Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tomorrow is March 6 and there is a movement to end the everyday derogatory use of the R word. Over 350k people have taken the pledge. Will you?

Is this a movement you would support? Or is this a term  you plan to continue to use in any way you wish?

For info on taking the pledge click here.

I approve this message!

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Replies (41-50):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Glad you aren't offended by it. I'm also not offended by the word but I know many are. That is why I choose to not use that word.

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

I have a special needs child too and the "r" word doesn't offend me either.

Quoting needadvice1983:

I agree. I have a special needs child and the word doesn't offend me. I know people aren't using it like that. It's just a slang word. 

Quoting kiriis:

You know, not everyone get all up in arms over things like this. It's a word, just like the N word or the F word. People let everything bother them now it seems. Just my opinion thought.

Jenniy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this
signed
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Linda on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM

So... when I say to my husband, who has an eye for detail and is meticulously neat and tidy, when his learning about 'where things go in the kitchen' has clearly been arrested entirely... it's not 'retarded'?

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I don't think retarding your paint is insulting.

Quoting LindaClement:

When I was 12, 'gay' meant happy and 'slow' meant retarded....

Don't think there are not a lot of other words that are going to end up on the No-Say list?

Since 'the R word' was scrubbed from polite company here, the new derogatory terms that immediately replaced it were 'handy' and 'make a wish team member'...

Until there is no insult left, there will be insulting words.

I will still ensure that the paint is retarded properly before continuing with the technique... no matter who thinks that's an insult.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Kitty or Seriously aren't words that are used for a derogatory reason. I can think of many words "most" people don't use because they are racial slurs, vulgar, or offensive. Nothing wrong with choosing to have respect for those around you and not saying words that hurt or offend.

Not saying at all that it shouldn't be your right. It most certainly is. But, just because something is a right doesn't mean it is right:)

Quoting LindaClement:

No.

It's a word that means 'slowed or stopped.' That it is used as a slur by some is a poor reason to eliminate it from the lexicon.

Keep that up, and we won't be able to say 'kitty' or 'seriously' before you know it.

Dee0886
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Totally agree.

Quoting kiriis:

You know, not everyone get all up in arms over things like this. It's a word, just like the N word or the F word. People let everything bother them now it seems. Just my opinion thought.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you asking if it's ok to call him retarded because he forgot where something goes in the kitchen? This would be everyday use of the word in a derogatory manor. You know he isn't retarded. He simply forgot or "Chose" to not put something back up. If you want to keep on using the word in whatever manor you wish simply continue. I'm not here to brow beat anyone into having a little compassion and thinking about others before they spout off words in public that can hurt others.

Quoting LindaClement:

So... when I say to my husband, who has an eye for detail and is meticulously neat and tidy, when his learning about 'where things go in the kitchen' has clearly been arrested entirely... it's not 'retarded'?

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

SarahBethK
by New Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

After Rosa's Law was signed in 2010, this really shouldn't be an issue anymore...

SarahBethK
by New Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a derogatory word. Everyone knows it is a derogatory word. So stop pretending like "Oh I only meant 'slow." No, you didn't.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't know this.

I detest people using that word in any manner that is not directly related to the medical term.

People are so oblivious to how asinine they sound at times.  Or they just don't care.

Thanks for the heads up.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never used it in a derogatory way, even as a kid/teen. I do use it in it's original/dictionary meaning...specifically to one of my dogs. (his original/previous owners have retarded his growth and abilities).

I was at a mediation yesterday, and in the room with 2 attorneys, the elder said something 'was retarded'....and he was using it derogatory, not as originally meant.

LindaClement
by Linda on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

No... not him: his learning. It's clearly stopped...

If you think he's 'choosing' not to put things where they belong, you're ascribing a level of malice that I know is not present.

The thing about insults (and slurs of all kinds) is that people who hear them think they know all about the attitudes and beliefs of the people who say them... and conversely, a genuinely hateful bigot is completely free as long as they're silent.

Insults are only insulting if:

1. the 'insulted' agrees that they are insults and,

2. that the insult applies to them.

No one outside the 'insulted' person's head has anything to do with either.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Are you asking if it's ok to call him retarded because he forgot where something goes in the kitchen? This would be everyday use of the word in a derogatory manor. You know he isn't retarded. He simply forgot or "Chose" to not put something back up. If you want to keep on using the word in whatever manor you wish simply continue. I'm not here to brow beat anyone into having a little compassion and thinking about others before they spout off words in public that can hurt others.

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured