Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PIOG Sermon rips anti-bullying bill - Pastor warns of God's actions over gay-group provisions

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM
  • 41 Replies

My husband and I have been in discussions about moving to Steinbach, MB.  We thought it would give our children (DS is 3 years old and DD is 5 months) access to more programs and opportunities and a better quality education than the small town that we live in now.  However, after reading the article below (and several others online), I wonder if that would be the right decision for us. 

Now, I am all for religious freedom.  While I am not a member of any organized faith, I have nothing against those who are.  How, I do take issue with bigots and fanatics.

This pastor is against Bill 18 because, in part, it would require all schools to support any student who wishes to form a gay-straight alliance within their school.  Opponents to this Bill are claiming that it infringes upon their religious rights.  They are specifically referring to Steinbach Christian School, which is 50% privately funded and 50% government funded.  

Huh? So how does allowing someone to be openly gay (lesbian, bisexual, transexual) infringe upon your religious rights?  I'm lost on that part of their argument. 

I am so angry that, while we as a society have come so far in creating equality for all people, I have to read about these bigotted, fear/hate-mongering morons in my morning newspaper (right here in my own backyard).

I have more to add about this, but I have to get my DS off to daycare.  Please weigh in and give me your thoughts.

The pastor of a large Steinbach church has warned local politicians, teachers, media members and other local citizens in prominent jobs that God can replace them if they stay silent on the call to oppose the province's Bill 18.

At his Feb. 24 sermon to thousands of parishioners at Southland Church in Steinbach, Pastor Ray Duerksen specifically cited Hanover and Steinbach councillors, Hanover school trustees, doctors in the regional health authority, MLAs and MPs, police, firefighters, teachers, and media members and said: "God did not place you in your position because you are the only person who can do your job that well.

"If you don't do it, God will set you and I aside, and raise up someone who will."

Bill 18, which aims to fight bullying, guarantees any student in a public or private school who asks to form a gay-straight alliance must be supported by the school. Some Christians in southern Manitoba have said the bill infringes on their right to support schools that reflect their religious values.

A source in Steinbach who requested anonymity said Wednesday there is local talk that some church members are planning to run their own slates in the 2014 school board and city council elections, to try to "stack" the public bodies.

Duerksen said in his Feb. 24 sermon God placed people in their positions -- including him -- for a reason.

"We have influence. You are an Esther or a Mordechai because you have influence," the pastor said, apparently referring to a Book of Esther story in which two characters who had influence in the court of a king are praised for standing up for the "people of God" despite personal risk.

"It's (Bill 18) a legitimate fear, and I should do something about it.

"God doesn't need us," Duerksen said. "Too many people take for granted their positions of influence."

Duerksen did not respond to an interview request Wednesday.

The sermon came the same morning as a meeting and prayer session later that evening that drew 1,200 people to Steinbach Christian High School to oppose Bill 18 -- Duerksen used his sermon to exhort his parishioners to attend.

Duerksen asked those who choose to remain silent on Bill 18 how they can ever explain themselves to their children and grandchildren.

Several area municipal councillors are reportedly members of the Southland congregation. In his official online biography, Tory education critic MLA Kelvin Goertzen (Steinbach) says his family has belonged to Southland for 15 years.

If Bill 18 passes, Duerksen said in his sermon, "We're going to lose our religious freedom.

"We lost the abortion debate in the '70s... we lost the same-sex debate," and it's not going to happen again, he said.

Duerksen said if Steinbach Christian High School is forced to allow a gay-straight alliance in the school, "that is an attack on our religious freedom."

Steinbach Christian has 235 students in grades 5 to 12.

Meanwhile, Steinbach Regional Secondary School has 1,394 public school students in grades 10 to 12 and is the fourth-largest school in Manitoba. The Hanover School Division has told Education Minister Nancy Allan it will comply with Bill 18, and will accommodate any student who requests a gay-straight alliance.

In his sermon, Duerksen said any sex outside of the parameters of a man and a woman married to each other "is wrong." Duerksen said Bill 18 is the greatest challenge facing Christian churches, and said it is part of a hidden agenda to destroy Christianity.

Duerksen said the Bible is being treated as "hate literature."

The church and the community are in "mortal danger" over the legislation, Duerksen said.

Southland Church has scheduled a prayer session on Bill 18 Friday from 8 p.m. to midnight.

nick.martin@freepress.mb.ca

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM
8 moms liked this

Reminds me of this. If he doesn't want the bible being treated as "hate literature" he should stop using it to discriminate against people and oppress others.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Donna6503
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Gee didn't Jesus say, "give unto Caesar that which belongs to Caesar "... I guess I missed the part that says ... "Only if they stop all that homosexual orgy."

Nope can't find it anywhere in the bible that homosexuals is a reason to violate and or break the laws of the land.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperChicken
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:32 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh look, another Christian feeling persecuted because he's not able to oppress others as much as his granddaddy got to.   Poor poor persecuted poppums.  

LDavis33
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I can't let this go. This isn't just about church members who are against this bill, City Council is also fighting it (see the article below from cbc.ca), claiming that it infringes on their religious beliefs.  One of the council members went so far as to say that the bill is "like being persecuted for their beliefs"... I am at a loss for words...

Except not really.  I understand that community leaders and government officials are often people of faith.  But I also believe, as I think most rational people do, that we need to keep our faith out of government policy as much as possible.  

I am definitely re-thinking our moving plans, I do not want my tax dollars going towards supporting this kind of bigotry and fear. 

By the way they mention in the article that they are referring to an independent faith-based school (as opposed to a public school).  However, this "independent" school gets 50% of it's funding from the government.

Arrrggghhh! 

The City of Steinbach, Man., wants the province to make changes it its proposed anti-bullying bill.

Council passed a motion this week to ask the province to review Bill 18 because they feel it infringes on their religious beliefs.

"We want them to change it to say independent faith based schools do not have to have groups that are in conflict with their beliefs," Coun. Susan Penner said in an interview on Thursday.

The biggest concern is a clause in the bill that would force schools to accommodate students who want to start specific anti-bullying clubs, including gay-straight alliances.

Last week, about 1,000 staff, students and parents met in the gymnasium at Steinbach Christian High School for a prayer event in opposition to Bill 18. People at the meeting were also asked to write letters to provincial politicians with their concerns.

The town of Steinbach was founded by Mennonite families fleeing religious persecution in Russia.

Bill 18 is like being persecuted for their beliefs again, Penner said.

At a church service on Feb. 24, Pastor Ray Duerksen told parishioners at Steinbach's Southland Church that God will judge those who don't oppose Bill 18.

Southland Church is also holding a prayer session on Bill 18 on Friday night.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM

wow

Duerksen said if Steinbach Christian High School is forced to allow a gay-straight alliance in the school, "that is an attack on our religious freedom."

In his sermon, Duerksen said any sex outside of the parameters of a man and a woman married to each other "is wrong." Duerksen said Bill 18 is the greatest challenge facing Christian churches, and said it is part of a hidden agenda to destroy Christianity.

The church and the community are in "mortal danger" over the legislation, Duerksen said.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Reminds me of this. If he doesn't want the bible being treated as "hate literature" he should stop using it to discriminate against people and oppress others.

lol

That is perfect.

LDavis33
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow is right.  I can't think of anything more frightening than a paranoid religious fanatic....

Quoting futureshock:

wow

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

So, you aren't going to move, presumably for a better job, because of one church in Manitoba? 

Does that one pastor threaten you so much?  What's the population of Manitoba? 

I can't wrap my head around this kind of thinking.  With that logic, I would move out of my own state, because in a part across town, there are many shootings. I should have left my town in my childhood, because there were descendants of Klan members there; it had once been a stronghold.    I would move out of my region, because there are a few bad areas, and some large institutions that promote ideas that are damaging to society.  I would move out of the U.S. because of some policies of the government that are also damaging to society, as well as certain business practices of the most evil of corporations.

I would move out of the planet because there are bad people.

I think you need to make your choices based upon your own situation, and not worry that there are people out there who disagree with you.

And why does "bullying" ALWAYS have to be addressed by gay-straight alliances?  Why can't there be a general anti-bullying club?  Why doesn't that suit you (and them)?

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM

No one is saying that Anti-Bullying has to be addressed by the "gay-straight alliance". Bill 18 just makes it so a school cannot deny a gay-straight alliance from forming at a school.

The school can also have an Anti-Bully club.  But if that club is filled with people who think gays are abonominations, sinners, disgusting, akin to bestiality, akin to incest, and marrying a toaster and whatever other crazy thing chriantians have said about gays. It might be a smart move to have their own club.

Quoting TranquilMind:

So, you aren't going to move, presumably for a better job, because of one church in Manitoba? 

I can't wrap my head around this kind of thinking.  With that logic, I would move out of my own state, because in a part across town, there are many shootings. I should have left my town in my childhood, because there were descendants of Klan members there; it had once been a stronghold.    I would move out of my region, because there are a few bad areas, and some large institutions that promote ideas that are damaging to society.  I would move out of the U.S. because of some policies of the government that are also damaging to society, as well as certain business practices of the most evil of corporations.

I think you need to make your choices based upon your own situation, and not worry that there are people out there who disagree with you.

And why does "bullying" ALWAYS have to be addressed by gay-straight alliances?  Why can't there be a general anti-bullying club?  Why doesn't that suit you (and them)?

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Just as I thought.  I figured this was some skewed reporting by an incredibly biased source - as well as a biased OP - and it IS.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/25/manitoba-poised-demand-faith-based-independent-schools-to-allow-gay-straight-alliances/

What is actually happening is that Bill 18 is requiring CHRISTIAN schools, because they receive some government funding under MB law as do all schools, it appears, to not only permit "anti-bullying" clubs - which are fine -but they are also REQUIRED SPECIFICALLY to permit Gay-straight alliances (and what a misnomer that is, but I digress).  So the issue that parents have is that the CHRISTIAN school will not be able to teach Christian principles, including that marriage is between a man and a woman and that sodomy is wrong, without running afoul of the wording of Bill 18 about "bullying" (ostensibly, but really about inserting the gay agenda into Christian schools). 

Bullying is defined as "Manitoba’s proposed legislation defines bullying broadly, as any behaviour “intended to cause, or should be known to cause, fear, intimidation, humiliation, distress or other forms of harm to another person’s body, feelings, self-esteem, reputation or property.” 

Well, that's pretty darn broad.  Every child I have ever known in over 50 years could be nailed on that, because they all say or do things that sometimes hurt other kids' feelings, at least.  And if the CHRISTIAN schools are prohibited from teaching Christian doctrine because they can't touch the taboo issue of homosexuality, that's just ridiculous.  

They should stop taking funding (though the way they do this is different in Canada), and charge the parents twice as much to enroll their kids, I'm sure the answer will be. 

Again, violence is already covered under existing criminal statutes, so not at issue here.

There are already 31 gay-straight alliances -some even already AT Christian institutions -in the province.  How many will be enough? 

Quoting brookiecookie87:

No one is saying that Anti-Bullying has to be addressed by the "gay-straight alliance". Bill 18 just makes it so a school cannot deny a gay-straight alliance from forming at a school.

The school can also have an Anti-Bully club.  But if that club is filled with people who think gays are abonominations, sinners, disgusting, akin to bestiality, akin to incest, and marrying a toaster and whatever other crazy thing chriantians have said about gays. It might be a smart move to have their own club.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured