Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The R Word Movement

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM
  • 199 Replies
6 moms liked this

Tomorrow is March 6 and there is a movement to end the everyday derogatory use of the R word. Over 350k people have taken the pledge. Will you?

Is this a movement you would support? Or is this a term  you plan to continue to use in any way you wish?

For info on taking the pledge click here.

I approve this message!

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:03 PM

One of my bosses has a son with Downs syndrome and I've heard him use the r word.  I did a double take when I heard it, because I thought he would be the last person in the world I would hear say it.  We were in public, so I didn't call him out on it.  I've never heard him say it again, so I wonder if the look of shock on my face made him think twice about saying it again.  I'll take the pledge, it's easy, since I don't use the word anyways. 

The.Hug.Life
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't use it very often anyway. Why not?

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't use the word so pledging not to use it is easy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Rubberbiscuit:

One of my bosses has a son with Downs syndrome and I've heard him use the r word.  I did a double take when I heard it, because I thought he would be the last person in the world I would hear say it.  We were in public, so I didn't call him out on it.  I've never heard him say it again, so I wonder if the look of shock on my face made him think twice about saying it again.  I'll take the pledge, it's easy, since I don't use the word anyways. 

I used it all the time in everyday conversation, then I had a special needs child.  I cringe when I hear the word used, but I don't say anything because I know that most of the time the person saying it means no harm.

PestPatti
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I think some of the women I work with should take the pledge.   Then maybe I wouldn't have to explain to them why they are using the word incorrectly.

iuangina
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I never use this word because I was taught it was a bad word by my parents. My brother was born with Down syndrome and he was anything but that. He passed away 10 years ago and I miss him everyday. People who use this word disgust me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Quoting iuangina:

I never use this word because I was taught it was a bad word by my parents. My brother was born with Down syndrome and he was anything but that. He passed away 10 years ago and I miss him everyday. People who use this word disgust me.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

kiriis
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM
7 moms liked this
You know, not everyone get all up in arms over things like this. It's a word, just like the N word or the F word. People let everything bother them now it seems. Just my opinion thought.
Debmomto2girls
by Debbie on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:22 PM
I never use the word.
frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM
7 moms liked this

Considering that it is used in more than one context, it seems silly to try to ban it. I've used the word in regards to horticulture and music. So are we banning words too against the 1st amendment? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured