Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tomorrow is March 6 and there is a movement to end the everyday derogatory use of the R word. Over 350k people have taken the pledge. Will you?

Is this a movement you would support? Or is this a term  you plan to continue to use in any way you wish?

For info on taking the pledge click here.

I approve this message!

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Replies (151-160):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

If parents did these things already then petitions, pledges, and awareness wouldn't be needed. Unfortunately not all parents parent as you and I do.  The result is more education needed.  If a few people in this post have taken pause to consider what many of us already know and practice imagine how many more might be reached? 

There are many people unaffected by special needs children or adults. They do not have them in their homes or families. Because of this their understanding of how hurtful this word can be is limited. By telling people how it feels and showing them video of Real People hurt by these comments it may have an impact.

One person at a time.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Here's the thing, when you begin to suggest petitions, obtain signatures, symbolically ask others to make promises, all you are doing is allowing others to be lazy. You don't need all that. Simply raise your kids with education, ethics, etc..that's all you need. If parents would just do this, there would not be futile attempts such as pledges and such.,
KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM
You are aware, as a rule, pledges don't work, right? A parent being a positive example is the most effective method.
Quoting TruthSeeker.:

If parents did these things already then petitions, pledges, and awareness wouldn't be needed. Unfortunately not all parents parent as you and I do.  The result is more education needed.  If a few people in this post have taken pause to consider what many of us already know and practice imagine how many more might be reached? 

There are many people unaffected by special needs children or adults. They do not have them in their homes or families. Because of this their understanding of how hurtful this word can be is limited. By telling people how it feels and showing them video of Real People hurt by these comments it may have an impact.

One person at a time.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Here's the thing, when you begin to suggest petitions, obtain signatures, symbolically ask others to make promises, all you are doing is allowing others to be lazy. You don't need all that. Simply raise your kids with education, ethics, etc..that's all you need. If parents would just do this, there would not be futile attempts such as pledges and such.,
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I agree that being a positive example is the MOST effective method. I also think that part of being a positive example is not using this word in a derogatory manner in front of your children and encouraging them to not use this word derogatorily and to stand up for others when this word is used.

Quoting KamWorthy:

You are aware, as a rule, pledges don't work, right? A parent being a positive example is the most effective method.
Quoting TruthSeeker.:

One person at a time.

Quoting KamWorthy:

tambrathegreat
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I've already taken that pledge and I have actively crusaded against it.  I hope more people will join due to your post. Good luck!

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Quoting kiriis:

You know, not everyone get all up in arms over things like this. It's a word, just like the N word or the F word. People let everything bother them now it seems. Just my opinion thought.

there is one in every batch (er-well- in this case, at least 4) 

smh

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM
In what utopia do you live where all parents do that? It would be nice, and how I am raising my kids, but I also live in the real world. The real world where not only do parents not teach their not to be hurtful, but actually encourage their kids through words and example to be hateful and hurtful.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting canadianmom1974:

So clearly you missed every post where it was said that no one was trying to ban the word outright, just incorrect, hurtful usage of it.

Quoting KamWorthy:

You do what you feel you need to do, however, I will continue to educate others on how to use words in their proper context instead of banning them altogether because of ignorance.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Lol, drama? Well, if that's what you read ...

At any rate, as someone who has been around people with special needs literally my entire life - from my uncle who was severely affected by Cerebral Palsy, to the many kids my family, and then I myself, babysat and did unofficial respite with, to my current job working in a high school program/class for kids with special needs - I do not use that word.

I did not sign the pledge as I already don't use it, but I do find it to be a good way to spread awareness to people who may not know how hurtful it can be to use it as slang or an insult.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Dramatic much? Look, I don't need to sign the pledge to state I will never use the word RETARTED in a derogatory way, because I never have, never will. Now, if you have, then by all means sign it momma, sign it and Godspeed to you with being able to control your tongue from here on out and never again insult someone with the R word. You can do it...I'm rooting for ya!

Quoting canadianmom1974:

You are being deliberately obtuse, and I find this to be the attitude of an objectionable person. The sort of person I am raising my kids not to be.

It is obvious from many of the replies that no one is talking about banning the word, we are talking about each saying that we will not use it in an incorrect, hurtful manner. Something I'm not sure you're capable of doing.

Quoting KamWorthy:

You mean RETARTED? What's wrong with the word RETARTED? I mean as long as you aren't using it out of context or as an insult...sorry, but the word RETARDED simply means delayed development. I'll not let the ignorance of others who choose to use it incorrectly and for insults, dictate me using in the manner which it was intended. "My sisters hearing was retarded due to a fever of 105 when she was 4 years old" get it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coronado25
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I think a pledge and a march to ban the "r" word, with all its good intentions, is RETARDED.  It is RETARDED because this kind of public demonstration will only irritate those who have always been repulsed by the nasty bullying kids at school who used it to tease the mentally challenged or developmentally RETARDED kids in the special needs class. I am annoyed that this hoopla is surrounding the word, instead of the nasty attitude and negativity coming out of the mouths of those who choose to use the word to bully and insult those who cannot help that they are mentally RETARDED, this will delay or ultimately squash, yes RETARD, the show of  respect and/or alliance that the "r" word movement intends to gain. 

I'm going to start using the word gay again and not to mean homosexual right now.

My sailing skills have been RETARDED since I bought my new sailing dinghy, as I have yet to take it out yet.  But the wind is so light today, I think I might try to take it out and be gay regardless that I might look like a sailing RETARD doing so.

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this
This is the route I'm taking....it is the route that was taken with me, and my mother's mother as well....so it has a pretty darn good success rate!
Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I agree that being a positive example is the MOST effective method. I also think that part of being a positive example is not using this word in a derogatory manner in front of your children and encouraging them to not use this word derogatorily and to stand up for others when this word is used.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

One person at a time.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:08 PM

nah- some people are just stupid like that.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

In what utopia do you live where all parents do that? It would be nice, and how I am raising my kids, but I also live in the real world. The real world where not only do parents not teach their not to be hurtful, but actually encourage their kids through words and example to be hateful and hurtful.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting canadianmom1974:

So clearly you missed every post where it was said that no one was trying to ban the word outright, just incorrect, hurtful usage of it.

Quoting KamWorthy:

You do what you feel you need to do, however, I will continue to educate others on how to use words in their proper context instead of banning them altogether because of ignorance.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

At any rate, as someone who has been around people with special needs literally my entire life - from my uncle who was severely affected by Cerebral Palsy, to the many kids my family, and then I myself, babysat and did unofficial respite with, to my current job working in a high school program/class for kids with special needs - I do not use that word.

I did not sign the pledge as I already don't use it, but I do find it to be a good way to spread awareness to people who may not know how hurtful it can be to use it as slang or an insult.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Dramatic much? Look, I don't need to sign the pledge to state I will never use the word RETARTED in a derogatory way, because I never have, never will. Now, if you have, then by all means sign it momma, sign it and Godspeed to you with being able to control your tongue from here on out and never again insult someone with the R word. You can do it...I'm rooting for ya!

Quoting canadianmom1974:

You are being deliberately obtuse, and I find this to be the attitude of an objectionable person. The sort of person I am raising my kids not to be.

It is obvious from many of the replies that no one is talking about banning the word, we are talking about each saying that we will not use it in an incorrect, hurtful manner. Something I'm not sure you're capable of doing.

Quoting KamWorthy:

You mean RETARTED? What's wrong with the word RETARTED? I mean as long as you aren't using it out of context or as an insult...sorry, but the word RETARDED simply means delayed development. I'll not let the ignorance of others who choose to use it incorrectly and for insults, dictate me using in the manner which it was intended. "My sisters hearing was retarded due to a fever of 105 when she was 4 years old" get it?

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Well then, it sounds like we need a pledge for parents to promise to raise their children ethically, and with empathy, and compassion instead.of setting the bar so very low.....raise that baby higher!! :)
Quoting canadianmom1974:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured