Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I know with all the weather systems and such that it might be a far thought from some minds about planting a garden and the like.

Do you plan on planting a garden this year or making other changes to be more self sufficient?

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Replies (81-89):
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM

If anyone's looking for non genetically altered seeds for your gardens and flowers you should check into rareseeds.com you can order from their site or ask for a catalog and they'll send the seed catalog to you for free. They personally test all of their heirloom seeds and sell them for decent prices.

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Awe. But you have all the seafood you want :)

Quoting coronado25:

I had a great little garden on a postage stamp size plot (8X16x12 foot triangle)that  I dug out in the back yard when I lived in SF. We didn't get alot of sun and the fog, of course, is insane.  The broccoli and carrots did well, but only enough yield for a meal or two. I got a couple of squashes, too, but my front porch though was always kickin' with enough sweet pea pods to add to meals. 

I live on my sailboat now, so no garden. 

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Thanks. I need a good dealer for those.

Quoting Arroree:

If anyone's looking for non genetically altered seeds for your gardens and flowers you should check into rareseeds.com you can order from their site or ask for a catalog and they'll send the seed catalog to you for free. They personally test all of their heirloom seeds and sell them for decent prices.

kam013
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

We used to plant a huge garden every year at our old house.  Then the kids grew and we were so busy running them around in eight different directions that we stopped for lack of time.

Last year we planted our first garden at this house.  It was good sized, but not huge because we didn't know how it would go with the soil and sunlight here.  This year we plan on expanding on it quite a bit, at least double the size.  Usual items are tomatoes, cukes, peas, string beans, squash, eggplant, carrots, peppers, watermelon and scallions.  

I also have a small raised bed next to my patio that I keep herbs and lettuce in (like to keep the lettuce away from the bunnies).  I usually put scallions in there as well, it wards off the critters.  

This year we want to try potatoes, more lettuce and if we can find the right spot some corn.  

coronado25
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

True, I can barely keep up with the crab!

Quoting stormcris:

Awe. But you have all the seafood you want :)

Quoting coronado25:

I had a great little garden on a postage stamp size plot (8X16x12 foot triangle)that  I dug out in the back yard when I lived in SF. We didn't get alot of sun and the fog, of course, is insane.  The broccoli and carrots did well, but only enough yield for a meal or two. I got a couple of squashes, too, but my front porch though was always kickin' with enough sweet pea pods to add to meals. 

I live on my sailboat now, so no garden. 

The cure for anything is saltwater.

redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

no no gardens this year, when we move i plan on buying a few fruit trees and planting a "fairy" garden

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Oh yes I've got a garden planned. Also got chickens, guinieas, ducks and peacocks. Getting turkeys after work today. Getting our first apiary in April (bees). Have pastured our own calves and pigs in the past.

For the chickens I'm farming mealworms and growing forage. I'm also collecting spoiled produce to feed them. :)

Murdering our rooster as soon as I have enough eggs to incubate. Mean bastard.

LuvmyAiden
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

We are planting a garden as usual. Also getting chickend this year and contemplating a cow or two since we have the land and farm writeoffs are nice.

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Wow you are busy. 

Quoting furbabymum:

Oh yes I've got a garden planned. Also got chickens, guinieas, ducks and peacocks. Getting turkeys after work today. Getting our first apiary in April (bees). Have pastured our own calves and pigs in the past.

For the chickens I'm farming mealworms and growing forage. I'm also collecting spoiled produce to feed them. :)

Murdering our rooster as soon as I have enough eggs to incubate. Mean bastard.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)