Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sick Kids In School

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM
  • 134 Replies
1 mom liked this

I suppose this is more of a vent and PSA than any actual story.

I am SO sick and tired of parents sending their kids to school sick. I understand many parents work and many just don't see things like a common cold or flu as that big of a deal. Sadly those parents don't take into consideration all the kids in school with weak immune systems for various reasons. So each time you send your kid in with a cold/flu/mild virus it causes our weak immuned kids to spend the next week at home with high fevers and possible doctor/ER visits.

Every danged time i get my son well and finally back in class he's down with another fever within a week because another parent in his class sent their kid in sick. It's the worst during these flu/cold seasons.  One of my own friends just did this yesterday with the reasoning "well her fever was really low and she didn't sound too bad and she really wanted to go to school so i sent her in"  WTF, you KNOW she's still sick but sent her anyway, what the hell kind of sense does that make, now you've just gotten more kids in school sick.

Please people, think, you aren't supposed to send your child to school until they've been fever free for at least 24 hours and if your kid wakes up coughing and sneezing all over they are obviously ill and shouldn't go to school to infect everyone else.

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM
10 moms liked this

Neither the school system nor the work place allows for people/students to be sick. It is perverse and wrong, but it is what it is- you show up or risk bigger issues.

SuperChicken
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm with you 100%.  I really hate when people send their children to school when they are ill.  Not only does the poor child suffer, but so does everyone else when their illness is shared through the classroom.

Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:06 PM
2 moms liked this
My kids are usually very healthy luckily. I teach them that school is their job and number one priority. Colds and minor fevers without feeling super crappy...they go to school. High fever, vomitting, absolutely feeling miserable, they stay home. It does suck...but I can't call in everytime I sneeze or cough. I don't want them to think it is okay for them to do this either. I agree it is a balance of when to send to school and when to stay home. There are many variables.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I don't send my child in with a fever but he common cold....really. You can't keep a kid home every time they catch a cold. That would be ludicrous.

I know my SIL is dealing with this. Her DS never left their house. He had no play groups etc and they always stayed at home with him. Now that he's in school he's being exposed to the outside world for the first time. He's always sick. My DS doesn't catch everything he is around because he's been building up his immune system in daycare.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Or to chucky cheeses, if you kid is sick dont bring out, all it's going to do is get out her kids sick! Took the boys there two weeks ago and the next day they we sneezing two days later had a fever of 105 each. You have no idea how hard the next few days were. 

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM
7 moms liked this

I completely agree with you but there is a problem in many areas in which the parents cannot keep the children out without ending up in court or the child failing the entire term. It matters not that you have doctors excuses. Your rant is the major point of my rant against mandatory attendance.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Ktina11:

My kids are usually very healthy luckily. I teach them that school is their job and number one priority. Colds and minor fevers without feeling super crappy...they go to school. High fever, vomitting, absolutely feeling miserable, they stay home. It does suck...but I can't call in everytime I sneeze or cough. I don't want them to think it is okay for them to do this either. I agree it is a balance of when to send to school and when to stay home. There are many variables.

If your child has a fever that means they are contagious and you sending them to school that way is just getting other peoples children sick. Since all the special needs kids *most with weak/compromised immune systems* are now mainstreamed with your kids you are getting them sick and most of them don't just get sick, they get SICK.

Sweetest_Britt
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I absolutely agree with you. I brought my 28 weeker home from the NICU just in time for cold/flu season, with 2 older brothers in public school. Luckily, I was breastfeeding and we were very careful about exposing Dylan to anything. He didn't even get the sniffles.

However, his older brothers constantly had colds!!! And my oldest has horrible asthma. Everytime he gets a cold, he needs breathing treatments, meds, and usually a doctor visit. So frustrating.  

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting furbabymum:

I don't send my child in with a fever but he common cold....really. You can't keep a kid home every time they catch a cold. That would be ludicrous.

I know my SIL is dealing with this. Her DS never left their house. He had no play groups etc and they always stayed at home with him. Now that he's in school he's being exposed to the outside world for the first time. He's always sick. My DS doesn't catch everything he is around because he's been building up his immune system in daycare.

My son was almost 2 months early and his immune system never fully recovered. We've taken him out and socialized him constantly since he was a baby and he still catches every cold/flu/virus that he's in any way exposed to. Most kids with weak immune systems are that way due to birth issues and special needs issues. No amount of daycare exposure helps our kids.

The biggest issue i'm having right now is that my son is one of 4 special needs kids in his class that all have compromised immune systems and yet the other parents are constantly sending their kids in sick and i'm not just talking about the sniffles or a few sneezes. We're talking kids that are still so sick they can't talk or cough non-stop all day during class. These kids should be kept home.

1Giovanni
by Becca on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Unless your child has a fever or vomiting/diarrhea you can't keep them home. I really hate sending my son to school when he feels crummy, but if your child misses certain amount of school even excuse you can get in trouble. That is why the school district has a policy on what is excuse absent. Just if they have a headache, a cough or just feel crummy is not a excuse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured