Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I know with all the weather systems and such that it might be a far thought from some minds about planting a garden and the like.

Do you plan on planting a garden this year or making other changes to be more self sufficient?

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Replies (21-30):
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Thank you!!

Quoting Matriarch87:

I have heard its difficult from others but our garlic seems to really like our set up. Here is a website with tons of great info on growing garlic.

http://www.garlicfarm.ca/growing-garlic.htm

I'd say weeding is most important and so is gentle watering.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

I want to plant garlic! I use a LOT of garlic. Is it an easy grow? well, when you don't have the mower out...lol

Quoting Matriarch87:

Yes we plant a huge garden every spring.  

Filled with tomatoes, garlic, all kinds of peppers, sweet corn, cucumbers, spinache, carrots and onions.  We were trying to get broccoli to sprout by the shed but I accidentally mowed it down, oopsies.  

I grow herbs year round in my kitchen...we also have grape vines, a pear tree, a cherry tree and a walnut tree.  Those things take care of themselves though and we just harvest the bounty : ) 

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
Matriarch87
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

as far as other things for self sufficiency, we hunt and fish year round. 

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:31 PM

That's great! And a lot of work!

Quoting talia-mom:

I grow enough to supply my parents during the spring and summer as well as us.  Then I spend a great deal of time canning it or I use a lot it for my catering jobs during the spring.   The tomatoes are really useful for wedding dinners.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Wow, your garden has it going on! Impressive!

Quoting talia-mom:

Tomatoes, lettuce, Swissh chard, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, butternut squash, canteloupe, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, asparagus is already coming up, potatoes, green beans, corn, and various herbs.

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I planted some indoor too :)

Quoting Sisteract:

Yes- I have started already (indoors) tomatoes and herbs-

punky3175
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:32 PM
I ordered a couple of gardening books for DD to look through. I'll probably look through them as well. I'd love to have a container garden on my apartments balcony.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Matriarch87
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:32 PM

lol, thats a good idea.  In our case though my husband was trying to surprise me (i know, weird surprise) I was whining because he shoo shoo my desire for broccoli...then I guess had a change of heart and instead of telling me he went and planted it behind our shed, it was just sprouting real nice when I mowed it down and he went back there and was like, "WTF!?  WHHHHYYYY!!!!???", I was all, "What?  the grass was like a foot tall back there.", "Your broccoli was hiding in that grass!  It was a secret!"..."Ohh..."....Silly man.  

Quoting stormcris:

I have to put up barricades when I plant away from the standard garden plot or else it gets mowed as well.

Quoting Matriarch87:

Filled with tomatoes, garlic, all kinds of peppers, sweet corn, cucumbers, spinache, carrots and onions.  We were trying to get broccoli to sprout by the shed but I accidentally mowed it down, oopsies.  

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:33 PM

It is a lot of work, but then again, my kids will go outside, pick a tomato and eat it.   I can't ask for anything better than that.

I spend between 3-5 hours a day between weeding, picking, moving the drip lines, once it really gets started and then I have friends come help me with the canning in exchange for some goodies.   But they bring some of their stuff too, so we all get different things.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

That's great! And a lot of work!

Quoting talia-mom:

I grow enough to supply my parents during the spring and summer as well as us.  Then I spend a great deal of time canning it or I use a lot it for my catering jobs during the spring.   The tomatoes are really useful for wedding dinners.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Wow, your garden has it going on! Impressive!

Quoting talia-mom:

Tomatoes, lettuce, Swissh chard, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, butternut squash, canteloupe, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, asparagus is already coming up, potatoes, green beans, corn, and various herbs.

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Those are great too.

Quoting punky3175:

I ordered a couple of gardening books for DD to look through. I'll probably look through them as well. I'd love to have a container garden on my apartments balcony.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I've got my seedlings started!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL sounds like something that would happen around my house as well.

Quoting Matriarch87:

lol, thats a good idea.  In our case though my husband was trying to surprise me (i know, weird surprise) I was whining because he shoo shoo my desire for broccoli...then I guess had a change of heart and instead of telling me he went and planted it behind our shed, it was just sprouting real nice when I mowed it down and he went back there and was like, "WTF!?  WHHHHYYYY!!!!???", I was all, "What?  the grass was like a foot tall back there.", "Your broccoli was hiding in that grass!  It was a secret!"..."Ohh..."....Silly man.  

Quoting stormcris:

I have to put up barricades when I plant away from the standard garden plot or else it gets mowed as well.

Quoting Matriarch87:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN