Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

"There is a special place in HELL for women.......

Posted by   + Show Post
who don't help other women". - Madeliene Albright (inspired by the spat between Tina Fey and Taylor Swift)....Thought?
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Replies (131-140):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Maturity depends on the individual.  

I know a 21 year old who is married and quite immature.  I don't see marriage lasting or her being able to go much further in life until she grows up a bit.

I know another 21 year old who is the opposite.  Not married but mature in ways that many 40 year olds lack.

As for Taylor, it is more than a bit obvious she is immature in many ways.  That's her deal.  In the overall scheme of things, her lack of maturity is entertaining.  lol  That's what she does, she entertains.

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Absolutely! There are often areas where some individuals lack maturity and other areas where they don't. Everyone is different. Taylor, from what I can see, is too thin skinned for the celebrity that has been afforded her.
Quoting FromAtoZ:

Maturity depends on the individual.  

I know a 21 year old who is married and quite immature.  I don't see marriage lasting or her being able to go much further in life until she grows up a bit.

I know another 21 year old who is the opposite.  Not married but mature in ways that many 40 year olds lack.

As for Taylor, it is more than a bit obvious she is immature in many ways.  That's her deal.  In the overall scheme of things, her lack of maturity is entertaining.  lol  That's what she does, she entertains.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you can ignore the real meaning of this quote by assuming that Albright was excusing disgusting criminal acts.  I see people aren't familiar with what Albright stood for and her support of women's success in positions of leadership.  I assume that also they are somehow not aware that part of the problem with women getting leadership positions is because of the "good ol' boys" club that they are excluded from.  I would say that in many cases it isn't even intentional, but I think anyone with a logical mind could see that more women in power will beget more women in power.  Instead of women assuming there is only one spot for a woman and fighting for that one spot, they need to be able to expand their influence so there are many potential positions.  

Call it mentoring, cronyism, or whatever, the fact is in business men use it to their advantage and women should be able to as well.

Quoting KamWorthy:

I was thinking the exact same thing when I first heard the quote originate by staunch liberal Madeleine Albright.
Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

I would say there is a special place in hell for child rapists and child abusers... not women who don't help other women. That's a bit much...

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM
There are many attributes that women are known for using to their advantage as well. Men are not the enemy, and when we can get that through our hair do's, we will find that we are all really on the same side, with the exception a few idiots from both genders. The good ol boys club is not as large as it used to be, we need to stop using them as an excuse for any and all that we may experience due to our own personal choices, character, inadeqacies etc...
Quoting stacymomof2:

I don't think you can ignore the real meaning of this quote by assuming that Albright was excusing disgusting criminal acts.  I see people aren't familiar with what Albright stood for and her support of women's success in positions of leadership.  I assume that also they are somehow not aware that part of the problem with women getting leadership positions is because of the "good ol' boys" club that they are excluded from.  I would say that in many cases it isn't even intentional, but I think anyone with a logical mind could see that more women in power will beget more women in power.  Instead of women assuming there is only one spot for a woman and fighting for that one spot, they need to be able to expand their influence so there are many potential positions.  

Call it mentoring, cronyism, or whatever, the fact is in business men use it to their advantage and women should be able to as well.

Quoting KamWorthy:

I was thinking the exact same thing when I first heard the quote originate by staunch liberal Madeleine Albright.
Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

I would say there is a special place in hell for child rapists and child abusers... not women who don't help other women. That's a bit much...

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM

No one said men were the enemy, why do you bring that up?  Do you see it as a zero sum game?  I think if you read my post you would see that I even said that "in many cases it isn't even intentional."  I thnk that your assumption that encouraging women to mentor and support each other is somehow an excuse is telling about your personal opinion of women, which seems to be negative.  You appear to think that women using the same advantages and skills a man would use is somehow threatening to men.  As a matter of fact it appears you are the one with a low opinion of men, assuming that they wouldn't succeed, all other things being equal.  That's kind of underestimating men, IMO.  They will be OK in a level playing field, at least the men I know would be.

Quoting KamWorthy:

There are many attributes that women are known for using to their advantage as well. Men are not the enemy, and when we can get that through our hair do's, we will find that we are all really on the same side, with the exception a few idiots from both genders. The good ol boys club is not as large as it used to be, we need to stop using them as an excuse for any and all that we may experience due to our own personal choices, character, inadeqacies etc...
Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I just dont think the OP likes women. 

Quoting stacymomof2:

No one said men were the enemy, why do you bring that up?  Do you see it as a zero sum game?  I think if you read my post you would see that I even said that "in many cases it isn't even intentional."  I thnk that your assumption that encouraging women to mentor and support each other is somehow an excuse is telling about your personal opinion of women, which seems to be negative.  You appear to think that women using the same advantages and skills a man would use is somehow threatening to men.  As a matter of fact it appears you are the one with a low opinion of men, assuming that they wouldn't succeed, all other things being equal.  That's kind of underestimating men, IMO.  They will be OK in a level playing field, at least the men I know would be.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Yay PJ is here!  It's been awhile since we were both on at the same time.  :)

And yes, it seems that way.  As though she is assuming a woman mentoring another woman is negative.  OP do you also see it as negative when men do it?

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM

LOL. Good to know someone misses me. :p

Quoting stacymomof2:

Yay PJ is here!  It's been awhile since we were both on at the same time.  :)

And yes, it seems that way.  As though she is assuming a woman mentoring another woman is negative.  OP do you also see it as negative when men do it?

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM
We are discussing a comment made by M. Albright, correct? We are deciphering what she meant when she made said comment as a part of the speech she gave to a group of women athletes, correct? We are also discussing in what context Taylor Swift may have quoted Ms Albright, yes? It's very simple Stacy.....I don't believe there is a special place in hell for women who won't help women. I dont think hell cares. I do however feel, hypothetically of course, that if hell was biased when it came to sin, that there would be a special corner for people who thought themselves higher than everyone else, those who harmed or killed children, animals the elderly....etc....but to say that women will go to hell for not helping women, is nothing more that a statement of self-superiority and entitlement. So, no Stacy, though the easiest, most obvious comment, which you chose, was to say I must not like women, is incorrect. I don't favor women over men, nor do I favor children over women, or children over men, or women over children, or men over children, or men over women. Now that I've made it very elementary for you, what do you think I think? I'll tell you...I believe in equality. When it comes to support, help, assistance, mentoring, encouragement, etc....there is no gender, only a human being as far as I'm concerned.
Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's a sexist statement.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN