Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

UGH - "T for Tolerance" (Not)

Posted by   + Show Post

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Replies (21-30):
stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM

OK needless to say I did not make it through that trash but did this girl watch too much of the INXS video and then decide to make it into something horrid.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

It was certainly a lot easier when that was known, expected, and assumed to be the default/normal position.  It IS the default position for human beings.  Something interferes to turn the switch a different direction, so to speak.

Apparently, my switch wasn't interfered with in childhood, nor was I born with organs of both male and female, such as in cases where something goes wrong after conception..  No one molested me.  I was exposed to inappropriate sexual material in the home, but not of this variety.

So there you have it.  It does not happen in a vacuum.  Believe what you will, but  that's the truth.  It's a convenient lie to just say you were "born that way" just like it is a convenient lie to say you were "born" to be an adulterer or an alcoholic.  You weren't.  That isn't your destiny.  You just took steps in that direction to make it happen, if it does. 

Quoting LauraKW:

How did you make your decision to be straight?

Quoting TranquilMind:

Your statement is based on the faulty premise that one must "hide" the behavior instead of simply turn away from it.  Sexual orientation is not innate and you are presuming that it is, because only that argument silences opposing views.  '

It is like arguing that AA is encouraging you to "hide" your drinking rather than stop drinking and do things that are benefical instead.

Quoting smalltowngal:

If you look at the stats, it's most prevalent amongst black, gay  and bisexual men. Ironically, many believe that is because there is more pressure on black males to be straight even if they aren't so they end up engaging in risky behavior by their wives' backs. So this video is encouraging people to hide their sexuality which encourages the spread of HIV. Yay for her. 

Quoting TranquilMind:

It always struck that community disproportionately hard because of the risky behaviors regularly engaged in by that community.  Sure, there was collateral damage because the virus got into the blood supply and spread around by either risky behaviors toward others or via blood transfusion (which led to the ban in the first place) or sometimes dental work or other ways of bodily fluid access.

Quoting mikiemom:

HIV does not just strike the gay community anymore that thought process is well, just bigotted. 

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Why should people take steps against being a homosexual if that is how their brain was switched after conception?
Quoting TranquilMind:

It was certainly a lot easier when that was known, expected, and assumed to be the default/normal position.  It IS the default position for human beings.  Something interferes to turn the switch a different direction, so to speak.

Apparently, my switch wasn't interfered with in childhood, nor was I born with organs of both male and female, such as in cases where something goes wrong after conception..  No one molested me.  I was exposed to inappropriate sexual material in the home, but not of this variety.

So there you have it.  It does not happen in a vacuum.  Believe what you will, but  that's the truth.  It's a convenient lie to just say you were "born that way" just like it is a convenient lie to say you were "born" to be an adulterer or an alcoholic.  You weren't.  That isn't your destiny.  You just took steps in that direction to make it happen, if it does. 

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Your statement is based on the faulty premise that one must "hide" the behavior instead of simply turn away from it.  Sexual orientation is not innate and you are presuming that it is, because only that argument silences opposing views.  '

It is like arguing that AA is encouraging you to "hide" your drinking rather than stop drinking and do things that are benefical instead.

Quoting smalltowngal:

If you look at the stats, it's most prevalent amongst black, gay  and bisexual men. Ironically, many believe that is because there is more pressure on black males to be straight even if they aren't so they end up engaging in risky behavior by their wives' backs. So this video is encouraging people to hide their sexuality which encourages the spread of HIV. Yay for her. 

Quoting TranquilMind:

It always struck that community disproportionately hard because of the risky behaviors regularly engaged in by that community.  Sure, there was collateral damage because the virus got into the blood supply and spread around by either risky behaviors toward others or via blood transfusion (which led to the ban in the first place) or sometimes dental work or other ways of bodily fluid access.

Quoting mikiemom:

HIV does not just strike the gay community anymore that thought process is well, just bigotted. 

NewMom11222011
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I don't understand, other than your religious beliefs, why you can accept that something happens before conception that ends in hermaphroditism but not that something happens-hormonally or otherwise- before conception that ends in loving people of one's own gender.  I believe that something interferes with the switch prior to birth, given the adults that I have known since they were very young children (when they first started displaying homosexual tendencies-and to my knowledge none of them were molested by a same sex person) who are now gay in my uber-conservative home town in Texas (which is not a place where you would CHOOSE to be gay, since that gets you beaten to a pulp).

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting mikiemom:

Mama2Spencerninja

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't believe that "hormonally" one is doomed to be gay any more than I believe that one is doomed to be an alcoholic.  Tendencies may be there, but YOU decide which way you go with them. You don't even have to take that first step. 

We do not say that people are born alcoholic (even though there may be some component, other than simply exposure to the behavior), and we encourage them to stop or never start.    

Very young children do NOT display "homosexual tendencies".  They aren't sexually aware before puberty, unless they have been molested.  Young children might display personality traits or characteristics generally observed on the opposite gender, however.  It depends on what you do with them and how they are encouraged or discouraged.  Some will just be, but that doesn't mean the kid will decide to take steps toward homosexual behavior.  He may or he may not.

Quoting NewMom11222011:

I don't understand, other than your religious beliefs, why you can accept that something happens before conception that ends in hermaphroditism but not that something happens-hormonally or otherwise- before conception that ends in loving people of one's own gender.  I believe that something interferes with the switch prior to birth, given the adults that I have known since they were very young children (when they first started displaying homosexual tendencies-and to my knowledge none of them were molested by a same sex person) who are now gay in my uber-conservative home town in Texas (which is not a place where you would CHOOSE to be gay, since that gets you beaten to a pulp).

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting mikiemom:

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:30 PM
So do innersex people get to choose who they want to be? Do they only get to choose if they're 50/50 looks wise or genetic wise? If they're genetically one sex but physically another, do they have to go with genetics or chromosomes? Even if homosexuals are another form of innersex where they are chemically similar to the opposite sex, they still have to choose to be straight even though that will increase their suicide rates?
Quoting TranquilMind:

I don't believe that "hormonally" one is doomed to be gay any more than I believe that one is doomed to be an alcoholic.  Tendencies may be there, but YOU decide which way you go with them. You don't even have to take that first step. 

We do not say that people are born alcoholic (even though there may be some component, other than simply exposure to the behavior), and we encourage them to stop or never start.    

Very young children do NOT display "homosexual tendencies".  They aren't sexually aware before puberty, unless they have been molested.  Young children might display personality traits or characteristics generally observed on the opposite gender, however.  It depends on what you do with them and how they are encouraged or discouraged.  Some will just be, but that doesn't mean the kid will decide to take steps toward homosexual behavior.  He may or he may not.

Quoting NewMom11222011:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting mikiemom:

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Most men want to marry a woman and have his own children.  Most women want to marry a man and have her own children.   There wouldn't be all this "coming out" stuff if this were not against nature.

Quoting smalltowngal:

Why should people take steps against being a homosexual if that is how their brain was switched after conception?
Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting mikiemom:

NewMom11222011
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I think that there is a vast difference between advocating that someone never touches alcohol and someone never touches a person of the gender they are attracted to.  In our culture, where there is freedom of religion, we don't have the right to push our own personal beliefs on others to keep them from pursuing their own happiness as long as what they do is with another consenting adult. 

If the quoted text I read earlier is true, I find it interesting that the "rapper"-and I use that term loosely-would choose to use a phrase about something to the effect of WHO we choose to fornicate with.  I was under the impression that any sex, heterosexual or homosexual, outside of marriage was deemed inappropriate in the Bible (at least the KJV that I've read through many times).  I don't see nearly the same level of moral outrage in these forums about heterosexual fornication or adultery that I see about homosexual sex.  Could that be because many of the moms so outraged about homosexual sex have fornicating heterosexual offspring?

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting NewMom11222011:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting mikiemom:

Mama2Spencerninja

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Yes, they do have to choose.  It's not up to me what they choose, but they live with the implications of the choice, whatever they choose.

Quoting smalltowngal:

So do innersex people get to choose who they want to be? Do they only get to choose if they're 50/50 looks wise or genetic wise? If they're genetically one sex but physically another, do they have to go with genetics or chromosomes? Even if homosexuals are another form of innersex where they are chemically similar to the opposite sex, they still have to choose to be straight even though that will increase their suicide rates?
Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting NewMom11222011:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting mikiemom:

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Nature doesn't make us all alike though. So am I going against nature because I was born with blue eyes since the majority don't have blue eyes? Most girls don't like science so is my daughter going against nature because she has a space mural in her wall? Life isn't majority rules so everyone has to partake in that behavior especially if that behavior isn't considered criminal. I'm sure many doctors would disagree with you considering homosexuality unnatural too.
Quoting TranquilMind:

Most men want to marry a woman and have his own children.  Most women want to marry a man and have her own children.   There wouldn't be all this "coming out" stuff if this were not against nature.

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN