Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

http://news.yahoo.com/zimmerman-stuns-court-waives-stand-ground-hearing-trayvon-162305101--abc-news-topstories.html

The defense for GZ has apparently waived his right for his scheduled, Stand Your Ground hearing and will roll through right to trial in June.

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Replies (41-50):
Lurion
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

His brother was on all the talk shows last week saying SYG didn't apply but making some argument about how many times your head can be bashed against the sidewalk before you die. How poor George was screaming for help for over a minute...

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Jodi Aries is trying the same thing right now.  Blame the victim.

I don't care what the TM said on FB.  It's irrelevant to this case.  What is relevant is GZ gusto for his highly self-inflated position of neighborhood watch captain. 

Quoting GLWerth:

Ah yes, put the victim on trial. That is the last resort of the guilty.

Much hand wringing about him putting stupid things on Facebook (which most teenage boys do at some point).

OH, he might have smoked pot! (Another thing that many, many teenagers do).

None of those things could have been known by Mr. Zimmerman, nor do they give Mr. Zimmerman the right to act as judge, jury, and executioner for a young man walking back from the store.

If the man had STAYED IN HIS CAR, he'd still be patrolling the neighborhood, making himself feel like a big man and Mr. Martin would be alive.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I don't think they did this for a plea deal. If you read the entire link and the other read more link, the defense is trying to get a hold   of TM social media records, records from the girl TM was on the phone with or transcripts of some sort and time and money were running out ahead of the April deadline. They didn't give up the right to use the Stand your Ground defense, now it will all just be rolled into the trial in the summer. I think they did it to get more time to raise money, and time to get more time. It was legal maneuvering. Could be wrong, but I don't think he is looking for a plea. Guess we will find out this summer.

LADYxGHOST
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:55 AM

He wasn't the neighborhood watch captain. He just watched the neighborhood, not hte same thing.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:58 AM
1 mom liked this

You noticied that TOO.  I couldn't believe how hardy he's looking.   

Quoting kailu1835:

SOMEBODY's been eating good.

Sorry... back on topic.

They didn't take it off the table.  They left it open to take place at the same time as his defense trial?

LADYxGHOST
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Didn't you know everything a person writes on FB or even CM is TRUE, 100% Lagit? What would ever make you think anyone would lie online to make themselves look better. I for one know better. Everything online is true, especially if written by a teen.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Of course they do. That is the job of the defense however deplorable it may be. ;-(

Quoting OneToughMami:

Oh right because kids never act differently on Facebook than in real life. No one ever acts more tough on the internet!

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say they are going to use it as proof Trayvon was not the angel everyone i.e. the media has made him out to be. They want the jury to see a tough punk that had an attitude, talked like a hoodrat, did drugs, etc. it paints a picture of what Zimmerman said he saw that night and what he said he fought with that night. They think it will help sway the jury. If I had to guess that is what I am thinking. They might also be looking to see if he had any gang ties. 

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I don't think they did this for a plea deal. If you read the entire link and the other read more link, the defense is trying to get a hold   of TM social media records, records from the girl TM was on the phone with or transcripts of some sort and time and money were running out ahead of the April deadline. They didn't give up the right to use the Stand your Ground defense, now it will all just be rolled into the trial in the summer. I think they did it to get more time to raise money, and time to get more time. It was legal maneuvering. Could be wrong, but I don't think he is looking for a plea. Guess we will find out this summer.

What is a kid's social media records going to really prove?

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:39 AM
I have known teens who are straight A students, never got in trouble a day in their lives, and make smart day to day decisions act like total thugs when it comes to Facebook. People need to remember that who a person is on line may be a total facade made up to be someone they're not.
Quoting LADYxGHOST:

Didn't you know everything a person writes on FB or even CM is TRUE, 100% Lagit? What would ever make you think anyone would lie online to make themselves look better. I for one know better. Everything online is true, especially if written by a teen.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Of course they do. That is the job of the defense however deplorable it may be. ;-(

Quoting OneToughMami:

Oh right because kids never act differently on Facebook than in real life. No one ever acts more tough on the internet!

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say they are going to use it as proof Trayvon was not the angel everyone i.e. the media has made him out to be. They want the jury to see a tough punk that had an attitude, talked like a hoodrat, did drugs, etc. it paints a picture of what Zimmerman said he saw that night and what he said he fought with that night. They think it will help sway the jury. If I had to guess that is what I am thinking. They might also be looking to see if he had any gang ties. 

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

babiesbabybaby development

LADYxGHOST
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:51 AM

I know, I think we have all know a kid or two like that in our lives.  Only we didn't have fb.  The funny thing is, many of these posters are doing the same thing right now. Why post anon? Acting bigger than you are, that's why.  Everyone is braver and more cocky online, kids are not different, only they have less filter and more hormones.

Quoting kailu1835:

I have known teens who are straight A students, never got in trouble a day in their lives, and make smart day to day decisions act like total thugs when it comes to Facebook. People need to remember that who a person is on line may be a total facade made up to be someone they're not.
Quoting LADYxGHOST:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting OneToughMami:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

GLWerth
by Gina on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:27 AM

Yep, exactly.

I've seen some really great kids say some stupid stuff on Facebook and Twitter, they just get carried away and forget that once it's out there, you can't take it back. Posturing and trying on different personae is one of the things you do as a teenager. Making mistakes and doing dumb things is another.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Jodi Aries is trying the same thing right now.  Blame the victim.

I don't care what the TM said on FB.  It's irrelevant to this case.  What is relevant is GZ gusto for his highly self-inflated position of neighborhood watch captain. 

Quoting GLWerth:

Ah yes, put the victim on trial. That is the last resort of the guilty.

Much hand wringing about him putting stupid things on Facebook (which most teenage boys do at some point).

OH, he might have smoked pot! (Another thing that many, many teenagers do).

None of those things could have been known by Mr. Zimmerman, nor do they give Mr. Zimmerman the right to act as judge, jury, and executioner for a young man walking back from the store.

If the man had STAYED IN HIS CAR, he'd still be patrolling the neighborhood, making himself feel like a big man and Mr. Martin would be alive.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I wonder if the decision may have something to do with his GF lying.  They are considering perjury charges on her.  That will hurt the prosecution.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Good, I hope this man doesn't walk away from this. I hope he serves jail time. Too bad he won't get the punishment he deserves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)