Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I suppose this is more of a vent and PSA than any actual story.

I am SO sick and tired of parents sending their kids to school sick. I understand many parents work and many just don't see things like a common cold or flu as that big of a deal. Sadly those parents don't take into consideration all the kids in school with weak immune systems for various reasons. So each time you send your kid in with a cold/flu/mild virus it causes our weak immuned kids to spend the next week at home with high fevers and possible doctor/ER visits.

Every danged time i get my son well and finally back in class he's down with another fever within a week because another parent in his class sent their kid in sick. It's the worst during these flu/cold seasons.  One of my own friends just did this yesterday with the reasoning "well her fever was really low and she didn't sound too bad and she really wanted to go to school so i sent her in"  WTF, you KNOW she's still sick but sent her anyway, what the hell kind of sense does that make, now you've just gotten more kids in school sick.

Please people, think, you aren't supposed to send your child to school until they've been fever free for at least 24 hours and if your kid wakes up coughing and sneezing all over they are obviously ill and shouldn't go to school to infect everyone else.

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Replies (131-134):
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I agree with having had it to the hilt with parents who send sick kids to school. The larger problem? Parents who have allowed themselves to be indoctrinated into the idea that the school knows what is better for their child than they do and the insane rhetoric I have read here about kids missing school and parents being afraid they are going to have people come after them. You are not going to be in trouble for your child missing 7 days of school you called in to excuse in one 9 week period. If your kid misses more than that they should be seeing a Dr. and you are both covered. It becomes an issue when kids are missing constant days of school for no reason without communication with the school and teachers, and/or without a medical reason.

Those that are freaking out about keeping their sick kid home for one or  two days either have had issues before for some reason, or are buying into government bullshit. Keep the schools i.e. the govt out of your homes. Take back your families. Kindly thank them for their intrusion and ignore it. I don't know where you all live, but in our county we do get an auto generated letter sent home from the county, after a child misses 5 days of school regardless if they have been excused by the parent or a Dr. , letting us know they have been absent, what can happen, what the penalties are, yada, yada, yada. We had the flu this winter. I got a letter for all 3 kids. You know what I did with the letter? Threw it away. It meant nothing. The school knew why they were out for two weeks and so did their teachers. I didn't freak out and think CPS was going to come knocking on my door. You are the parent not the school. Quit letting them dictate how you parent. If you want to let them stay home just to stay home? Do it! As long as they are on track academically there is no reason they can't. You are the boss. Not the school. Why is this a hard concept for so many to grasp these days? 

On a side note... You know how we got the flu??? An adorable sweet girl in my daughters class who's mother owns her own practice decided she just couldn't shut her office down or cancel her patients that day to take care of her obviously sick kid. She sent her kid to class with a high fever, coughing, sneezing, snot running all over, and about a half hour after class started I asked her if she needed some water in the middle of a coughing fit. I got her out of her chair to walk her to the water fountain and she puked all over my shirt and pants. Her mom was called to pick her up and she called later to say she tested positive for flu A. 3 days later, dd #1 had it, 12 hours later mommy had it, another 24 dd#3 and another 12 dd#2. Fantastic. To make matters better it was just in time for Daddy to leave for Germany for two weeks. Her moms excuse was she thought, wait for it, " she just had a cold." 

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM

ABSOLUTELY!!!! I can't abide it myself!

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Quoting Bieg9093:

I'd say the population is divided into 2 different camps.  There are those who try to do the right thing out of consideration of others, including (but not limited to) making an effort to reduce the spread of germs to others.  And there are those who do whatever they want because they don't give a flip about other people.

A mask is a great idea for sensitive kids...very sensible.  But it doesn't change the fact that people ought to try to do the right thing.

you said that better than I did.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Quoting jadedcynic:

I'm sure most of us don't have the luxury of a nanny.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

This is coming from me after telling our nanny to keep DD home today because she has a cold. I will keep my kids home when they're sick but I don't find it reasonable for all kids to stay home with the sniffles or a cough due to cold.

I'm a SAHM looking for full time work. Before I had the 'luxury' of a nanny I chose to stay home. One of the reasons is because kids get sick. I realize that's not an option for many people. We hired a nanny because daycare also requires that you keep your kids home when they're sick. I don't have a back up plan. I don't have any family close enough that would have commited to keeping my sick children when and if their sickness keeps them out of school/daycare. I did choose a child care option that covers my basic needs for child care.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)