picture-italy-article-1.1278727#ixzz2MdDE75b0

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:13 PM

IMPERIA, Italy — A priest in a rural parish in northwestern Italy burned a picture of ex-Pope Benedict, claiming the pontiff “abandoned” the world’s Catholics when they needed him most.

“A shepherd does not leave his flock!" thundered Don Andrea Maggi, the 67-year-old pastor in Castel Vittorio, a medieval hilltop town near the French border, according to the report in Corriere della Sera.

“I am doing it because he was not a Pope,” Maggi said after burning the photo in front of dozens of horrified parishioners in the middle of Sunday’s mass. “He abandoned us.”

RELATED: ENGLISH-SPEAKING CARDINALS LEAD CHARGE TO REFORM VATICAN

Maggi said he lit the picture in the name of what he considers “orthodox.”

But at least one churchgoer called the father “very severe” and another called him “a little depressed.”

“It was a shocking gesture, committed before a dozen children,” said witness Gianstefano Orengo, the mayor of the town. “I understand that Don Andrea is going through a delicate period. But this is a very serious gesture. "

RELATED: CARDINALS ARRIVE AT VATICAN FOR FIRST OF SEVERAL MEETINGS TO SELECT NEW POPE

Maggi had just begun his homily when he grabbed the photo of Benedict, which had been sitting next to a candle, and dipped it into the flame.

"Many parishioners protested and others, like me, left, bewildered,” Orengo said.

In a statement, the Holy See called the act “execrable.”

“(It) has gravely damaged the church and confused parishioners," said Alberto Maria Careggio, the Bishop for the area. "This act has caused confusion among the faithful. I am mortified by the action of Don Andrea, who in other respects has proved a most generous and sensitive priest.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/priest-burns-pope-picture-italy-article-1.1278727#ixzz2MdCwjxzB

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Sounds like this priest is really confused..It's supposed to be about Christ, not the Pope.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM

haters gonna hate

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM
And so it begins...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh boy.I wonder if he is related to Sinead O'Connor?  :-)

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2010/10/03/sinead-oconnor-pope-snl-video-war-bob-marley/

lga1965
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Quoting babyspots17:

And so it begins...

What is going to begin ?

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:32 PM
And this is newsworthy, why? This Pope worship is one of the many reasons why I stopped being catholic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:35 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN