Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Tomorrow is March 6 and there is a movement to end the everyday derogatory use of the R word. Over 350k people have taken the pledge. Will you?

Is this a movement you would support? Or is this a term  you plan to continue to use in any way you wish?

For info on taking the pledge click here.

I approve this message!

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Replies (171-180):
greenie63
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

delilahsmom1177
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I think we are all getting too sensitive! Christ what next you can't say "fat".

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

USBrit
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Perhaps you should look up the word retardation......and yes "SLOW" is the key to anything that starts begins with retard. So root word or not they ALL have the same meaning.....anyway....it is silly to argue the word, since my point was that the word is not the problem!!!

Quoting frogbender:

No, the meaning is not the same. Retarded means slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress. Retardant means a substance that is used to slow the speed of the reaction of a substance. They may have the same root word, but the meaning is entirely different.

Quoting USBrit:

Yes, I may have mis-spoke the "proper" word or mis-spelled, my point was that the meaning behind those words.....are the same! 

Quoting frogbender:

They aren't flame retarded clothes. They are flame retardant clothes. And your point is not missed. I actually agree because I have used the word in both music and horticulture. 

Quoting USBrit:

Seriously??? where do you think the word comes from?? They ALL mean the same thing!! But, there you go....my point was completely missed.

Quoting frogbender:

We call them flame retardant. A retardant is a substance capable of slowing the speed of a reaction. So there is a difference in meaning.

Quoting USBrit:

I have a "retarded" grandson......it is a word that by definition means slow....it is PEOPLE who have perverted the use of the word! Are we really that small that we have to eliminate a word from use. So what do we call flame retarded clothes. special clothes??? We need to wake up and learn to use words properly with their original intent, not eliminate them!! :( What a world we live in!

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM
*sigh* Good luck with the whole English language/communication thing. It's going well for you, I see. There are still no fire retarded clothes.
Quoting USBrit:

Perhaps you should look up the word retardation......and yes "SLOW" is the key to anything that starts begins with retard. So root word or not they ALL have the same meaning.....anyway....it is silly to argue the word, since my point was that the word is not the problem!!!

Quoting frogbender:

No, the meaning is not the same. Retarded means slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress. Retardant means a substance that is used to slow the speed of the reaction of a substance. They may have the same root word, but the meaning is entirely different.

Quoting USBrit:

Yes, I may have mis-spoke the "proper" word or mis-spelled, my point was that the meaning behind those words.....are the same! 

Quoting frogbender:

They aren't flame retarded clothes. They are flame retardant clothes. And your point is not missed. I actually agree because I have used the word in both music and horticulture. 

Quoting USBrit:

Seriously??? where do you think the word comes from?? They ALL mean the same thing!! But, there you go....my point was completely missed.

Quoting frogbender:

We call them flame retardant. A retardant is a substance capable of slowing the speed of a reaction. So there is a difference in meaning.

Quoting USBrit:

I have a "retarded" grandson......it is a word that by definition means slow....it is PEOPLE who have perverted the use of the word! Are we really that small that we have to eliminate a word from use. So what do we call flame retarded clothes. special clothes??? We need to wake up and learn to use words properly with their original intent, not eliminate them!! :( What a world we live in!

USBrit
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:27 PM

When all else fails just start to bash and name call. Folks like you who just want to mince words and not address the real issue that was being discussed. My Grandson is severly mentally retarded and changing the word to become more PC doesn't change what the doctors have diagnosed. By the way, I have done very well in my life and acting like the word retarded doesn't exist is the least of my worries, I would rather address the reason for all the children that are diagnosed with retardation, rather than worry about what PC word to use instead of the actual diagnosis. 

Quoting frogbender:

*sigh* Good luck with the whole English language/communication thing. It's going well for you, I see. There are still no fire retarded clothes.
Quoting USBrit:

Quoting frogbender:

Quoting USBrit:

Quoting frogbender:

Quoting USBrit:

Quoting frogbender:

Quoting USBrit:

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM

MomofRiley said she doesn't allow her children to use it in a derogatory way and you said that is exactly how it should be used. No, that is Not how it should be used. The exact opposite actually.

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

Retarded means delayed.... how is that not the right way to use the word?

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

You are mistaken. That is not how the word is suppose to be used or was intended. Either word.

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

That's exactly how the word is supposed to be used. That's like everyone deciding not to use the weird gay because some use it in a negative way. Why is it a bad thing when the word its used correctly?

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

And I'm glad my son won't ever have to be around people like you. We do not allow people that use derogatory hurtful hate speech around our family.

MrsSamMerlotte
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM
That's not what I meant at all. Of course it shouldn't be used in a derogatory way.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

MomofRiley said she doesn't allow her children to use it in a derogatory way and you said that is exactly how it should be used. No, that is Not how it should be used. The exact opposite actually.

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

You are mistaken. That is not how the word is suppose to be used or was intended. Either word.

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

That's exactly how the word is supposed to be used. That's like everyone deciding not to use the weird gay because some use it in a negative way. Why is it a bad thing when the word its used correctly?

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

And I'm glad my son won't ever have to be around people like you. We do not allow people that use derogatory hurtful hate speech around our family.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Ahhhh! Call the police! Call Obama! Run away! Someone is using a word you don't like.

I honestly don't see the big deal. It can be used in other contexts. 

"I cured cancer. This medicine will retard abnormal cell growth." "Gasp, how dare you! Shame on you! That word is disgusting!"

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Perhaps you are confused about what this movement is about. It isn't about pretending that the word does not exist. It isn't about not using the word for a proper medical diagnosis. It is not about being PC. It is about not using the word flippantly in a derogatory manner in everyday language. As it has been explained numerous times that it is hurtful and disrespectful.  

Quoting USBrit:

When all else fails just start to bash and name call. Folks like you who just want to mince words and not address the real issue that was being discussed. My Grandson is severly mentally retarded and changing the word to become more PC doesn't change what the doctors have diagnosed. By the way, I have done very well in my life and acting like the word retarded doesn't exist is the least of my worries, I would rather address the reason for all the children that are diagnosed with retardation, rather than worry about what PC word to use instead of the actual diagnosis. 

Quoting frogbender:

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh? Then we agree!!

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

That's not what I meant at all. Of course it shouldn't be used in a derogatory way.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN