Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I know with all the weather systems and such that it might be a far thought from some minds about planting a garden and the like.

Do you plan on planting a garden this year or making other changes to be more self sufficient?

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Replies (61-70):
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

My herbs and peppers never died over the winter. I had also put in onions, chard, spinach, peas and garlic that are all doing well. I started the tomatoes and beans last month...tomatoes grow slow but the beans are already climbing the supports.

Put a few bases of celery and nappa cabbage from stuff I bought at the grocery and they are growing very well in the garden now...so are the green onions I bought at the grocery. I just cut tops when I need them.

While it is nice there is a longer growing season here, I miss my giant mountain garden. It was bigger and richer. This sand $hit $ucks....Plus I have been told to grow in raised beds and containers because of lead contamination here...don't know if it is true, but doing it just to be safe. Tomatoes especially leach lead out of the soil.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I miss my garden in TX. I hate AK. Can't wait to go home to OH this summer!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
opinionatedmom
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:28 AM

yep doing a garden and going to sell at the farmers markets for an income. yeah

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:35 AM
I just started last week :-)

Every year I grow tomatoes, bell peppers, cabbage, lettuce, cucumbers, zucchini, strawberries, blackberries, & cantaloupe.

I also have a small herb garden
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I would create a small hydroponic greenhouse....I am that addicted. LOL

Quoting wickedfiress:

I miss my garden in TX. I hate AK. Can't wait to go home to OH this summer!!

Neon Washable Paint

TerriAnne2606
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Already started it.  I have tomatoes and potatoes started.  I will plant: cucumbers, corn, radishes, peppers, beans, peas, cantaloupe...  I also have an herb garden going.  Oh - and I just picked my last head of cauliflower last week. They hate the heat and only started thriviing once the cooler weather hit later last year.  

krysstizzle
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Since this is a gardening thread, I'm going to share my super exciting news ;)

So, there's this corn, called Glass Gem. It made the internet rounds last year. Here's a picture and the story behind it:

When people think of corn, they usually don’t think of a thing of incredible beauty. That will certainly change the first time you see glass gem corn which really does look like a cob full of precious gems rather than something that grows on a cob.

Glass gem corn was a long-lost variety that may never have been discovered except for some fortuitous happenings. A seedsman named Greg Schoen was able to obtain some of the glass gem corn seeds from his part Cherokee “corn teacher” Carl Barnes. Carl is in his mid 80′s from Oklahoma and may have been the only person who still had seeds from this corn variety. It wasn’t Greg, however, that introduced this variety of corn to the world.

Instead, in 2010 Greg decided to move. While moving, he made the determination that he needed to find someone to store and protect his seed collection so that it didn’t get lost or ruined in the moving process. Greg decided to store several different samples of corn seed with Seeds Trust, a 25-year-old family owned seed company, including the glass gem corn seeds.

glass gem corn photo

In 2011, Bill McDormann, president of Seeds Trust decided to grow the corn varieties that Greg had left with them. When he saw the result of the glass gem seed corn, he was absolutely amazed and posted photos of the corn on the Internet. Bill hadn’t known how beautiful the corn would be and thus did not grow out enough of the glass gem corn to sell.

Photos of the beautiful ears eventually spread across the Internet and in May 2012 went viral with a post on the social networking site Reddit which was then picked-up by dozens of other social media outlets. There was instant clamoring of where seeds for glass gem corn could be purchased.

Currently, there is no place to purchase glass gem corn seeds as the few people who do have the seeds haven’t grown enough to obtain a stock of seeds to sell. This will surely change in the near future as those who do have the seeds will be growing more. Hopefully glass gem corn seeds will be plentiful enough for anyone who wants them to purchase them within the next few years.

We will definitely keep you up to date as to when and where these seeds are available for purchase. Until you are able to grow this corn on your own, here are some more beautiful glass gem corn photos for you to feast your eyes on!

glass gem corn

glass gem maize

Gem maize

I've been on the waiting list for this from Native Seeds (a seed conservation organization in Tucson) for almost  a year. Finally, finally! I got an e-mail the other day saying they had seed ready to order, so I (of course) immediately ordered it, fast as I could. It was limited to one pack per person, and members of Native Seeds had first go (I'm a member, woot!!).

Now I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my beautiful corn! I can't wait to grow it this summer! I'm going to have to be super careful, I want to grow this crop for seed, so depending where I plant, I might have to hand pollinate. The work will be worth it, though :) 

Again. I am so. Excited. Seriously. :)

(source for story and pics here)

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Wow...That is some beautiful stuff! Is it decorative or edible? Please keep us informed as to your progress with this variety as the summer progresses...I can't wait to hear about it?

Quoting krysstizzle:

Since this is a gardening thread, I'm going to share my super exciting news ;)

So, there's this corn, called Glass Gem. It made the internet rounds last year. Here's a picture and the story behind it:

When people think of corn, they usually don’t think of a thing of incredible beauty. That will certainly change the first time you see glass gem corn which really does look like a cob full of precious gems rather than something that grows on a cob.

Glass gem corn was a long-lost variety that may never have been discovered except for some fortuitous happenings. A seedsman named Greg Schoen was able to obtain some of the glass gem corn seeds from his part Cherokee “corn teacher” Carl Barnes. Carl is in his mid 80′s from Oklahoma and may have been the only person who still had seeds from this corn variety. It wasn’t Greg, however, that introduced this variety of corn to the world.

Instead, in 2010 Greg decided to move. While moving, he made the determination that he needed to find someone to store and protect his seed collection so that it didn’t get lost or ruined in the moving process. Greg decided to store several different samples of corn seed with Seeds Trust, a 25-year-old family owned seed company, including the glass gem corn seeds.

glass gem corn photo

In 2011, Bill McDormann, president of Seeds Trust decided to grow the corn varieties that Greg had left with them. When he saw the result of the glass gem seed corn, he was absolutely amazed and posted photos of the corn on the Internet. Bill hadn’t known how beautiful the corn would be and thus did not grow out enough of the glass gem corn to sell.

Photos of the beautiful ears eventually spread across the Internet and in May 2012 went viral with a post on the social networking site Reddit which was then picked-up by dozens of other social media outlets. There was instant clamoring of where seeds for glass gem corn could be purchased.

Currently, there is no place to purchase glass gem corn seeds as the few people who do have the seeds haven’t grown enough to obtain a stock of seeds to sell. This will surely change in the near future as those who do have the seeds will be growing more. Hopefully glass gem corn seeds will be plentiful enough for anyone who wants them to purchase them within the next few years.

We will definitely keep you up to date as to when and where these seeds are available for purchase. Until you are able to grow this corn on your own, here are some more beautiful glass gem corn photos for you to feast your eyes on!

glass gem corn

glass gem maize

Gem maize

I've been on the waiting list for this from Native Seeds (a seed conservation organization in Tucson) for almost  a year. Finally, finally! I got an e-mail the other day saying they had seed ready to order, so I (of course) immediately ordered it, fast as I could. It was limited to one pack per person, and members of Native Seeds had first go (I'm a member, woot!!).

Now I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my beautiful corn! I can't wait to grow it this summer! I'm going to have to be super careful, I want to grow this crop for seed, so depending where I plant, I might have to hand pollinate. The work will be worth it, though :) 

Again. I am so. Excited. Seriously. :)

(source for story and pics here)

Neon Washable Paint

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM

We live in an apartment, so no.

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Nice

Quoting opinionatedmom:

yep doing a garden and going to sell at the farmers markets for an income. yeah

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)