Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hurley Hospital's lawsuit about no black nurses

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM
  • 21 Replies

Has this already been posted here? 

It's been all over our newspapers, so I thought I'd see what you guys think.  A dad requested there be no black nurses caring for his newborn in one of our hospitals.  Apparently there was a note posted with the baby about his request, and 2 black nurses sued the hospital b/c in Michigan the hospital is not supposed to allow you to choose the race or gender of your nurse. 

What do you think?

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2013/02/flint_naacp_confronts_hurley_b.html

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2013/02/al_sharptons_organization_disc.html

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the hospital should have declined their racist request, as is within their right. Then if the parents sign out AMA they would have a valid reason to call CPS, which probably needs to be done with these horrible excuses for human beings.

I would be SO PISSED if my hospital actually honored this BS.

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I think the dad was a jerk..I also think the nurses are jerks to sue. Petty all around...

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Doesn't surprise me based on what I saw during a visit to MI.

I don't know the law in this area but it is more than clear what kind of human being that father is.

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Would you be pissed if someone requested to not have any male nurses taking care of them during labor/delivery/recovery and the hospital honored that request?  It's not much different than that.

Quoting unspecified42:

I think the hospital should have declined their racist request, as is within their right. Then if the parents sign out AMA they would have a valid reason to call CPS, which probably needs to be done with these horrible excuses for human beings.

I would be SO PISSED if my hospital actually honored this BS.

MsRkg
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this
A patients individual hospital rights does not trump an employees federal rights which is to work without discrimination. The law of the nation will/should always trump the laws of a local hospital policy. This was a horrible situation all the way around, no way for either party to win or be satisfied.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you.  I kind of think a person should get to pick who takes care of their newborn though...

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

I think the dad was a jerk..I also think the nurses are jerks to sue. Petty all around...

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:03 AM

lol, what did you see during a visit to MI?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I don't know the law in this area but it is more than clear what kind of human being that father is.

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I agree with this. I mean maybe they should have considered home birth or something but the hospital did not have to choose to honor the requests. That makes the environment uncomfortable because then I, as the employee, feel that my employer hasn't protected my rights against discrimination

Quoting MsRkg:

A patients individual hospital rights does not trump an employees federal rights which is to work without discrimination. The law of the nation will/should always trump the laws of a local hospital policy. This was a horrible situation all the way around, no way for either party to win or be satisfied.

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I agree with that.  I understand wanting to handpick who handles your baby...but in a hospital setting there are many nurses in & out so you don't get to pick 'em...and it's against the law for the hospital to do that here...

Quoting LNLMommy:

I agree with this. I mean maybe they should have considered home birth or something but the hospital did not have to choose to honor the requests. That makes the environment uncomfortable because then I, as the employee, feel that my employer hasn't protected my rights against discrimination

Quoting MsRkg:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

lol, what did you see during a visit to MI?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Bigotry like I have never experienced.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)