Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know with all the weather systems and such that it might be a far thought from some minds about planting a garden and the like.

Do you plan on planting a garden this year or making other changes to be more self sufficient?

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Replies (51-60):
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I have had a garden in my yard for several years now. Loooooove doing it.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:19 PM
2 moms liked this

I had a problem with deer in the garden when I lived in the mountains. On a whim, I pulled out the Halloween box from storage and set up all the motion sensor ornaments around the garden...you know the ones that light up and make spooky noises/howls/shrieks when you get close? It only took one night, and they never came back.

LOL

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

We have too many deer to plant much of anything. We do have tomatoes in pots but they are not as good.

DH did build a nice stone garden and I plan to plant some ferns and then a few annuals in between- gesh- I hope deer don';t like ferns. 

Neon Washable Paint

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks.  I'll check it out.

Quoting stormcris:

Just an fyi there are some free kindle books on amazon about making raised beds that might be useful.

Quoting FrogSalad:

I'm doing some serious thinking about it.  We'd have to make or acquire a raised bed, though.

I'll probably do a "salsa" garden this year and see how it goes before getting too ambitious.

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this

We watched it at our staff meeting today, so I'm all fired up about it :) The first half is incredibly depressing and frustrating, but the good news of the second half is worth it. 

Quoting stormcris:

I haven't seen that but will try to check it out.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Yes :)

Also, everyone should watch the documentary "dirt" , it's a good one!

KarenNEIA
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

you bet, we have a couple gardens full of sweet corn, pumpkins, tomatoes, potatoes, and every year we might throw in beets or peppers, this year my hubby wants to try kidney beans (?)  That should be interesting...LOL  We also have strawberries and apples, cherries, etc... Love it!! The more I can grow and freeze/can, the less i have to buy!  Also, just for fun and 4H projects we bought 4 little chicks yesterday...soon I'll have the eggs taken care of too!!

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

We just moved, and are getting ready to plant our herb garden...and hopefully my strawberries that I planted last year do well this year...

We are slowly getting more self sufficient...I make my own cleaning products and am learning how to sew...

WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I plan on planting my garden Memorial Day weekend (if the weather cooperates).  I am going to start planting seeds inside in April so the plants will be ready for planting. I plan on growing tomatos, peppers, zucchini, cucumbers, squash, and herbs.

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I do as much gardening as container gardening allows me. I don't have anywhere to garden in the ground. We already hunt to be self sufficient. Our dream is to live in the middle of nowhere and basically me completely off the grid so to speak. I can't wait to have a huge garden/farm.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

We do have a large garden, but with my fibro, I can't work it.  Hubby tills and readies the soil and plants, and my oldest daughter tends it and brings in the harvest.  Fortunately it's something she enjoys doing; otherwise I'm afraid the garden would go neglected.

I like to can what they bring in to me---we got enough tomatoes last year so I didn't need to buy canned for several months.  And we still have berries in the freezer that were harvested in September.

Hoping for zucchinis, bell peppers, onions and spinach this year.  That's what we eat most every day. 

illinoismommy83
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

We always try to do a garden. I have seed starter beds going in the windows right now. I usually start 3x what we could possibly plant and keep the healthiest looking ones for our gardens and offer the rest to others. I suck at starting seeds. 

I dunno, the hobos come pick half of the stuff so I don't know why we bother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured