Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I suppose this is more of a vent and PSA than any actual story.

I am SO sick and tired of parents sending their kids to school sick. I understand many parents work and many just don't see things like a common cold or flu as that big of a deal. Sadly those parents don't take into consideration all the kids in school with weak immune systems for various reasons. So each time you send your kid in with a cold/flu/mild virus it causes our weak immuned kids to spend the next week at home with high fevers and possible doctor/ER visits.

Every danged time i get my son well and finally back in class he's down with another fever within a week because another parent in his class sent their kid in sick. It's the worst during these flu/cold seasons.  One of my own friends just did this yesterday with the reasoning "well her fever was really low and she didn't sound too bad and she really wanted to go to school so i sent her in"  WTF, you KNOW she's still sick but sent her anyway, what the hell kind of sense does that make, now you've just gotten more kids in school sick.

Please people, think, you aren't supposed to send your child to school until they've been fever free for at least 24 hours and if your kid wakes up coughing and sneezing all over they are obviously ill and shouldn't go to school to infect everyone else.

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Replies (21-30):
stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Here that counts as unexcused unless you take them to the doctor and even then...

Quoting confused0701:

Here they do because if the nurse sends them home its a nurse refferal so it doesn't go on record or count against their records!  

Quoting somuchlove4U:

I understand your vent. Unfortunately some parents have no choice, but to send their sick kid in. The reason being the school threatens them if they don't make their kids go to school.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I have not stepped foot inside one of those since I was a child. They are cess pools of disease. I refuse to go. 

Quoting Citygirlk:

Or to chucky cheeses, if you kid is sick dont bring out, all it's going to do is get out her kids sick! Took the boys there two weeks ago and the next day they we sneezing two days later had a fever of 105 each. You have no idea how hard the next few days were. 

Aamy
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM
A stuffy nose and no fever, yes my kids will be in school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:29 PM

For colds or a headache, my kid goes to school.  For fevers or vomiting he stays home.  If I kept him home for the occasional cold he would be so buried in work he would never catch up, and at this point he doesn't get colds very often anyway.  

kaylasmom22
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a post similar to this and was shred to pieces for thinking like you. I don't know what's wrong with people but I have seen lots of "don't care for others" attitude around here.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:40 PM
2 moms liked this

My children stayed home when they were sick.  Period.  The school I sent them to had a `no sick child attendance'' policy, and it was enforced.  (Thankfully)  I believe the difference here is they attended a Catholic school and did not have ridiculous attendance policies because they do not receive funding from the government.  Your kid, your problem -- not callously; however they had the students and staff's health to protect.  Work is not an excuse for two parent  families because either DH or me had to stay home.  That's parenthood.  I had to suck it up and remain home when our DD had Scarlet Fever.  DH had to leave work in the mid-day when our DS broke his foot in school. 

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:44 PM

My dd has allergies she is always sneezing, unless she has fever or other sick symptoms she goes to school

tscritch
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM

A lot of time it's a damned if you do damned if you don't sort of thing. If you keep them home then the school gets mad and you could get into trouble. I can't take my dd to the dr everytime she gets a cold or is just a little sick, so I don't have a dr's excuse. I don't want to send her to school for the exact reasons you said...so what does a parent do?

amyme63
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Kids can be contagious before they ever show any symptoms. There is no way to avoid illness in a public school. If my kids have fevers or are throwing up they stay home. But, I don't keep them home for every sniffle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dustinsmom1
by JENN on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Problem is, kids are usually sick and contagious before they actually show symptoms. Same w/ adults.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)