Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Can you think of any high profile cases of missing minorities? Why do you think these cases get so little attention?

Posted by   + Show Post

Missing People of Color Don't Make Headlines: What 2 Moms Are Doing About It

by April Daniels Hussar

Justice Page, Missing Since: Feb 18, 2013
Justice Page, Missing Since: Feb. 18, 2013
When you think of famous missing persons cases in America, what pops into your mind? If you’re like me, probably Natalee Holloway, Caylee Anthony, Laci Peterson, or Jaycee Dugard -- four people whose terrible stories all have different endings, but who share one thing in common: the color of their skin. But have you ever heard of Tamika Huston, a 24-year-old African American woman who disappeared from her apartment in 2004, or 14-year-old Justice Page (pictured here), missing from her home in Silver Spring, Maryland since mid-February of this year?

Probably not -- and that’s exactly what motivated Derrica and Natalie Wilson, two moms and sisters-in-law, to start the Black and Missing Foundation, a non-profit geared toward helping minority families find their missing loved ones.

The story on the inspiration behind the Wilson sisters' mission left me both frustrated and inspired -- what an eye-opening read! Derrica Wilson, who’s from the same town in South Carolina as Huston, was devastated to see how difficult it was for Huston’s family to get the media’s attention over their missing girl. "It was painful watching them struggle for any kind of media coverage -- local or national," Wilson said. "This could have been one of my family members." Heartbreaking.

A year later, Natalee Holloway disappeared in Aruba, and you know the story -- we’re STILL talking about it. So, Wilson, a longtime cop who currently works as an investigator for a D.C. agency, teamed up with her sister-in-law Natalie Wilson, a PR expert, to launch the non-profit that has so far helped locate more than 113 missing people -- 71 of them alive.

How incredible is that? These are just two "regular" women, both of whom have their own families and full-time jobs. They donate their time, energy, and own money to making a difference in the world, helping to right a terrible injustice, and reuniting missing people with their families, or -- sadly but importantly, helping them find closure and answers. In a recent interview with Ebony.com, Derrica says that she and Natalie are "mothers first," and that she is often haunted by the stories they come into contact with, especially the missing children. 

Currently, Black and Missing Foundation has 2,000 open cases they’re working on. A drop in the bucket, but what a powerful drop. According to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children and the Department of Justice, 2,000 children are reported missing in America EVERY SINGLE DAY. And the Wilson sisters’ foundation reports that of the 661,593 people reported missing last year, about 40 percent of those were minorities.

That’s a horrifying number of people, amounting to a whole lot of scared, heartbroken family members. Of course, every missing persons case can’t make headline news (unfortunately). But there’s something really wrong when the ONLY ones who do make the news are white.

I can’t even imagine the horror of my child going missing, or my sister, or anyone I love -- but how much more awful it would be if no one would pay attention to my plight, or help me, because my loss wasn't perceived to be as newsworthy. These women are my heroes.

Can you think of any high profile cases of missing minorities? Why do you think these cases get so little attention?

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Replies (41-50):
Radarma
by "OneDar" on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

Oh good grief.  The reason black kids are featured less is because they are abducted less.  Only around 16% of caretaker abducted children are black, whereas 57% are white.  Of those reported missing (non caretaker related),  19% are black, compared to 54% white.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/196465.pdf

Good grief is right, damn racist america!

eye rolling

JanuaryBaby06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:03 PM
The little girl who was taken from her school in philly pa. That dominated the news here and i believe it reached past juat this area.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Because there are more white people that's why.

Quoting kailu1835:

Oh good grief.  The reason black kids are featured less is because they are abducted less.  Only around 16% of caretaker abducted children are black, whereas 57% are white.  Of those reported missing (non caretaker related),  19% are black, compared to 54% white.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:08 PM

In the same area.

Quoting SuperChicken:

On average about 2,000 children go missing EVERY day.   So that means about 1,999 children that went missing the same day as Elizabeth Smart didn't get her coverage. :(

missingkids.com

Quoting Citygirlk:

Me too. Isn't that just sad.

Quoting krysstizzle:

The only reason I know this is because of Dave Chappelle. Seriously. :/

Quoting Citygirlk:

Do you know that the same day Elizabeth smart went missing a 5 year old black girl also went missing. Guess which one got more attention.

katy_kay08
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

so let's see, so far we have the media focuses on cases where the kids have "pretty smiles" and black children's names are too complicated, Americans need them to be simple to remember them.  

those are some pretty freaking pathetic excuses on why the media isn't covering these cases more.  

SuperChicken
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM

And?  that would affect local coverage.     You don't find it disturbing that one child, by virtue of being a pretty blonde with wealthy parents was given almost all of the national media coverage when about 2000 kids went missing the same day?  I do.  

Quoting Citygirlk:

In the same area.

Quoting SuperChicken:

On average about 2,000 children go missing EVERY day.   So that means about 1,999 children that went missing the same day as Elizabeth Smart didn't get her coverage. :(

missingkids.com

Quoting Citygirlk:

Me too. Isn't that just sad.

Quoting krysstizzle:

The only reason I know this is because of Dave Chappelle. Seriously. :/

Quoting Citygirlk:

Do you know that the same day Elizabeth smart went missing a 5 year old black girl also went missing. Guess which one got more attention.

Mystres
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:19 PM

If you do the math, with the 2011 Census, and the % of each races abduction rate, then that means only about 3% of the US abductions are black kids. and about 30% are white kids. and the other % are of other races

So it makes since that there would be more coverage on whites.

Quoting kailu1835:

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM

There was that case in AZ, where the crackhead mother tried to claim that her baby had not been found because the media wouldn't talk about it. Turned out momma had murdered baby. 

Then the one where the two year old went missing, and was found in the snow about forty yards from her house. She had been kicked out of the house when mommy's new penis got frightened by the amount of bleeding after he had raped her, so he took her outside and left her.

Oh, and the one about the little boy who went missing, only to find out later that mommy's lesbian lover had beat and starved him, because she hated men.

Oh, and the mom who murdered her son, claimed he was kidnapped, and then killed herself because Nancy Grace told her what we all knew.

I can totally keep going, if you want.

You hear more about those other cases, because those are the cases that sell newspapers and attract viewers.  News papers and newsnetworks are in it for the money. They don't actually give a shit about finding the kids.  Minorities are not featured, because minorities are not the demo that they know they have.

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Oh! I also remember a little boy going missing around the same time as Caylee Anthony did.  In the same area.  He was severely autistic.  I don't know if he was ever found, but I think it was assumed the gators got him.

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I think the author is fishing.  There are plenty of missing person cases, white and non-white that don't get the attention of Natalie Holloway's abduction did.  These cases grow cold too and don't gain national attention.  Is the reason racism or is it an overworked, understaffed investigation?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN