Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those who think the govt is trying to take away your guns, an honest question

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you realize that since Obama has been in office gun sales have reached record highs? There's nothing wrong with that but let's just think about it. Has it ever occurred to you that there are those who are profiting by lying and exaggerating and keeping the lie alive? The NRA, gun manufacturers and sellers are reaping big profits by whipping up a frenzy that Obama is out to get your guns. Has it ever occurred to you that they are manipulating you for their own gain? 

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Replies (41-50):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:00 PM

predators...no.  We dont have predators.  Farmers here cull, they hunt deer or wild big, not for food although it is eaten, but for sport.  Mostly they use their guns to cull pests like rabbits or kangaroos.

Quoting furbabymum:

Are you really telling me that farmers in Australia don't have guns to shoot predators???

Quoting turtle68:

I love living here :-)  I love our restrictions...they have helped our society, saved lots of lives.

We dont have "accidental" child deaths every day of the year (make that centuries)  People hunt and STILL we dont have "accidental" deaths....People shoot guns for fun at gun ranges....and YET STILL NO "accidental" deaths at home. 

NOBODY I have known who hunts or has them because they are farmers, and there are lots, as I grew up on farms and hunting....has ever used them as a means of self defense.  After they hunt or shoot at the range they are packed away until the next time.  They dont keep them on the ready to shoot a wouldbe intruder. 

Quoting grandmab125:

Taken with a grain of salt written by an Austrailian.  Austrailia, where only 5.2% of the population has a gun permit, because of extremely restrictive gun laws.  For everyones' edification:

Before someone can buy a firearm, he or she must obtain a Permit To Acquire. The first permit has a mandatory 28-day delay before it is first issued. In some states (e.g., Queensland, Victoria, and New South Wales), this is waived for second and subsequent firearms of the same class. For each firearm a "Genuine Reason" must be given, relating to pest control, hunting, target shooting, or collecting. Self-defense is not accepted as a reason for issuing a license, even though it may be legal under certain circumstances to use a legally held firearm for self-defense.[2]

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting KreatingMe:

Quoting turtle68:

It occurred to me :-)  and I dont even live in your country LOL

The frenzied and scared have historically always been the people that can be corralled the easiest.

I don't understand how anyone can miss it. It seems so obvious. Many times when there's a group perpetuating a need or a fear, it's the same people profiting off of it. Not to mention the whole thing is built on a huge lie. Obama isn't going to take away anyone's guns. Anything his administration is proposing would start in the future. No one's guns are going to be retro actively banned or removed from their possession. That statement is so ignorant and false. It's the lie that keeps the fear going. 

Its easy to believe the lie when you LIKE the lie.  Makes one clutch that gun that little bit harder with a well deserved smirk on their face...as if to say "just try and take it"  People on here post and boast about Obama being the best gun salesman in the world.  They are the ones who are feeding the fear...they love it.

The gun owners who are intelligent enough to know that this is a big fat lie....have guns...are happy with their gun and dont really feel the need to go ape everytime a anti gun post is posted.  Smart people.

Plus it really does help your (general) cause if it so happens that you are a religious nutjob and hate black people.  Then this gun lie is like Christmas all year round   JMO of course LOL

finnbar
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Heck yes! They can drop drones in ya from afar, easy peasy

Quoting gdiamante:

It occurs to me that the government doesn't NEED to take your guns away; they have LOTS of ways to take you out from a distance before you even get a chance to pick up your weapon.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LIMom1105
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Exactly. It's amazing to witness.

Quoting turtle68:

The frenzied and scared have historically always been the people that can be corralled the easiest.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:40 PM

honestly I have no idea why you think you know something about Australia? 

what 4th amendment rights do you think we DONT have?

The whole east coast of Australia is urban.  Drugs and gangs are still rampant.  They also have guns.  I dont have a problem with them having them...they can kill one another.  What we dont have is joe or jane doe having access to them so that their kids cant be "accidentally"  killed...we dont have the mentally ill having easy access to them to go and kill at random...and we dont have murders and suicide occurring by people who are angry at the time and want to take it back the next day. 

Ever heard of the boat people?  Indonesia is just a stones throw away 240 million most of which are people in poverty wanting out....we LITERALLY have detention centres overflowing with "illegal" immigrants and boat people coming in daily, dying to get in.  Certainly nothing like America...but please start reading a bit more before just guessing what is going on in the rest of the world and attempting to compare.

I actually agree with the US not banning guns....I really dont think you could go there because of the access to guns over decades.  However I dont think looking at countries who have tried restrictions of sorts would hurt you. 

Quoting grandmab125:

Let's see.  You've never been allowed to own hand guns for self defense. And after the buy back, there aren't a lot of people running around with guns. We here in the US value our 4th Amendment rights.

How much of your country is basically farms and non urban areas?  A completely different country than the US.

Your country is surrounded by water, ergo, you don't have illegal immigrants flooding your borders.  A lot of these illegals are drug dealers.  Drugs lead to high crime rates.  Millions of Americans live in crime ridden cities, and they need a way to protect themselves.

Restricting our gun rights won't lower the crime rate.  The thugs will always have illegal guns.  FBI statistics have shown in the last approximately 25 years, that wherever a state instituted conceal carry laws, violent crime rates dropped.  That burgler, mugger, rapist, isn't as likely to attack you, if he thinks you might have a gun.

I'm glad you love living there.  I love living here......  Two totally different countries.  Your restrictive laws would cause even more deaths in this country. 

Quoting turtle68:

I love living here :-)  I love our restrictions...they have helped our society, saved lots of lives.

We dont have "accidental" child deaths every day of the year (make that centuries)  People hunt and STILL we dont have "accidental" deaths....People shoot guns for fun at gun ranges....and YET STILL NO "accidental" deaths at home. 

NOBODY I have known who hunts or has them because they are farmers, and there are lots, as I grew up on farms and hunting....has ever used them as a means of self defense.  After they hunt or shoot at the range they are packed away until the next time.  They dont keep them on the ready to shoot a wouldbe intruder. 

Quoting grandmab125:

Taken with a grain of salt written by an Austrailian.  Austrailia, where only 5.2% of the population has a gun permit, because of extremely restrictive gun laws.  For everyones' edification:

Before someone can buy a firearm, he or she must obtain a Permit To Acquire. The first permit has a mandatory 28-day delay before it is first issued. In some states (e.g., Queensland, Victoria, and New South Wales), this is waived for second and subsequent firearms of the same class. For each firearm a "Genuine Reason" must be given, relating to pest control, hunting, target shooting, or collecting. Self-defense is not accepted as a reason for issuing a license, even though it may be legal under certain circumstances to use a legally held firearm for self-defense.[2]

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting KreatingMe:

Quoting turtle68:

I don't understand how anyone can miss it. It seems so obvious. Many times when there's a group perpetuating a need or a fear, it's the same people profiting off of it. Not to mention the whole thing is built on a huge lie. Obama isn't going to take away anyone's guns. Anything his administration is proposing would start in the future. No one's guns are going to be retro actively banned or removed from their possession. That statement is so ignorant and false. It's the lie that keeps the fear going. 

Its easy to believe the lie when you LIKE the lie.  Makes one clutch that gun that little bit harder with a well deserved smirk on their face...as if to say "just try and take it"  People on here post and boast about Obama being the best gun salesman in the world.  They are the ones who are feeding the fear...they love it.

The gun owners who are intelligent enough to know that this is a big fat lie....have guns...are happy with their gun and dont really feel the need to go ape everytime a anti gun post is posted.  Smart people.

Plus it really does help your (general) cause if it so happens that you are a religious nutjob and hate black people.  Then this gun lie is like Christmas all year round   JMO of course LOL

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Ah. We've got predators. Wolves, coyotes, raccoons, badgers, cougars, bears, etc. You could say our guns are used for self protection because our chickens provide for us and we'll shoot predators who try to kill them.

Quoting turtle68:

predators...no.  We dont have predators.  Farmers here cull, they hunt deer or wild big, not for food although it is eaten, but for sport.  Mostly they use their guns to cull pests like rabbits or kangaroos.

Quoting furbabymum:

Are you really telling me that farmers in Australia don't have guns to shoot predators???

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting KreatingMe:

Quoting turtle68:

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this

You don't have the right to own a gun for self defense...that's a part of our 4th Amendment.

What do innocent people in your gang infested urban areas do to protect themselves?  Look at Chicago, where they had over 500 murders last year.  The highest in the country by a long shot.  Not all of them were gang members.  A lot of them were innocent children and adults.  Yet IL is the only state that bans conceal carry.  What does that tell you?

Just because you don't live in an urban area, and apparently it's safe where you live, you don't care about innocent people in urban areas?

As for your boat people, as you said, you have detention centers.  We have nothing...Obama has literally killed what little power our border patrol had. Our southern borders are wide open and our pathetic HSA (Janet Napolitano, et al) picks and chooses which illegals they will deport. We have 13 M illegals in this country.

And as for the mentally ill getting a hold of guns, that's what a lot of Americans have been screaming about for decades.  Under Obama's gun grab plan, there will be no way for the states to check a person's mental status.  In other words, their medical history of mental illness will not be revealed.  This is specifically stated in the law.

A person who wants to kill himself can find a dozen ways to do it besides with a gun.

As for poor little children who get a hold of a gun and kill themselves with it, that is because of irresponsible parents.  This is terrible, but it is a minute percentage when compared to the number of households that have guns in them.  Most gun owners are responsible and keep their guns locked up and have taught their children the dangers of playing with guns, and as they grow older the responsibilites of being a gun owner.

Oh we can look at other countries with strict gun laws, and I'm sure we have.  But it is against our 4th Amendment rights, and would never work here.

Quoting turtle68:

honestly I have no idea why you think you know something about Australia? 

what 4th amendment rights do you think we DONT have?

The whole east coast of Australia is urban.  Drugs and gangs are still rampant.  They also have guns.  I dont have a problem with them having them...they can kill one another.  What we dont have is joe or jane doe having access to them so that their kids cant be "accidentally"  killed...we dont have the mentally ill having easy access to them to go and kill at random...and we dont have murders and suicide occurring by people who are angry at the time and want to take it back the next day. 

Ever heard of the boat people?  Indonesia is just a stones throw away 240 million most of which are people in poverty wanting out....we LITERALLY have detention centres overflowing with "illegal" immigrants and boat people coming in daily, dying to get in.  Certainly nothing like America...but please start reading a bit more before just guessing what is going on in the rest of the world and attempting to compare.

I actually agree with the US not banning guns....I really dont think you could go there because of the access to guns over decades.  However I dont think looking at countries who have tried restrictions of sorts would hurt you. 

Quoting grandmab125:

Let's see.  You've never been allowed to own hand guns for self defense. And after the buy back, there aren't a lot of people running around with guns. We here in the US value our 4th Amendment rights.

How much of your country is basically farms and non urban areas?  A completely different country than the US.

Your country is surrounded by water, ergo, you don't have illegal immigrants flooding your borders.  A lot of these illegals are drug dealers.  Drugs lead to high crime rates.  Millions of Americans live in crime ridden cities, and they need a way to protect themselves.

Restricting our gun rights won't lower the crime rate.  The thugs will always have illegal guns.  FBI statistics have shown in the last approximately 25 years, that wherever a state instituted conceal carry laws, violent crime rates dropped.  That burgler, mugger, rapist, isn't as likely to attack you, if he thinks you might have a gun.

I'm glad you love living there.  I love living here......  Two totally different countries.  Your restrictive laws would cause even more deaths in this country. 

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting KreatingMe:

Quoting turtle68:

grandma B

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:20 PM

when I spoke of them not using the gun for self defense I meant that the gun was never by the door or under the bed for fear of some intruder.

Quoting furbabymum:

Ah. We've got predators. Wolves, coyotes, raccoons, badgers, cougars, bears, etc. You could say our guns are used for self protection because our chickens provide for us and we'll shoot predators who try to kill them.

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting furbabymum:

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Ah. Neither are ours. :P We don't worry about intruders. They'd have to be stupid to try to get past the dogs. See, not all American's with guns are nuts! Won't lie though, I'd be upset if they banned guns. We really do need them and it's not for the zombie apocolypse.

Quoting turtle68:

when I spoke of them not using the gun for self defense I meant that the gun was never by the door or under the bed for fear of some intruder.

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting furbabymum:

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Hunting for sport is barbaric.  If you're going to kill an animal such as a deer, rabbit, ducks, geese, etc., you damned well better be eating the meat.

My son-in-law is a hunter, but he would never kill for the sport of it.  When he gets a deer or geese, they consume the meat.

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting KreatingMe:

Quoting turtle68:

grandma B

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Did you not read about the bill in MO? I dk if it passed or not, but yes, there are legislators trying to take guns.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured