Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I know with all the weather systems and such that it might be a far thought from some minds about planting a garden and the like.

Do you plan on planting a garden this year or making other changes to be more self sufficient?

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Replies (71-80):
krysstizzle
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Yup, it's edible. It's a flint type, used for corn meal, rather than sweet corn. But it's so pretty, I think a lot of people would use it decoratively. I think I'm going to save all of the first crop (or sell at the farmers' market), and maybe try out the taste in year two? We'll see how productive it is this year. :)

Quoting NWP:

Wow...That is some beautiful stuff! Is it decorative or edible? Please keep us informed as to your progress with this variety as the summer progresses...I can't wait to hear about it?

snip
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I bet you a buck you won't be able to stop yourself from nibbling on at least one little ear during the first year.

LOL

Quoting krysstizzle:

Yup, it's edible. It's a flint type, used for corn meal, rather than sweet corn. But it's so pretty, I think a lot of people would use it decoratively. I think I'm going to save all of the first crop (or sell at the farmers' market), and maybe try out the taste in year two? We'll see how productive it is this year. :)

Quoting NWP:

Wow...That is some beautiful stuff! Is it decorative or edible? Please keep us informed as to your progress with this variety as the summer progresses...I can't wait to hear about it?

snip

Neon Washable Paint

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Awe

Quoting Euphoric:

We live in an apartment, so no.

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM

They are selling on Amazon for $2 a seed. Wow.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting NWP:

snip

krysstizzle
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Ha, I saw that. I also saw Sear selling them for $49.95 a packet. :/

I wonder who's doing that? Pretty sheisty, imo, but there ya go. 

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting NWP:

snip

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Rarity driven pricing. It seems many things are insane that way.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting NWP:

snip

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I had containers on my balcony when we lived in an apt. :)

Quoting Euphoric:

We live in an apartment, so no.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Sure. It also kind of shows either the lack of foresight or severe impatience of people. I mean, wait one growing season and the amount of seeds increases many-fold. 

Silly :)

Quoting stormcris:

Rarity driven pricing. It seems many things are insane that way.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting NWP:

snip

AlekD
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Yup! Ive got seeds starting on my counter as we speak!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coronado25
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I had a great little garden on a postage stamp size plot (8X16x12 foot triangle)that  I dug out in the back yard when I lived in SF. We didn't get alot of sun and the fog, of course, is insane.  The broccoli and carrots did well, but only enough yield for a meal or two. I got a couple of squashes, too, but my front porch though was always kickin' with enough sweet pea pods to add to meals. 

I live on my sailboat now, so no garden. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN