Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Food Cravings Engineered by Industry

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:19 AM
  • 9 Replies

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2013/03/05/f-vp-crowe-food-addiction.html

This is Canadian, but I think also relevant here.   The article is long, but a good read.

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Good article

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I believe it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Say it ain't so! 

:)

There have been quite a few damning things coming out lately in the food industry. Like Kraft's mac n cheese has artificial color and flavor in the US but not the UK, because it's not allowed there. And processed foods astoundingly high levels of sodium, and high sodium intakes being linked to autoimmune dieseases. 

Yeah. Blech. Get that crap out of our food, already. It shouldn't be so hard to choose to eat good food, but it is. 

Yes, it really is. Access, price, availability, misleading claims, addiditives... there are a ton of things colluding to make eating healthy a pain in the ass. (that's my preemptive strike against the "oh it's so easy to eat good food, people are just lazy!". The entire system is set up to make eating crap the norm. That shouldn't be the case). 

SuperChicken
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I love that the fact that companies are doing this on purpose is being so frankly discussed.  That they are actually designing their "food" to be addictive.  I mean, everyone has always known this but that the media is placing such focus on it, is encouraging.    And damn those round chocolates! 

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Quoting SuperChicken:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2013/03/05/f-vp-crowe-food-addiction.html

This is Canadian, but I think also relevant here.   The article is long, but a good read.

The crunch is also crucial, Lukehurst said. "It's partly the noise, the noise amplifies, through the jaw bones connected to your ears, and you can hear the crunch quite loudly when you bite. But it's also the physical requirement to chew on something and crunch it. It just distracts you and pours your mind onto what you’re eating."

The importance of "crunch" was confirmed in a study funded by Unilever where the scientists tested whether people's perception of a chip was altered by the sound it made when they bit into it. The researchers concluded that "the potato chips were perceived as being both crisper and fresher when … the overall sound level was increased," indicating another possible way to control the perception of the product, although, the authors wrote, "consumers are often unaware of the influence of such auditory cues."

It also helps if the food dissolves quickly in the mouth, tricking the brain into believing that no calories have been ingested. It's called "vanishing caloric density."

"What happens is that your brain gets fooled into thinking the calories have vanished and you’re much more apt to keep eating before the brain sends you a signal …you've had enough," author Michael Moss said.

Good stuff.  But did anyone imagine that snack food companies don't try to design their snacks to be 'moreish' ?

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Quoting Clairwil:

The crunch is also crucial

Good stuff.  But did anyone imagine that snack food companies don't try to design their snacks to be 'moreish' ?

C'mon, they even make a selling point of it in their adverts:

a secret conspiracy, this is not

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Quoting krysstizzle:

Say it ain't so! 

There have been quite a few damning things coming out lately in the food industry. Like Kraft's mac n cheese has artificial color and flavor in the US but not the UK, because it's not allowed there. And processed foods astoundingly high levels of sodium, and high sodium intakes being linked to autoimmune dieseases. 

Yeah. Blech. Get that crap out of our food, already. It shouldn't be so hard to choose to eat good food, but it is. 

Yes, it really is. Access, price, availability, misleading claims, addiditives... there are a ton of things colluding to make eating healthy a pain in the ass. (that's my preemptive strike against the "oh it's so easy to eat good food, people are just lazy!". The entire system is set up to make eating crap the norm. That shouldn't be the case). 

My husband was saying the bread is much better in the UK than here.
krysstizzle
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's a link to a story (investigation from Food Babe) about this.

And an excerpt:

It is appalling to witness the examples I am about to share with you. The U.S. food corporations are unnecessarily feeding us chemicals – while leaving out almost all questionable ingredients in our friends’ products overseas. The point is the food industry has already formulated safer, better products, but they are voluntarily only selling inferior versions of these products here in America. The evidence of this runs the gamut from fast food places to boxed cake mix to cereal to candy and even oatmeal – you can’t escape it.

US brands that are reformulated without additives in other countries

Some of the key American brands that are participating in this deception are McDonald’s, Pringles (owned by Kellogg’s), Pizza Hut and Quaker (owned by Pepsi), Betty Crocker (owned by General Mills), Starburst (owned by M&M/Mars), and Ritz Crackers (owned by Kraft). In the examples below, red text indicates potentially harmful ingredients and/or ingredients likely to contain GMOs.

Betty Crocker Red Velvet Cake Mix Ingredients

Betty Crocker cream cheese icing ingredients

Having a pre-made box of flour, baking soda and sugar all ready to go saves time for some people when it comes to making a cake, but does saving time have to come at the expense of chemically derived and potentially toxic ingredients?

The United States version of Betty Crocker Red Velvet cake not only has artificial colors linked to hyperactivity in children, food cravings, and obesity, but it also has partially hydrogenated oils (a.k.a. trans fat). Trans fat has been shown to be deadly even in small amounts. “Previous trials have linked even a 40-calorie-per-day increase in trans fat intake to a 23% higher risk of heart disease.” This could easily be the amount of trans fat in one serving of Betty Crocker icing alone.

Sodium benzoate is an ingredient that Coca-Cola actually removed in their Diet Coke product overseas, but you’ll still find it in their product Sprite, cake mixes and loads of other products across the USA. The Mayo Clinic reported that this preservative increases hyperactivity in children. Also, when sodium benzoate combines with ascorbic acid (vitamin C), it can form benzene, a carcinogen that damages DNA in cells and accelerates aging.

McDonald's french fries ingredients

Fast Food giants like McDonald’s and Pizza Hut are just as guilty as General Mills’ Betty Crocker.

Look closely at the ingredients in McDonald’s french fries above. Do you see how the french fries in the U.K. version are basically just potatoes, vegetable oil, a little sugar and salt? How can McDonald’s make french fries with such an uncomplicated list of ingredients all over Europe, but not over here? Why do McDonald’s french fries in the U.S. have to have TBHQ, trans fat and “anti-foaming” agents? Correct me if I’m wrong, but the last time I checked – I didn’t think Americans liked foam with their fries either!

The anti-foaming agent – dimethylpolysiloxane – is a type of silicone used in caulks and sealants and as a filler for breast implants. It’s also the key ingredient in silly putty.

Thanks FDA for allowing companies to put silly putty in our french fries. Seriously – this is out of control. 

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Say it ain't so! 

My husband was saying the bread is much better in the UK than here.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Makes sense that this is true.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)