Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I suppose this is more of a vent and PSA than any actual story.

I am SO sick and tired of parents sending their kids to school sick. I understand many parents work and many just don't see things like a common cold or flu as that big of a deal. Sadly those parents don't take into consideration all the kids in school with weak immune systems for various reasons. So each time you send your kid in with a cold/flu/mild virus it causes our weak immuned kids to spend the next week at home with high fevers and possible doctor/ER visits.

Every danged time i get my son well and finally back in class he's down with another fever within a week because another parent in his class sent their kid in sick. It's the worst during these flu/cold seasons.  One of my own friends just did this yesterday with the reasoning "well her fever was really low and she didn't sound too bad and she really wanted to go to school so i sent her in"  WTF, you KNOW she's still sick but sent her anyway, what the hell kind of sense does that make, now you've just gotten more kids in school sick.

Please people, think, you aren't supposed to send your child to school until they've been fever free for at least 24 hours and if your kid wakes up coughing and sneezing all over they are obviously ill and shouldn't go to school to infect everyone else.

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Replies (31-40):
jadedcynic
by NerdyJen on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't always have a choice. My son has been very sick this year, quite frequently. He is way  beyond the allowed number of missed days and if he is only mildly sick I send him. If I kept him home every single day he had a little sniffle, cough, or raised temperature, he'd never go to school. I've had the school threatening to call CPS and the County over the number of missed days. His doctor's office has a policy of only excusing the one day that they actually are seen in the office, not any additional days. 

So, thanks for the advice, but I'll have to ignore it. My son needs to attend school sometimes.

jadedcynic
by NerdyJen on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM

A fever does not mean they are contagious. A fever simply means that the immune system is fighting off illness, whether bacterial or viral. Viruses are contagious, but not every illness has a viral cause.

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting Ktina11:

My kids are usually very healthy luckily. I teach them that school is their job and number one priority. Colds and minor fevers without feeling super crappy...they go to school. High fever, vomitting, absolutely feeling miserable, they stay home. It does suck...but I can't call in everytime I sneeze or cough. I don't want them to think it is okay for them to do this either. I agree it is a balance of when to send to school and when to stay home. There are many variables.

If your child has a fever that means they are contagious and you sending them to school that way is just getting other peoples children sick. Since all the special needs kids *most with weak/compromised immune systems* are now mainstreamed with your kids you are getting them sick and most of them don't just get sick, they get SICK.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Fevers I keep my kids home, but a sniffly nose or minor cough, they still go.

I just wanted to add that not all kids with special needs are immune suppressed. There are about 40 kids in my program and not one is immune suppressed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Subway
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Although I agree sick kids should stay home, the feel I'm getting from your post is: Don't get MY kids sick you little brat!   lol

The schools are making it harder to keep kids home and you are right a lot of parents especially single mom don't have many places to turn.  

Life can be a pain that way.....

Mrs.Subway
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:10 PM

A lot of parents understand what you are going through, my child has asthma and the school used to give me a hard time.  Now she's on program and they can't send me treating letters anymore.  Lots of kids are getting sick, I think it's the pollution.

Quoting jadedcynic:

I don't always have a choice. My son has been very sick this year, quite frequently. He is way  beyond the allowed number of missed days and if he is only mildly sick I send him. If I kept him home every single day he had a little sniffle, cough, or raised temperature, he'd never go to school. I've had the school threatening to call CPS and the County over the number of missed days. His doctor's office has a policy of only excusing the one day that they actually are seen in the office, not any additional days. 

So, thanks for the advice, but I'll have to ignore it. My son needs to attend school sometimes.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:14 PM
3 moms liked this

All general yous: (because this is a common complaint from moms of school aged children)

We all have our challenges as a parent. If your kids get ill easily, this is one of yours, but that won't stop once they are out of school. And there is no way of knowing for sure that your child caught it at school. Could have picked it up from any surface he or she touched, a door or door knob, a shopping cart, a item at the store they played with or asked for, or even money (which is disgustingly dirty) or the machine if you let them buy a gumball, etc.

The common cold is called common for a reason. It's going to happen, there is no preventing it. Maybe we're lucky but I have not noticed a difference in the freqency of colds in our home from before my kids went to school to after.

Get lots of vitamin c regularly, and maybe try those little bottles of hand sanitizer that can be clipped onto a belt loop, so your kids can have access to it at all times. 

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Some parents can't afford that many days off of work and would be at a high risk of LOSING that job if they did...sorry sometimes mom can't afford to risk being fired over  every bug.

needadvice1983
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I just had to take my DS in to the doc yesterday because he came down really sick with a fever, sore throat, and rash. Turns out that he has strep throat that also brought on Scarlett Fever! I messaged his teacher so they were aware (we had him out of school Friday for an unrelated reason and he wasn't sick until Saturday. So I'm hoping he wasn't contagious before the symptoms hit) come to find out two other kids in his class had been out with strep throat a few days before my son came down with it. But one was still sent back to school after only one day out and was coughing all over everything. Granted my doc said that after 24 hours on the antibiotics my DS would no longer be contagious, but I'm keeping him out until tomorrow just to be on the safe side and make sure the meds are fully in his system. I agree that if your child has a fever they need to be kept home. Period. No question. It's harder with colds because honestly colds can last weeks and if a child is out every single time they have a cold they would never be in school. But if your child is very obviously VERY ill and is running a fever they need to be kept home. 

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:43 PM
4 moms liked this

If it came down to sending my child to school with a cold or losing my job for having to stay home with them, I'd send the child to school and keep my job.  It's what puts the roof over our heads, food in our bellies and pays the utilities.  Getting fired from my job would NOT be an option.

When I was growing up, the only time kids stayed home is if they had something really serious that had them bed ridden.  Students rarely got sick and missed school.  I guess we had stronger immunity systems or something.  We didn't carry around hand sanitizer everywhere we went.  We had to bring Kleenexes to school because kids DO get sniffles and need them.  No need to stay home.  And, somehow, the whole class didn't end up sick with a bunch of parents whining about it.

Nowadays, all I hear is younger mothers complaining about how someone else got their kids sick.  When in all reality, the kids could have picked up a bug ANYWHERE!  The cart handle at the grocery store, handrails on stairs in public places, even in their own homes.

None of us wants our kids to get sick.  But, when they do, I think way too  much energy is spent on blaming someone else.  And, the expectation that parents should risk losing their jobs over it, is way inappropriate.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:00 PM

My sons school doesn't even let you bring your child back until they have been fever, puke, or diarrhea free for 24 hours.

My son threw up yesterday at 1pm and has been fine since. He was not allowed to return to school today. He was pretty bummed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)