Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

8-Year-Old Autistic Girl Handcuffed For Tantrum, Ignored In Jail For Two Hours

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM
  • 122 Replies

A story out of Illinois this week regarding an 8-year-old handcuffed over a temper tantrum at school has many people outraged. The young girl, Jymha Rickman, was at school Tuesday and when she threw a tantrum, officials called the police. The officers decided to handcuff her and throw her in the back of a cruiser, and it seems it even got worse from there. The Inquisitr shared the details on March 6.

Rickman's guardian shares that after the 8-year-old was handcuffed and put into the back of a police cruiser, she was then taken to jail. She asked for her coat, and officers allegedly ignored her. She apparently also asked to use a bathroom, and her guardian says those requests were ignored as well. Apparently her eyes were swollen from crying, her wrists had welts on them, and they even cuffed her feet.

It seems the police defend their actions. They say that Jymha destroyed two classrooms and school officials couldn't get her to stop. Officials say that yes, the 8-year-old was handcuffed, but she was supervised throughout the time she was in a juvenile detention room. The school district has not commented on the situation. The girl is said to have a history of throwing tantrums at school, and an officer says he believes appropriate actions were taken. What's your take on an 8-year-old being handcuffed and taken to jail over a school tantrum?

Officers in the Alton, Illinois Police Department are defending their decision to restrain Jmiyha Rickman, who is autistic, after she tried to hit a school resource officer and tore up two classrooms, KSDK reported.

Rickman's guardian and uncle, Nehemiah Keeton said he received a call from Love Joy Elementary School to pick her up, something that he said had happened several times before. Keeton then got a call from police informing him Rickman was in custody.

Keeton said Rickman suffers from separation anxiety and depression.

"I trusted the school to give her the adequate treatment and care she deserves and they failed us," Keeton said.

Police said they treated Rickman, who said her hands and feet were handcuffed and a belt tied around her waist, with the utmost caution.

"I will tell you in this particular case it was necessary to protect that child by restraining that child," said Captain Scott Waldrup of the Alton Police.

“As a last resort we sometime have to involve law enforcement,” Alton Schools Assistant Superintendent Kristi Baumgartner told KMOV. "They take the student into protective custody when the parent refuses to pick up the child.”

But Keeton said he was already on the way to pick up Rickman when school officials got police involved.

"I feel like if you can’t handle an 8-year-old without calling the police,” Keeton said. "To put fear in them like my child, you don’t need to work with kids."

Keeton has pulled Rickman out of Love Joy, telling KSDK he would homeschool her until he decides where to send her to school.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/03/07/8-year-old-handcuffed-for-tantrum/2621362666107/#ixzz2MsCp70DN

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperChicken
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Poor poor child :(  

AlliviasMommy
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:46 PM
5 moms liked this

I am insulted. My preschooler is autistic. People just don't understand him. Instead of trying to help him, they make crazy decisions and work against him. He has a right to be there just like the other children. I think with all the things that goes on in the schools these days with autism,bullying among others, there should be hidden cameras where the teachers are unaware.My boy is constantly punished and blamed for a lot of things in the classroom.It is illegal for them to suspend him with his IEP in place and they know it. They are doing things like this because they know alot of parents don't know the childs rights and the special education laws. 

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:47 PM
4 moms liked this

There has got to be a better solution then calling the police for an 8 year old! Yes,she needed to be restrained,to protect other students and herself. Yes,maybe she needs to be removed from school,but the back of a cruiser,handcuffed and taken to jail,are you serious!  Since when did educators and or child care workers forget that these are children, and how to deal with them?

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:49 PM

When kids like that are mainstreamed and the teachers are often told there is very little you can do to control this child other than to get the other kids out of the classroom.

Quoting charleyd68:

There has got to be a better solution then calling the police for an 8 year old! Yes,she needed to be restrained,to protect other students and herself. Yes,maybe she needs to be removed from school,but the back of a cruiser,handcuffed and taken to jail,are you serious!  Since when did educators and or child care workers forget that these are children, and how to deal with them?

SuperChicken
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:49 PM
2 moms liked this

It seems the school needs help with learning how to deal with this beautiful girl.   If she is getting to the point of tearing apart classrooms, there must have been an opportunity to see her escalating earlier and there are very effective ways of helping children with autism avoid a meltdown if you know what you're doing.   Again, I say poor poor child :( 

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:51 PM

That is ridiculous!

Our schools have padded rooms exactly for this reason.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Many people will tell you those rooms are wrong.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

That is ridiculous!

LoveMyKBabies
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:55 PM
I would take the school & police officers to court if this were my child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlliviasMommy
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:56 PM

And it sounds like the staff at his school really don't know how to work with her.Apparently some people never have been in the presents of a child with autism. They do not need to be put or taken away. It sounds like this school had an inadequate plan for her. A child with autism, when having the right plan for them, can exceed better than some "normal" children.

Snapdragon88
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:57 PM
I wonder what's wrong with a padded room? Is it because the term is associated with mental institutions rather than safety?

Quoting talia-mom:

Many people will tell you those rooms are wrong.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

That is ridiculous!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN