Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I suppose this is more of a vent and PSA than any actual story.

I am SO sick and tired of parents sending their kids to school sick. I understand many parents work and many just don't see things like a common cold or flu as that big of a deal. Sadly those parents don't take into consideration all the kids in school with weak immune systems for various reasons. So each time you send your kid in with a cold/flu/mild virus it causes our weak immuned kids to spend the next week at home with high fevers and possible doctor/ER visits.

Every danged time i get my son well and finally back in class he's down with another fever within a week because another parent in his class sent their kid in sick. It's the worst during these flu/cold seasons.  One of my own friends just did this yesterday with the reasoning "well her fever was really low and she didn't sound too bad and she really wanted to go to school so i sent her in"  WTF, you KNOW she's still sick but sent her anyway, what the hell kind of sense does that make, now you've just gotten more kids in school sick.

Please people, think, you aren't supposed to send your child to school until they've been fever free for at least 24 hours and if your kid wakes up coughing and sneezing all over they are obviously ill and shouldn't go to school to infect everyone else.

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Replies (41-50):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Quoting Woodbabe:

Some parents can't afford that many days off of work and would be at a high risk of LOSING that job if they did...sorry sometimes mom can't afford to risk being fired over  every bug.

True. I don't care about colds and runny noses, but if your child has a fever don't give them tylenol and send them to school. Kwim?

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I always cross my hands over my chest when I walk in public stairwells-

Quoting specialwingz:

If it came down to sending my child to school with a cold or losing my job for having to stay home with them, I'd send the child to school and keep my job.  It's what puts the roof over our heads, food in our bellies and pays the utilities.  Getting fired from my job would NOT be an option.

When I was growing up, the only time kids stayed home is if they had something really serious that had them bed ridden.  Students rarely got sick and missed school.  I guess we had stronger immunity systems or something.  We didn't carry around hand sanitizer everywhere we went.  We had to bring Kleenexes to school because kids DO get sniffles and need them.  No need to stay home.  And, somehow, the whole class didn't end up sick with a bunch of parents whining about it.

Nowadays, all I hear is younger mothers complaining about how someone else got their kids sick.  When in all reality, the kids could have picked up a bug ANYWHERE!  The cart handle at the grocery store, handrails on stairs in public places, even in their own homes.

None of us wants our kids to get sick.  But, when they do, I think way too  much energy is spent on blaming someone else.  And, the expectation that parents should risk losing their jobs over it, is way inappropriate.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:11 PM

My school expects kids wth head cold/no fever to attend.  They even say so.  They are only allowed 3 sick days a year.  I would encourage your teacher to handwash more often and not share stuff at school.

I don't send my kids to school puking or with a fever but there is no way to keep them out with a head cold.  I would be fired and the kids would be truant.  They have head colds at least several days every month in the winter.

specialwingz
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Most people teach their kids to hold handrails.  It's safer for a child (adults too for that matter) to hold onto handrails on stairs and escalators.  

Quoting Sisteract:

I always cross my hands over my chest when I walk in public stairwells-

Quoting specialwingz:

If it came down to sending my child to school with a cold or losing my job for having to stay home with them, I'd send the child to school and keep my job.  It's what puts the roof over our heads, food in our bellies and pays the utilities.  Getting fired from my job would NOT be an option.

When I was growing up, the only time kids stayed home is if they had something really serious that had them bed ridden.  Students rarely got sick and missed school.  I guess we had stronger immunity systems or something.  We didn't carry around hand sanitizer everywhere we went.  We had to bring Kleenexes to school because kids DO get sniffles and need them.  No need to stay home.  And, somehow, the whole class didn't end up sick with a bunch of parents whining about it.

Nowadays, all I hear is younger mothers complaining about how someone else got their kids sick.  When in all reality, the kids could have picked up a bug ANYWHERE!  The cart handle at the grocery store, handrails on stairs in public places, even in their own homes.

None of us wants our kids to get sick.  But, when they do, I think way too  much energy is spent on blaming someone else.  And, the expectation that parents should risk losing their jobs over it, is way inappropriate.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Some parents can't afford that many days off of work and would be at a high risk of LOSING that job if they did...sorry sometimes mom can't afford to risk being fired over  every bug.

True. I don't care about colds and runny noses, but if your child has a fever don't give them tylenol and send them to school. Kwim?

How many parents have the time to stop and take their kid's temperature every morning before school? Unless they're puking or on the potty, manytimes morning grumpies are treated as such. I was rough on my kids more than once in the mornings, not realizing they really were sick!

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

Rhiannon1980
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM
I agree but you also spred the germs 48-72 hours before you show symptoms of being sick. So most of the time kids don't even know they are sick untill after they have already shared with everyone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM
My little guy has had a fever for the past 3 days. Today, it's very low and he's acting fine. I still called into work and kept him home.

I'm with you. If your child has even a slight fever, keep him/her home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:29 PM
This is so true. My kids have all had Fifths Disease, several times for my middle son. And by the time he's rashy and fevered, he's actually no longer contagious, it's the couple days before that that he could pass it on. I keep him home because he's miserable, but he could go to school because he wouldn't pass it on at that point.

Quoting Rhiannon1980:

I agree but you also spred the germs 48-72 hours before you show symptoms of being sick. So most of the time kids don't even know they are sick untill after they have already shared with everyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM
My boys have run low fevers with no other symptom. So, in this case they go to school just like I don't give them meds with low fevers. If there are additional symptoms, I absolutely keep them home. It isn't as easy as fever= no school.

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting Ktina11:

My kids are usually very healthy luckily. I teach them that school is their job and number one priority. Colds and minor fevers without feeling super crappy...they go to school. High fever, vomitting, absolutely feeling miserable, they stay home. It does suck...but I can't call in everytime I sneeze or cough. I don't want them to think it is okay for them to do this either. I agree it is a balance of when to send to school and when to stay home. There are many variables.

If your child has a fever that means they are contagious and you sending them to school that way is just getting other peoples children sick. Since all the special needs kids *most with weak/compromised immune systems* are now mainstreamed with your kids you are getting them sick and most of them don't just get sick, they get SICK.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting Woodbabe:

How many parents have the time to stop and take their kid's temperature every morning before school? Unless they're puking or on the potty, manytimes morning grumpies are treated as such. I was rough on my kids more than once in the mornings, not realizing they really were sick!

I'm not talking about not knowing. I'm talking about knowingly masking the child's fever with meds and sending them to school. I know what you mean about not knowing. On Monday morning I got the kids up and ready for school and my 6 yr old sat on the couch and started crying and then just threw up. I had NO IDEA he was sick!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN