Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I know with all the weather systems and such that it might be a far thought from some minds about planting a garden and the like.

Do you plan on planting a garden this year or making other changes to be more self sufficient?

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Replies (31-40):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Mine are growing in the sun room right now.

I paid my kids a dollar an egg carton to help me and they get paid 50 cents 3 times a week for watering the cartons the made.  

Quoting Momniscient:

I've got my seedlings started!!

IhartU
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

We've planted a veggie garden now for going on 4 years as well as raspberries and blackberries . I also can a portion of what we grow for use over the winter. It's been a trial and error, learn as you go experience for us but it's getting easier and I'm actually having fun with it now!

HuggaBug1991
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes of course! We plan on planting: yellow tomatoes, potatoes, cucumbersyellow squash, zuccihini, watermelon, canalope, green beans, peas, pumkins, eggplants, jalapeno peppers, banana peppers, red/orange/yellow/green bell peppers, and a whole bunch more! lol!!!!!   YUMMY, can't wait!!!

Just wish the canning and freezing wasn't so hard............................lol!

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this
That's awesome. My kid is two so playing In The dirt is payment right now lol.

This is my first garden in The desert so I'm curious to see what works out. I'm going to put my early girl tomatoes in tomorrow. They ripen before the heat sets in. We can't do beefsteak or anything...

Quoting talia-mom:

Mine are growing in the sun room right now.

I paid my kids a dollar an egg carton to help me and they get paid 50 cents 3 times a week for watering the cartons the made.  

Quoting Momniscient:

I've got my seedlings started!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:38 PM

That sounds nice..really nice. I don't have it in me to can..I wish I did!

Quoting talia-mom:

It is a lot of work, but then again, my kids will go outside, pick a tomato and eat it.   I can't ask for anything better than that.

I spend between 3-5 hours a day between weeding, picking, moving the drip lines, once it really gets started and then I have friends come help me with the canning in exchange for some goodies.   But they bring some of their stuff too, so we all get different things.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

That's great! And a lot of work!

Quoting talia-mom:

I grow enough to supply my parents during the spring and summer as well as us.  Then I spend a great deal of time canning it or I use a lot it for my catering jobs during the spring.   The tomatoes are really useful for wedding dinners.

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I plant a garden every year. Though the freaking weather has been less than conducive to my fruit trees in the past few years. As the weather has progressively gotten warmer, we have months when it should be cold that are warm enough that the fruit trees break bud. Then it never fails to freeze. Dammit I want fruit!

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I am hoping that my tree will produce in spite of it.

Quoting frogbender:

I plant a garden every year. Though the freaking weather has been less than conducive to my fruit trees in the past few years. As the weather has progressively gotten warmer, we have months when it should be cold that are warm enough that the fruit trees break bud. Then it never fails to freeze. Dammit I want fruit!

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I'm doing some serious thinking about it.  We'd have to make or acquire a raised bed, though.

I'll probably do a "salsa" garden this year and see how it goes before getting too ambitious.

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Just an fyi there are some free kindle books on amazon about making raised beds that might be useful.

Quoting FrogSalad:

I'm doing some serious thinking about it.  We'd have to make or acquire a raised bed, though.

I'll probably do a "salsa" garden this year and see how it goes before getting too ambitious.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Plan to get Dh out tomorrow to purchase what we need to make garden boxes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN