Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tomorrow is March 6 and there is a movement to end the everyday derogatory use of the R word. Over 350k people have taken the pledge. Will you?

Is this a movement you would support? Or is this a term  you plan to continue to use in any way you wish?

For info on taking the pledge click here.

I approve this message!

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Replies (31-40):
xixCandyxix
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I only use it in the correct context. It is still a medical term and some doctors still use it. Mentally handicapped is no better IMO. No matter what way you say it, you're saying that person isn't as smart as everyone else. And my sister is mentally handicapped and I still feel this way... Not Down's. My mom fell on her stomach when she was pregnant and knocked my sister unconscious & her heart stopped, and she almost died from a lack of oxygen to her brain.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Quoting Donna6503:

It sounds retarded

Hardy har

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM

When I worked at Pizza hut, we would put the risen dough in a Retarder to retard. So I think when used in the right context it shouldn't be banned.

LindaClement
by Linda on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:02 PM

When I was 12, 'gay' meant happy and 'slow' meant retarded....

Don't think there are not a lot of other words that are going to end up on the No-Say list?

Since 'the R word' was scrubbed from polite company here, the new derogatory terms that immediately replaced it were 'handy' and 'make a wish team member'...

Until there is no insult left, there will be insulting words.

I will still ensure that the paint is retarded properly before continuing with the technique... no matter who thinks that's an insult.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Kitty or Seriously aren't words that are used for a derogatory reason. I can think of many words "most" people don't use because they are racial slurs, vulgar, or offensive. Nothing wrong with choosing to have respect for those around you and not saying words that hurt or offend.

Not saying at all that it shouldn't be your right. It most certainly is. But, just because something is a right doesn't mean it is right:)

Quoting LindaClement:

No.

It's a word that means 'slowed or stopped.' That it is used as a slur by some is a poor reason to eliminate it from the lexicon.

Keep that up, and we won't be able to say 'kitty' or 'seriously' before you know it.

kiriis
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Would, and have. Everything you do and say today offends someone somehow.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I don't believe that you would actually say it in front of a black person. Why? You know it is offensive. Why say a word that might offend someone?

Quoting kiriis:

To be honest, yes. There is a difference between a black person and a n word. A n word can be any race, not just black. It goes back to, it is a word. While one may get offened, another will not.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting kiriis:

You know, not everyone get all up in arms over things like this. It's a word, just like the N word or the F word. People let everything bother them now it seems. Just my opinion thought.

Would you use the N word in front of a black person? I'm going to go out on a limb and say probably not.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting xixCandyxix:

I only use it in the correct context. It is still a medical term and some doctors still use it. Mentally handicapped is no better IMO. No matter what way you say it, you're saying that person isn't as smart as everyone else. And my sister is mentally handicapped and I still feel this way... Not Down's. My mom fell on her stomach when she was pregnant and knocked my sister unconscious & her heart stopped, and she almost died from a lack of oxygen to her brain.

The movement isn't about banning the word. It's about taking it out of everyday derogatory conversations.

My uncle was diagnosed as Mentally Retarded 60. I'm sure it is now termed ID(intellectual disability). The Dr used forceps to tightly and  mental retardation was the result.  

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a special needs child too and the "r" word doesn't offend me either.

Quoting needadvice1983:

I agree. I have a special needs child and the word doesn't offend me. I know people aren't using it like that. It's just a slang word. 

Quoting kiriis:

You know, not everyone get all up in arms over things like this. It's a word, just like the N word or the F word. People let everything bother them now it seems. Just my opinion thought.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Quoting paganbaby:

When I worked at Pizza hut, we would put the risen dough in a Retarder to retard. So I think when used in the right context it shouldn't be banned.

It's not about banning the word, it's about banning it from your daily conversations where it is used in a derogatory way.

Celtic_Dragon
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Why not reclaim the word away from the derogatory stance we've put on it? We can't "end" the derogatory sense of it if you ALLOW a word that, by definition, is not an offensive word to become offensive to you. Like fat. You can take the word "fat" as something negative, or you can take it in strides and not let it become a weighted, negative word.
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I don't think retarding your paint is insulting.

Quoting LindaClement:

When I was 12, 'gay' meant happy and 'slow' meant retarded....

Don't think there are not a lot of other words that are going to end up on the No-Say list?

Since 'the R word' was scrubbed from polite company here, the new derogatory terms that immediately replaced it were 'handy' and 'make a wish team member'...

Until there is no insult left, there will be insulting words.

I will still ensure that the paint is retarded properly before continuing with the technique... no matter who thinks that's an insult.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Kitty or Seriously aren't words that are used for a derogatory reason. I can think of many words "most" people don't use because they are racial slurs, vulgar, or offensive. Nothing wrong with choosing to have respect for those around you and not saying words that hurt or offend.

Not saying at all that it shouldn't be your right. It most certainly is. But, just because something is a right doesn't mean it is right:)

Quoting LindaClement:

No.

It's a word that means 'slowed or stopped.' That it is used as a slur by some is a poor reason to eliminate it from the lexicon.

Keep that up, and we won't be able to say 'kitty' or 'seriously' before you know it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured