Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Bloomberg targets NYC teens who blast music through their ear buds

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:49 PM
  • 7 Replies

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/06/17212455-2-loud-crew-bloomberg-targets-nyc-teens-who-blast-music-through-their-ear-buds?lite

2 Loud Crew? Bloomberg targets NYC teens who blast music through their ear buds

Jonathan Ernst / Reuters file

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, pictured in January at the U.S. Conference of Mayors winter meeting in Washington, has taken on numerous dietary habits he considers unhealthy.

By M. Alex Johnson, staff writer, NBC News

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg - who banned 16-ounce sodas, trans fats in restaurants and public smoking - has a new bug in his ear: young people who play their music too loud through their headphones.

The city's spending a quarter-million dollars to launch a Hearing Loss Prevention Media Campaign warning young people through social media and focus groups about the risk of losing their hearing, The New York Post reported Wednesday.

"With public and private support, a public education campaign is being developed to raise awareness about safe use of personal music players ... and risks of loud and long listening," Nancy Clark, the city Health Department's assistant commissioner of environmental disease prevention, told The Post.

Researchers at Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston reported in 2010 that nearly 1 in 5 Americans ages 12 to 19 have lost some of their hearing.

The researchers didn't single out portable music devices, but cited a 2010 Australian study that linked them with a 70 percent increased risk of hearing loss in children.

Bloomberg has won a reputation for trying to ban things he considers unhealthy. Just last month, he proposed banning Styrofoam because it clogs landfills and might be harmful.

Other things and activities Bloomberg has banned since he was elected in 2001 include:

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
NewMom11222011
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM

If ear buds are one of the most troubling things in NYC currently, then things are going pretty well there.  SMH

Mama2Spencerninja

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I didn't read where he is trying to ban this, only trying to raise awareness.

Seems like an awful lot of money being spent on something that should be common sense.

gizmo538
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Maybe they figured he's attempting to ban it since he's banned so many other things. *shrugs* Just a guess though ...

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I didn't read where he is trying to ban this, only trying to raise awareness.

Seems like an awful lot of money being spent on something that should be common sense.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM
2 moms liked this

If  it's too loud, you're too old.........

Get out of my house, my car, my refrigerator and now my ears!!!!!!

GleekingOut
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 4:16 AM
Or too close Xd

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

If  it's too loud, you're too old.........

Get out of my house, my car, my refrigerator and now my ears!!!!!!

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jun. 23, 2013 at 5:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Is he trying to make NY like Australia.  Nearly all those are applicable here.

A couple of years back thanks to public complaints.  We now have trains with carriages that are technology free...aka no cell phone conversation, or loud headphones.  They arent illegal...but if you were to talk on your cell or have your headphones so loud that the person next to you is affected by your noise...have no fear, you WILL be asked to leave the carriage LOL.

Buses also have a limit to sound from headphones.

I like it :-)

PestPatti
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:21 AM

I have a co worker who has headphones in, but everyone else can hear her music.  It's annoying, I have told her its not 1980 something carrying around your boom box.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN