Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

http://news.yahoo.com/zimmerman-stuns-court-waives-stand-ground-hearing-trayvon-162305101--abc-news-topstories.html

The defense for GZ has apparently waived his right for his scheduled, Stand Your Ground hearing and will roll through right to trial in June.

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Replies (21-30):
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

No doubt.  He played cop, judge and jury on TM and apparently he does not want to face a jury himself.   

Quoting OneToughMami:

I can't believe there are still people out there defending this though. Saying it was acceptable for him to pull the SYG laws out knowing had he followed simple directions he wouldn't be going through this mess and a kid would still be alive.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't think they did this for a plea deal. If you read the entire link and the other read more link, the defense is trying to get a hold   of TM social media records, records from the girl TM was on the phone with or transcripts of some sort and time and money were running out ahead of the April deadline. They didn't give up the right to use the Stand your Ground defense, now it will all just be rolled into the trial in the summer. I think they did it to get more time to raise money, and time to get more time. It was legal maneuvering. Could be wrong, but I don't think he is looking for a plea. Guess we will find out this summer.

OneToughMami
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:42 PM

scared that jury might not be nice.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

No doubt.  He played cop, judge and jury on TM and apparently he does not want to face a jury himself.   

Quoting OneToughMami:

I can't believe there are still people out there defending this though. Saying it was acceptable for him to pull the SYG laws out knowing had he followed simple directions he wouldn't be going through this mess and a kid would still be alive.

OneToughMami
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I don't think they did this for a plea deal. If you read the entire link and the other read more link, the defense is trying to get a hold   of TM social media records, records from the girl TM was on the phone with or transcripts of some sort and time and money were running out ahead of the April deadline. They didn't give up the right to use the Stand your Ground defense, now it will all just be rolled into the trial in the summer. I think they did it to get more time to raise money, and time to get more time. It was legal maneuvering. Could be wrong, but I don't think he is looking for a plea. Guess we will find out this summer.

What is a kid's social media records going to really prove?

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:51 PM
2 moms liked this

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say they are going to use it as proof Trayvon was not the angel everyone i.e. the media has made him out to be. They want the jury to see a tough punk that had an attitude, talked like a hoodrat, did drugs, etc. it paints a picture of what Zimmerman said he saw that night and what he said he fought with that night. They think it will help sway the jury. If I had to guess that is what I am thinking. They might also be looking to see if he had any gang ties. 

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

OneToughMami
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:53 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh right because kids never act differently on Facebook than in real life. No one ever acts more tough on the internet!

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say they are going to use it as proof Trayvon was not the angel everyone i.e. the media has made him out to be. They want the jury to see a tough punk that had an attitude, talked like a hoodrat, did drugs, etc. it paints a picture of what Zimmerman said he saw that night and what he said he fought with that night. They think it will help sway the jury. If I had to guess that is what I am thinking. They might also be looking to see if he had any gang ties. 

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM
4 moms liked this

Refresh my mind, what did GZ say he saw TM do or say that night that might be connected to social media?

What do your comments below have to do with night in question? Further, wouldn't GZ have to have had prior knowledge of these events/affiliations for them to be pertinent to the night of the killing?

The case for killing him can not be made after the fact/commission of the crime.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe the guilt is starting to get to him.

GLWerth
by Gina on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:05 PM
3 moms liked this

Ah yes, put the victim on trial. That is the last resort of the guilty.

Much hand wringing about him putting stupid things on Facebook (which most teenage boys do at some point).

OH, he might have smoked pot! (Another thing that many, many teenagers do).

None of those things could have been known by Mr. Zimmerman, nor do they give Mr. Zimmerman the right to act as judge, jury, and executioner for a young man walking back from the store.

If the man had STAYED IN HIS CAR, he'd still be patrolling the neighborhood, making himself feel like a big man and Mr. Martin would be alive.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

First you can slow your roll with me. She asked me what the defense might want with his social media records. I gave her an educated guess. If social media records show he has past affiliation with these types of behavior it goes to character. The defense is going to try and paint the worst possible picture of this kid so Zimmerman doesn't look like he stalked and shot an innocent teenager out buying skittles. That is their job. No Zimmerman wouldn't have to have prior knowledge of any of this. He has maintained from day one that Trayvon attacked him first, if they have evidence that he has past behaviors or affiliations that lend themselves to this, it would be pertinent in the case. That is all I am saying. We all know cases like this are a three ring circus. I personally think he should have been charged with manslaughter based on the current evidence we have been supplied with. I think he was charged with 2nd degree murder because of public outrage, not the basis of law. After I see the trial I may feel differently. All I do know is that if this moron would have stayed in his car and not have tried to be a rent a cop this child would still be here today. 

Quoting Sisteract:

Refresh my mind, what did GZ say he saw TM do or say that night that might be connected to social media?

What do your comments below have to do with night in question? Further, wouldn't GZ have to have had prior knowledge of these events/affiliations for them to be pertinent to the night of the killing?

The case for killing him can not be made after the fact/commission of the crime.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)