Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Tomorrow is March 6 and there is a movement to end the everyday derogatory use of the R word. Over 350k people have taken the pledge. Will you?

Is this a movement you would support? Or is this a term  you plan to continue to use in any way you wish?

For info on taking the pledge click here.

I approve this message!

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Me neither.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I never use the word.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
needadvice1983
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. I have a special needs child and the word doesn't offend me. I know people aren't using it like that. It's just a slang word. 

Quoting kiriis:

You know, not everyone get all up in arms over things like this. It's a word, just like the N word or the F word. People let everything bother them now it seems. Just my opinion thought.

squeekers
http://www.richdemuro.com/home/2014/12/17/how-to-get-a-refund-from-google-play-for-in-app-purchases-your-kids-made-without-your-permission
Today at 12:41 AM
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:45 PM

My brother did an interview on NPR years ago about the R word. Our niece has Down Syndrome.

http://www.npr.org/2009/09/08/112479383/rethinking-retarded-should-it-leave-the-lexicon

I'm an secular Humanist.
I love sharing my opinions about a lot of things.
SAHM of one teen DD. Married since 1989.
Awarenesses I follow: Epilepsy, Dyscalculia & Down Syndrome.
I am: Lactose & Alcohol intolerant.
I support: gay pride, gun rights, Obama, pro-choice and yes, I'm a Liberal.
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Quoting frogbender:

Considering that it is used in more than one context, it seems silly to try to ban it. I've used the word in regards to horticulture and music. So are we banning words too against the 1st amendment? 

The movement is against the use of the word in everyday conversation and used in a derogatory way, not in the sense that you use the word.

The word isn't being banned. People are participating in banning if from their Own vocabularies. 

I would never be behind banning a word as you pointed out the use of all words is our 1st Amendment right.

Retrokitty
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:48 PM
My brother and sister are disabled so I've never used it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Quoting kiriis:

You know, not everyone get all up in arms over things like this. It's a word, just like the N word or the F word. People let everything bother them now it seems. Just my opinion thought.

Would you use the N word in front of a black person? I'm going to go out on a limb and say probably not.

SuperChicken
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I don't use the word in a derogatory way, but I'm not one for signing pledges so I won't bother with that.   I don't see why people would want to say a derogatory word if they know they can be hurting someone, even if someone they know who knows someone with a disability said they weren't offended one time.  

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Quoting SuperChicken:

I don't use the word in a derogatory way, but I'm not one for signing pledges so I won't bother with that.   I don't see why people would want to say a derogatory word if they know they can be hurting someone, even if someone they know who knows someone with a disability said they weren't offended one time.  

This is exactly how I feel about it also. I went through a few years being horribly offended anytime I heard or saw the word used. I am no longer personally offended but I know that many are and it's why I choose to not use that word and many other words. I don't even use them in private.

SuperChicken
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting SuperChicken:

This is exactly how I feel about it also. I went through a few years being horribly offended anytime I heard or saw the word used. I am no longer personally offended but I know that many are and it's why I choose to not use that word and many other words. I don't even use them in private.

Yes.  I see it as basic courtesy.  I don't like to hurt people.  So I try not to do or say things that have a good chance of hurting someone.   I sometimes make mistakes, but I still try.  

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Been struggling with this one lately as apparently this is the thing to say amongst the neighborhood boys when something is stupid: it is "retarded".

**deep sigh**

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN