Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tomorrow is March 6 and there is a movement to end the everyday derogatory use of the R word. Over 350k people have taken the pledge. Will you?

Is this a movement you would support? Or is this a term  you plan to continue to use in any way you wish?

For info on taking the pledge click here.

I approve this message!

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Replies (21-30):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Quoting Radarma:

Been struggling with this one lately as apparently this is the thing to say amongst the neighborhood boys when something is stupid: it is "retarded".

**deep sigh**

Yeah, it's still a pretty popular word, and not just among the kids.

kiriis
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM
To be honest, yes. There is a difference between a black person and a n word. A n word can be any race, not just black. It goes back to, it is a word. While one may get offened, another will not.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting kiriis:

You know, not everyone get all up in arms over things like this. It's a word, just like the N word or the F word. People let everything bother them now it seems. Just my opinion thought.

Would you use the N word in front of a black person? I'm going to go out on a limb and say probably not.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I don't use it.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Op, you're not Milhouse anymore!

LindaClement
by Linda on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:37 PM
2 moms liked this

No.

It's a word that means 'slowed or stopped.' That it is used as a slur by some is a poor reason to eliminate it from the lexicon.

Keep that up, and we won't be able to say 'kitty' or 'seriously' before you know it.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I don't use the word anyway.  So, I don't need to make a pledge.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I don't believe that you would actually say it in front of a black person. Why? You know it is offensive. Why say a word that might offend someone?

Quoting kiriis:

To be honest, yes. There is a difference between a black person and a n word. A n word can be any race, not just black. It goes back to, it is a word. While one may get offened, another will not.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting kiriis:

You know, not everyone get all up in arms over things like this. It's a word, just like the N word or the F word. People let everything bother them now it seems. Just my opinion thought.

Would you use the N word in front of a black person? I'm going to go out on a limb and say probably not.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Euphoric:

Op, you're not Milhouse anymore!

I like to mix it up :)

Donna6503
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM
It sounds retarded
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Kitty or Seriously aren't words that are used for a derogatory reason. I can think of many words "most" people don't use because they are racial slurs, vulgar, or offensive. Nothing wrong with choosing to have respect for those around you and not saying words that hurt or offend.

Not saying at all that it shouldn't be your right. It most certainly is. But, just because something is a right doesn't mean it is right:)

Quoting LindaClement:

No.

It's a word that means 'slowed or stopped.' That it is used as a slur by some is a poor reason to eliminate it from the lexicon.

Keep that up, and we won't be able to say 'kitty' or 'seriously' before you know it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured