Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

White House goes silent on Dow record high — not always so quiet on stock market

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM
  • 15 Replies

White House goes silent on Dow record high — not always so quiet on stock market

March 5, 2013 | 2:33 pm | Modified: March 5, 2013 at 2:50 pm
162Comments

Brian Hughes

White House Correspondent
The Washington Examiner
Photo -

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney declined to weigh in on the Dow hitting an all-time high on Tuesday, a development clashing with President Obama’s assertion that across-the-board spending cuts would imperil the economy.

“I don’t comment on markets,” Carney insisted on Tuesday.

Just two months ago, however, Carney cited the stock market as proof that Republicans were harming the economy.

“I would remind you of the damage caused to our economy by the approach that House Republicans took on this matter just in the summer of 2011,” Carney said in January when asked about fiscal negotiations between Obama and House Speaker John Boehner. “As a result of their flirtation with default, the stock market plummeted. The Dow fell 7 percent, or almost 900 points, in late July and early August of 2011. The United States was downgraded and the Dow fell another 10 percent, or 1100 points after the S&P downgraded the United States. Consumer confidence plummeted to its lowest point since the financial crisis in 2008.”

Carney was defensive Tuesday when asked if the White House could back up its claims about longer lines at airports in the wake of $85 billion in cuts starting on Friday.

“Then I think you should go with the story that the sequestration is having no effect,” Carney said sarcastically.

source

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Stock market is doing bad.  Obama's fault. Stock market is doing well. GOP made that happen. Sound logic.

An important point to remember is what the stock market represents. It's not the average american. It just means people with a lot of money are doing even better. I don't know many people that questioned the well being of the already wealthy.

It's the people in the bottom of our economy and the "middle" class that are hurting. Or in the case of the middle class shrinking. You know it's bad when you can sit in the top 96%-97% of America income wise and still be considered middle class.

The Stock market doesn't show that the average American is doing great now. When Austerity measures are put in place it is normally the people at the top who do better. It's the people on the bottom (Or in our case the middle as well) that feel the pressure and pain.

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

He only comments on markets when it is to his advantage to blame someone else.

Quote:

Just two months ago, however, Carney cited the stock market as proof that Republicans were harming the economy.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Stock market is doing bad.  Obama's fault. Stock market is doing well. GOP made that happen. Sound logic.

An important point to remember is what the stock market represents. It's not the average american. It just means people with a lot of money are doing even better. I don't know many people that questioned the well being of the already wealthy.

It's the people in the bottom of our economy and the "middle" class that are hurting. Or in the case of the middle class shrinking. You know it's bad when you can sit in the top 96%-97% of America income wise and still be considered middle class.

The Stock market doesn't show that the average American is doing great now. When Austerity measures are put in place it is normally the people at the top who do better. It's the people on the bottom (Or in our case the middle as well) that feel the pressure and pain.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

He made a smart move.

If he said, "This is proof the economy is recovering" Then you would be here posting how he is out of touch because he think our economy has recovered because of the stock market is high.

Staying silent on the matter is probably a smart move for him to make right now. Especially since the results of the austerity measures haven't sank in yet.

Quoting candlegal:

Quote:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM

yes of course, that's it.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

He made a smart move.

If he said, "This is proof the economy is recovering" Then you would be here posting how he is out of touch because he think our economy has recovered because of the stock market is high.

Staying silent on the matter is probably a smart move for him to make right now. Especially since the results of the austerity measures haven't sank in yet.

Quoting candlegal:

Quote:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Everytime I see Jay Carney I have to laugh..Do ppl really buy into what he spews?! Eh, waiting for some real change to hit the WH.

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Don't hold your breath.  

Carney is about as transparent as his boss.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Everytime I see Jay Carney I have to laugh..Do ppl really buy into what he spews?! Eh, waiting for some real change to hit the WH.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Is this the comment you make now when someone makes a point and you don't have a counter point?

Or are you going to tell me you have a great counter argument again but choose to skip it over a snarky comment like last time?

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

He made a smart move.

Quoting candlegal:

Quote:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM

it is what I say now to those there is no point in debating with because Obama and all those that work for him can do no wrong.  Why stretch it out.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Is this the comment you make now when someone makes a point and you don't have a counter point?

Or are you going to tell me you have a great counter argument again but choose to skip it over a snarky comment like last time?

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

He made a smart move.

Quoting candlegal:

Quote:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I am kind of surprised that more people aren't talking about the stock market in general. I've often heard this called the most hated rally ever. No one believes it yet it keeps on going up. 

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I am too

Quoting smalltowngal:

I am kind of surprised that more people aren't talking about the stock market in general. I've often heard this called the most hated rally ever. No one believes it yet it keeps on going up. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured