Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Can you think of any high profile cases of missing minorities? Why do you think these cases get so little attention?

Posted by   + Show Post

Missing People of Color Don't Make Headlines: What 2 Moms Are Doing About It

by April Daniels Hussar

Justice Page, Missing Since: Feb 18, 2013
Justice Page, Missing Since: Feb. 18, 2013
When you think of famous missing persons cases in America, what pops into your mind? If you’re like me, probably Natalee Holloway, Caylee Anthony, Laci Peterson, or Jaycee Dugard -- four people whose terrible stories all have different endings, but who share one thing in common: the color of their skin. But have you ever heard of Tamika Huston, a 24-year-old African American woman who disappeared from her apartment in 2004, or 14-year-old Justice Page (pictured here), missing from her home in Silver Spring, Maryland since mid-February of this year?

Probably not -- and that’s exactly what motivated Derrica and Natalie Wilson, two moms and sisters-in-law, to start the Black and Missing Foundation, a non-profit geared toward helping minority families find their missing loved ones.

The story on the inspiration behind the Wilson sisters' mission left me both frustrated and inspired -- what an eye-opening read! Derrica Wilson, who’s from the same town in South Carolina as Huston, was devastated to see how difficult it was for Huston’s family to get the media’s attention over their missing girl. "It was painful watching them struggle for any kind of media coverage -- local or national," Wilson said. "This could have been one of my family members." Heartbreaking.

A year later, Natalee Holloway disappeared in Aruba, and you know the story -- we’re STILL talking about it. So, Wilson, a longtime cop who currently works as an investigator for a D.C. agency, teamed up with her sister-in-law Natalie Wilson, a PR expert, to launch the non-profit that has so far helped locate more than 113 missing people -- 71 of them alive.

How incredible is that? These are just two "regular" women, both of whom have their own families and full-time jobs. They donate their time, energy, and own money to making a difference in the world, helping to right a terrible injustice, and reuniting missing people with their families, or -- sadly but importantly, helping them find closure and answers. In a recent interview with Ebony.com, Derrica says that she and Natalie are "mothers first," and that she is often haunted by the stories they come into contact with, especially the missing children. 

Currently, Black and Missing Foundation has 2,000 open cases they’re working on. A drop in the bucket, but what a powerful drop. According to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children and the Department of Justice, 2,000 children are reported missing in America EVERY SINGLE DAY. And the Wilson sisters’ foundation reports that of the 661,593 people reported missing last year, about 40 percent of those were minorities.

That’s a horrifying number of people, amounting to a whole lot of scared, heartbroken family members. Of course, every missing persons case can’t make headline news (unfortunately). But there’s something really wrong when the ONLY ones who do make the news are white.

I can’t even imagine the horror of my child going missing, or my sister, or anyone I love -- but how much more awful it would be if no one would pay attention to my plight, or help me, because my loss wasn't perceived to be as newsworthy. These women are my heroes.

Can you think of any high profile cases of missing minorities? Why do you think these cases get so little attention?

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Replies (31-40):
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Me too. Isn't that just sad.

Quoting krysstizzle:

The only reason I know this is because of Dave Chappelle. Seriously. :/

Quoting Citygirlk:

Do you know that the same day Elizabeth smart went missing a 5 year old black girl also went missing. Guess which one got more attention.

romanceparty4u
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM

but wait....isn't Chicago GUN FREE???

Quoting Billiejeens:

Probably the same reason Black on Black crime isn't getting any attention, whatever reason that one thinks it is.

Minorities are killing each other in staggering numbers in Chicago and sadly we hear nothing about that.

romanceparty4u
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Here's a "pretty smile" and still, blatant lack of attention

https://www.facebook.com/missingphoenixcoldon?ref=ts&fref=ts

krysstizzle
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Incredibly so. 

Quoting Citygirlk:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting Citygirlk:

Do you know that the same day Elizabeth smart went missing a 5 year old black girl also went missing. Guess which one got more attention.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh good grief.  The reason black kids are featured less is because they are abducted less.  Only around 16% of caretaker abducted children are black, whereas 57% are white.  Of those reported missing (non caretaker related),  19% are black, compared to 54% white.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/196465.pdf

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Because certain stories just don't sell....I agree with others that primarily, pretty, young, blonde white women/girls are HIGHLY reported, while others are not. Or if they are reported, it is reported on the local level, hardly ever on the national level. I think race and class play a huge part as well, like another mom mentioned. TV One has a show called Find Our Missing and it is very interesting to watch.

SuperChicken
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM

On average about 2,000 children go missing EVERY day.   So that means about 1,999 children that went missing the same day as Elizabeth Smart didn't get her coverage. :(

missingkids.com

Quoting Citygirlk:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting Citygirlk:

AlliviasMommy
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM

What about Black Media outlets?  What about BET, TVONE?  How much time have they spent on this little boy?   We cant expect white media to care about our lost and missing children.  So we have to do things for ourselves.Is a real shame the way media outlets don't get up in arms when little black kids go missing. But let a little white kid get stung by a bee & some New Law goes on the books. Long been known the best way to get attention if you are missing is to be an attractive blonde white girl.My daughter is blonde and blue-eyed BUT she's black, so therefore would only receive local attention.But oh no there's no racism in the great USA..

momwith2monkeys
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I can think of 1. It wasn't really big but it was big in Florida. In 2002 i can't remember the little girl name but it was a 2 year old black girl. They never found her  but it was all over the news in Florida.

I think the reason is money or the severity of the crime commit like  with caylee and Laci.  a lot of the other ones the families had money. A lot o black familes don't have money. ( not saying all black families).

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM

She was dating the father of Jonbenet Ramsey  for a spell- I was totally creeped out by that one.

Quoting KreatingMe:

The Natalee Holloway coverage was extremely disturbing. Her mom had to be paying or sleeping with someone. That amount of undo attention was disgusting.  I second the comment, that it has a lot to do with class.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN