Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I suppose this is more of a vent and PSA than any actual story.

I am SO sick and tired of parents sending their kids to school sick. I understand many parents work and many just don't see things like a common cold or flu as that big of a deal. Sadly those parents don't take into consideration all the kids in school with weak immune systems for various reasons. So each time you send your kid in with a cold/flu/mild virus it causes our weak immuned kids to spend the next week at home with high fevers and possible doctor/ER visits.

Every danged time i get my son well and finally back in class he's down with another fever within a week because another parent in his class sent their kid in sick. It's the worst during these flu/cold seasons.  One of my own friends just did this yesterday with the reasoning "well her fever was really low and she didn't sound too bad and she really wanted to go to school so i sent her in"  WTF, you KNOW she's still sick but sent her anyway, what the hell kind of sense does that make, now you've just gotten more kids in school sick.

Please people, think, you aren't supposed to send your child to school until they've been fever free for at least 24 hours and if your kid wakes up coughing and sneezing all over they are obviously ill and shouldn't go to school to infect everyone else.

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I guess that's the big difference among people. To me a cold isn't sick. A cold is a cold and it happens. I'd only keep my child home if they were utterly miserable with it. I'm sorry your kid gets sick easily. I'm the type of person that catches illness just from people looking at me. That's life. *shrugs*

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting furbabymum:

I don't send my child in with a fever but he common cold....really. You can't keep a kid home every time they catch a cold. That would be ludicrous.

I know my SIL is dealing with this. Her DS never left their house. He had no play groups etc and they always stayed at home with him. Now that he's in school he's being exposed to the outside world for the first time. He's always sick. My DS doesn't catch everything he is around because he's been building up his immune system in daycare.

My son was almost 2 months early and his immune system never fully recovered. We've taken him out and socialized him constantly since he was a baby and he still catches every cold/flu/virus that he's in any way exposed to. Most kids with weak immune systems are that way due to birth issues and special needs issues. No amount of daycare exposure helps our kids.

The biggest issue i'm having right now is that my son is one of 4 special needs kids in his class that all have compromised immune systems and yet the other parents are constantly sending their kids in sick and i'm not just talking about the sniffles or a few sneezes. We're talking kids that are still so sick they can't talk or cough non-stop all day during class. These kids should be kept home.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Quoting Sweetest_Britt:

I absolutely agree with you. I brought my 28 weeker home from the NICU just in time for cold/flu season, with 2 older brothers in public school. Luckily, I was breastfeeding and we were very careful about exposing Dylan to anything. He didn't even get the sniffles.

However, his older brothers constantly had colds!!! And my oldest has horrible asthma. Everytime he gets a cold, he needs breathing treatments, meds, and usually a doctor visit. So frustrating.  

I feel your pain. We end up at the docs office or ER everytime our older boy gets sick. He's had to be put on IV fluids multiple times due to various flus and colds. We've tried getting him the flu shot and each time he gets so sick from it that he ends up in the ER so now his doc suggests against it *strangely while he gets the flu worse than the other kids he still doesn't get it as often and most of them get the shots*

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Power to the struggle, sister!  I have turned kids right around at my classroom door and handed them back to parents who give me "but s/he wanted to come."

Now, there's a difference between older kids and youngers.  Preschool through primary dudes have their fingers in their noses and mouths constantly.  They aren't 100% proficient in the use of a tissue.  They likely aren't able to comprehend/articulate exactly how they feel.  If they say their neck hurts, that might mean a sore throat.  If they are having flu-like achiness, they might just say their arm hurts.  These kids need to stay home.  They aren't going to miss a damned calculus test but they very well might develop a secondary infection because they weren't given the chance to rest and get better.

Older kids are a different story, but there's still NO excuse for sending a kid of any age with even a low fever.  That's WAY uncool.  Also, throwing up or diarrhea has got to buy anyone...kid or grownup... 24 hours resting at home.  Keep those germs to yourself; people have babies at home that do NOT need those germs all up and in 'em.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Agree.

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I agree...but I'm totally guilty of this.  My dd has allergies, her nose is constantly running-365 days a year.  So when she gets something else that causes like a green runny nose, it's hard to tell she's sick unless she has a fever or other obvious symptoms.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

A cold isn't sick?  How about all the ear infections, croup, sinus infections, bronchitis, etc that are a DIRECT consequence of having had a cold?  When you spread cold germs, you're causing other people to get actually and truly sick.

Quoting furbabymum:

I guess that's the big difference among people. To me a cold isn't sick. A cold is a cold and it happens. I'd only keep my child home if they were utterly miserable with it. I'm sorry your kid gets sick easily. I'm the type of person that catches illness just from people looking at me. That's life. *shrugs*

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting furbabymum:

I don't send my child in with a fever but he common cold....really. You can't keep a kid home every time they catch a cold. That would be ludicrous.

I know my SIL is dealing with this. Her DS never left their house. He had no play groups etc and they always stayed at home with him. Now that he's in school he's being exposed to the outside world for the first time. He's always sick. My DS doesn't catch everything he is around because he's been building up his immune system in daycare.

My son was almost 2 months early and his immune system never fully recovered. We've taken him out and socialized him constantly since he was a baby and he still catches every cold/flu/virus that he's in any way exposed to. Most kids with weak immune systems are that way due to birth issues and special needs issues. No amount of daycare exposure helps our kids.

The biggest issue i'm having right now is that my son is one of 4 special needs kids in his class that all have compromised immune systems and yet the other parents are constantly sending their kids in sick and i'm not just talking about the sniffles or a few sneezes. We're talking kids that are still so sick they can't talk or cough non-stop all day during class. These kids should be kept home.

somuchlove4U
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM
I understand your vent. Unfortunately some parents have no choice, but to send their sick kid in. The reason being the school threatens them if they don't make their kids go to school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
confused0701
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Sorry but if I kept my kid home for every cough or sneeze she would never be in school.  With her allergies and asthma coughing and sneezing are a constant.  Then you add in hives at least once a week.  She doesn't stay home unless its a fever 100+ or she's puking/diarrhea.  If she misses to much which is 6 days here then I end up in court which could cost me my job.  Sorry but I won't keep my kid home for a sneeze or common cold.  

confused0701
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Here they do because if the nurse sends them home its a nurse refferal so it doesn't go on record or count against their records!  

Quoting somuchlove4U:

I understand your vent. Unfortunately some parents have no choice, but to send their sick kid in. The reason being the school threatens them if they don't make their kids go to school.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I guess you thought that rant would change my mind. It didn't. The common cold is common and I do not consider it to be worth staying home for.

Quoting Bieg9093:

A cold isn't sick?  How about all the ear infections, croup, sinus infections, bronchitis, etc that are a DIRECT consequence of having had a cold?  When you spread cold germs, you're causing other people to get actually and truly sick.

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting furbabymum:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured