Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tampon Subscription Services Look to Absorb Women's Monthly Frustrations

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:09 AM
  • 9 Replies

Tampon Subscription Services Look to Absorb Women's Monthly Frustrations

PHOTO: HelloFlo and Juniper offer competing monthly tampon subscription services for women.
HelloFlo and Juniper offer competing monthly tampon subscription services for women. (HelloFlo| Juniper)

March 7, 2013

It's a routine women know all too well. At that time of the month, it's off to the drugstore to buy a box of tampons, and perhaps some Advil or Midol as well. And, well, you know the rest. The next month, rinse and repeat.

We order food, taxis, personal assistants, even Girl Scout Cookies using the web and mobile applications. But why not even the most intimate of products? Why not tampons?

It's certainly an idea, an idea that now a few women have had. A number of start-ups are now trying to improve the monthly experience of having one's period. There isn't much they can do about the natural process menstruation, but three companies -- Juniper, HelloFlo, and LeParcel -- have set out to improve the tampon-buying experience with monthly subscription services.

"This entire experience is so last-century. You go to the store, you buy your stuff and you come home and you run out," Lynn Tao, the founder of Juniper, told ABC News in an interview. "You can pay $35 in San Francisco and find a start-up to do almost anything for you -- clean your house, get you a car. Why not for something like this? This should be automated too."

HelloFlo| Juniper
HelloFlo and Juniper offer competing monthly... View Full Size
PHOTO: HelloFlo and Juniper offer competing monthly tampon subscription services for women.
HelloFlo| Juniper
HelloFlo and Juniper offer competing monthly tampon subscription services for women.

Three Services, One Goal
All three of the services work in a similar way. You pick your tampon brand, tell the service when you get your period, enter your payment information and the tampons are delivered to your house five to six days before you begin your cycle.

But the services are certainly not identical. Juniper was one of the first tampon subscription services to hit the Web, and it also happens to be the priciest. Tao launched the site in October 2012 and began charging $28 a month. You pick your preferred Tampon brand, go through the "calibration process," which requires you put in the start date of your period, and decide if you need some Midol or backup protection (panty liners, pads, etc.).

Tao says the premium price gives you a premium experience. The packaging is nice and included with each set of tampons (you can request anywhere from 10 to 40 tampons) are a selection of teas and, of course, chocolates. If you opt to include Midol or panty liners, they're all included in the $28 flat fee. While a box of 36 tampons usually costs $8.00, Tao says her service "provides a lot more value." Each subscriber is also paired with a Juniper BFF, someone who helps customize the experience.

However, HelloFlo, which launched earlier this week, offers similar services for half the price. Naama Bloom, the founder of the service, said it is all about convenience and making it fit into the way you are already talking about your period.

"I thought of how I think about my period and how do I talk about it," Bloom told ABC News in an interview. "We focus on the one decision and that's whether you have a low, medium or heavy period."

There are three flow (or flo) options. The $14-a-month deal is for those whose periods are on the lighter side and only last for 3 to 4 days. Then there are the $16 Medium Flo and the $18 Heavy Flo packages. The size and number of tampons included depend on your flow level. When you select the plan, you input the day of your last period and the frequency of your period as well as your birth date. Included with the package is a small treat.

And because three is never a crowd, there is Le Parcel, started by Megan Hollenback. Le Parcel fits in between the other two. For $15 a month, you get 30 tampons or pads or panty liners of your choice. And yes, included in each Le Parcel package is a piece of chocolate and a small gift.

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
romalove
by Roma on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I honestly can't imagine anyone using such services.  They are ridiculously pricey for something so simple.  But, there is always a sucker...

It is giving me an idea, though, so thank you for posting!

weezer_cookie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:33 AM
2 moms liked this
I love this headline. That is all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:59 AM

If I had money to blow on Flo I'd probably use it. However, I will never have to worry about such things for me ever again! Thank Gawd! Wish I had thought of the idea. Pretty genius. 

SuperChicken
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Really?   I can't say I think about my period all that much.  It happens every month, I use a divacup so no trip to the drugstore,  and that's that.  Although chocolates in the mail on a monthly basis sounds all right.    Hmmm, I think I might google monthly chocolate delivery later today!

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

sadly, 18$ a month is what I normally spend for my tampon needs and that is just for the tampons. But with this, I would get a prezzie and a chocolate... hmmm

maciymommieof3
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM

treats with tampons

Quoting Sekirei:

sadly, 18$ a month is what I normally spend for my tampon needs and that is just for the tampons. But with this, I would get a prezzie and a chocolate... hmmm

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Genius! Absolutely Genius!

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I would think most women don't wait until they get their period to go to the store.  I imagine most people just buy a couple of boxes when they are on sale and then pick up a couple more when they get low.  I would never pay $28 per month for tampax!  lol

momtoscott
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Good luck to them, I guess, but I have other things to do with an extra $20/month.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured