Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

NYC’s ‘Cost of Teen Pregnancy’ PSAs **edited**

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not a fan of teen pregnancy.  However, I absolutely agree that such a 'campaign' is only meant to degrade.  Money thrown out as many feel teen parents should be.

Quote:

Planned Parenthood trashes NYC’s ‘Cost of Teen Pregnancy’ PSAs

By  | The Lookout – 5 hrs ago

Planned Parenthood denounced a new ad campaign aimed at sexually active teens, unveiled by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg this week, for shaming current and expectant teen parents and their children.

“The latest NYC ad campaign creates stigma, hostility and negative public opinions about teen pregnancy and parenthood rather than offering alternative aspirations for young people,” Haydee Morales, vice president of education and training at Planned Parenthood's New York office, said in a statement released on Wednesday. “The city’s money would be better spent helping teens access health care, birth control and high-quality sexual and reproductive health education, not an ad campaign intended to create shock value.”

The "Cost of Teen Pregnancy" campaign—displayed in subways and bus shelters citywide—includes images of concerned toddlers with messages for their teen parents.

"Honestly Mom," one poster reads, "chances are he won't stay with you. What happens to me?"

"Dad, you'll be paying to support me for the next 20 years," reads another, noting that New York state law requires a parent to pay child support until a child is 21.

The public service announcements also instruct teens to text "'NOTNOW' to 877877 for the real cost of teen pregnancy."

[Related: NYC rolls out 'Cost of Teen Pregnancy' PSAs]

"This campaign makes very clear to young people that there’s a lot at stake when it comes to deciding to raise a child,” Bloomberg said in his weekly radio address on Sunday.

The effort, he said, will "let thousands of young New Yorkers know that waiting to become a parent could be the best decision they ever make.”

According to the health department, the city's teen pregnancy rate has fallen 27 percent in the past decade. But Morales said stigmatizing teens who have already become parents "has not been a part of what has led to this success."

In 2011, the city quietly rolled out a controversial pilot program that allowed teens access to the contraceptive drug Plan B—the so-called "morning after pill"—in some of its public schools without parental consent. (Parents could choose to exclude their children from access.) In 2012, officials expanded the program to 13 schools with hopes of implementing it citywide.

That program—dubbed CATCH, or "Connecting Adolescents To Comprehensive Health"—is supported by Planned Parenthood.

I am not a fan of teen pregnancy.  This campaign, however, is meant to degrade. There is nothing positive there.  Sadly, many will agree with this and feel this will do good.  What that 'good' is.......I'm not sure.  It certainly is not going to help deter any one from having sex, protected or otherwise.

Shame on NYC and their Mayor.

***If some of you can get past the Planned Parenthood aspect and get your heads out of the sand, maybe you could see that the money used here could have been better spent.

Ya know, even old dogs can learn new tricks.

I think, when I first read this, I was uncomfortable with the delivery of this message and instead of taking some time, I jumped right on the defensive.  And believe me, I am any thing other than for kids having kids.  I've always been very much against teen sex, much less pregnancy.

So, after reading the replies, well........most of them.......I have realized that the message is correct.  It is indeed the delivery I dislike.  I also feel the money spent here could have been used in a more positive way and perhaps with not such a bullying type approach.  The more we shame and make a point of disgracing, the more people are not going to listen to the message.

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Replies (31-40):
delilahsmom1177
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:28 PM

So you would be proud if your 14 year old was pregnant?

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

We obviously have different parenting thoughts. Unless my child was a criminal, I would never feel ashamed of her.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Getting pregnant is NOT a mistake... It is a life long thing.... My child does make mistakes. Hell she got in trouble at school today.... I love her. I would love her if she had a babay as a teen but would I be proud no...would I be ashamed YES!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

You could not love someone unconditionally and treat them so heartlessly. People make mistakes. You are. It perfect. I would never be ashamed of my dd's for ever making a mistake. I would never not support them.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

When did I say I wouldn't love her? It's disgusting to feel shame when your baby gets pregnant, not out of high school no job no prospects? I also have a rule if she wants to drop out of high school she must find a new place to live(unless we opt for homeschooling that is fine) 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

That is disgusting. I guess you never heard of

unconditional love.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

If my DD becomes pregnant I will feel like I failed as a parent and be shamed myself. I would ONLY help my DD for my grandchild. And that would be watching the child so she could work and NOTHING else, I would not be proud and show off my pregnant DD like my mom did me. I will show off the baby but that's because the baby is innocent. I would not want to go out in public with my DD while she is pregnant. I would not give her a baby shower, nor would I buy her maturnity clothes. She would be 100% on her own..... 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

They should feel alone. they should feel shamed. They are doing their children a disservice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting CLEKate:

I personally think that teenagers need to hear this side of teen pregnancy.  They need to have the cold hard facts shoved down their throats.  So maybe they'll think twice before having unprotected sex or getting pregnant on purpose.

Okay, I see your point. However, the 'cold hard facts' should be presented in a manner that does not point fingers and does not place the teen parents in to a box where they already feel alone.

This will only make most feel worse than they may already feel.  Helpless and lost and alone.  This is telling them they have failed as a human being and will, without doubt, fail their child.

Education and prevention is key.  This campaign only points fingers with the intent to shame.  That is not positive at all.

You cannot bully some one in to doing what you want them to do.

And this right here is the problem many teens face.  Pregnant or not.

You lump every one in to one box and that is never wise.

If your child turns out to be a teen parent, do you plan on turning your back on him/her to ensure they feel alone?  Do you plan on shaming them publicly and otherwise?

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Actually if we use shame and disgrace not embrace(16 and pregnant,teen mom,so many shows having teen moms)it will not be so prevalent.

You can use shame and disgrace all you want on your children.  When it comes back on you, and it will, do not be surprised.

delilahsmom1177
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:30 PM

What is going to come back to me?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Actually if we use shame and disgrace not embrace(16 and pregnant,teen mom,so many shows having teen moms)it will not be so prevalent.

You can use shame and disgrace all you want on your children.  When it comes back on you, and it will, do not be surprised.

I'm a tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

What is going to come back to me?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

When you shame your child and set out to disgrace them.  

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:32 PM
I never said I would be proud but I would never feel ashamed or make her feel ashamed of herself. I would be very disappointed and sad

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

We obviously have different parenting thoughts. Unless my child was a criminal, I would never feel ashamed of her.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Getting pregnant is NOT a mistake... It is a life long thing.... My child does make mistakes. Hell she got in trouble at school today.... I love her. I would love her if she had a babay as a teen but would I be proud no...would I be ashamed YES!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

You could not love someone unconditionally and treat them so heartlessly. People make mistakes. You are. It perfect. I would never be ashamed of my dd's for ever making a mistake. I would never not support them.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

When did I say I wouldn't love her? It's disgusting to feel shame when your baby gets pregnant, not out of high school no job no prospects? I also have a rule if she wants to drop out of high school she must find a new place to live(unless we opt for homeschooling that is fine) 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

unconditional love.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

If my DD becomes pregnant I will feel like I failed as a parent and be shamed myself. I would ONLY help my DD for my grandchild. And that would be watching the child so she could work and NOTHING else, I would not be proud and show off my pregnant DD like my mom did me. I will show off the baby but that's because the baby is innocent. I would not want to go out in public with my DD while she is pregnant. I would not give her a baby shower, nor would I buy her maturnity clothes. She would be 100% on her own..... 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

They should feel alone. they should feel shamed. They are doing their children a disservice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting CLEKate:

I personally think that teenagers need to hear this side of teen pregnancy.  They need to have the cold hard facts shoved down their throats.  So maybe they'll think twice before having unprotected sex or getting pregnant on purpose.

Okay, I see your point. However, the 'cold hard facts' should be presented in a manner that does not point fingers and does not place the teen parents in to a box where they already feel alone.

This will only make most feel worse than they may already feel.  Helpless and lost and alone.  This is telling them they have failed as a human being and will, without doubt, fail their child.

Education and prevention is key.  This campaign only points fingers with the intent to shame.  That is not positive at all.

If your child turns out to be a teen parent, do you plan on turning your back on him/her to ensure they feel alone?  Do you plan on shaming them publicly and otherwise?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
delilahsmom1177
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:35 PM

You would not make her feel bad for getting pregnant at such a young age clearly doing a disservice to your grandchild? 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I never said I would be proud but I would never feel ashamed or make her feel ashamed of herself. I would be very disappointed and sad

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

unconditional love.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting CLEKate:

somuchlove4U
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:35 PM
For me I wouldn't be proud of her choice to have sex. I would be proud of her for taking responsibility for her actions. I wouldn't be ashamed either. I would support my daughter throughout. I do teach her not to have sex before marriage, but if she makes a mistake I will be there to support her.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

unconditional love.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting CLEKate:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

You would not make her feel bad for getting pregnant at such a young age clearly doing a disservice to your grandchild? 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

unconditional love.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting CLEKate:

You have some pretty twisted views.

My Grandson is an absolute blessing and when my daughter, at the age of 19, became pregnant, shame and disgrace was not even on my radar.  

How sad for your daughter.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:37 PM
No! I would make her feel bad about herself. What a screwed up parenting concept!

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

unconditional love.

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting CLEKate:

Aamy
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I dont see an issue with the adds ..... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN