Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Controversial Billboards on Teen Pregnancy,,,thoughts?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:23 PM
  • 38 Replies

New Billboards

Human Resources Administration

"If you have your child, you're shamed and seen as an irresponsible decision-maker. If you choose not to have your child and have an abortion instead, you're shamed for that, too," a reproductive-justice advocate says about a new campaign aimed at preventing teen motherhood. Jamilah King takes on the messaging in a piece for Colorlines.

A 27 percent drop in teen pregnancy rates over the past decade apparently isn't good enough for politicians in New York City.

This week, Mayor Michael Bloomberg's office announced the launch of a new ad campaign aimed at making adolescents understand what it calls the "real cost of teen pregnancy."

The advertisements, which will run on subways, buses, and social media platforms, feature a multiracial cast of babies in various states of distress accompanied by text that explains how hard their lives will be because of their parents' ages. One image of a dark skinned little girl includes the message, "Honestly mom ... chances are he won't stay with you. What happens to me?" Another features a crying toddler with curly blond hair telling the world, "I'm twice as likely not to graduate high school because you had me as a teen."

Citing millennial attitudes about teen pregnancy and racial undertones of the ads, critics question the approach.

"[These ads] are problematic to young women of color and young mothers of color," says Jasmine Burnett, the lead organizer for NYC for Reproductive Justice, a volunteer network of reproductive justice groups in the city. "It's like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you have your child, you're shamed and seen as an irresponsible decision-maker. If you choose not to have your child and have an abortion instead, you're shamed for that, too."

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow.

I hope those kids' parents know what kind of billboard their kids are on...

I find them tacky honestly. I know plenty of teen moms that are just fine. Most are still married to the father of their children as well...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PamR
by Pam on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure how effective they will be at getting young girls to choose not to have sex. 

Kelseyciarah
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Fucking ridiculous.

Makes me think back to my first pregnancy at 16 where the doctor giving me the pregnancy test said something along the lines of "Well, you being 16, its pretty much set in stone that your boyfriend is going to leave you and you will be a single mom" he hinted at abortion.

Well I got news for you, he is my HUSBAND now, and never left my side. Ugh the ignorance of it all!

And there are PLENTY of women who waited until they were in their late 20's/30's who's kids did not graduate high school, shit, my mom had me at 29 and I have a GED! But you won't see a billboard attacking that age group huh?

So this screams to me that NY is ADVOCATING abortion from depicting the young woman's ALREADY CONCIEVED child, when in reality they need to be tackling SEX EDUCATION and PREVENTING pregnancy.

Ugh. How many young men are going to see this and try their hearts out to persuade an already pregnant GF to abort??? INSANE!!

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Wouldn't a picture of Honey Boo Boo with the caption overhead stating, "You will end up with this!"

Be a far more effective way to end teenage pregnancy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoddessNDaRuff
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Dumb. With half of marriages failing, half of all pregnancies being unplanned, and more kids being born out of wedlock as marriage rates are declining, age at first birth doesn't really matter.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KayLundy3
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Those are horrible..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Those billboards are accurate despite what happened to you

Girls need to be told the truth. Are you going to encourage you kids to get pregnant at 14, 15, 16?

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

Fucking ridiculous.

Makes me think back to my first pregnancy at 16 where the doctor giving me the pregnancy test said something along the lines of "Well, you being 16, its pretty much set in stone that your boyfriend is going to leave you and you will be a single mom" he hinted at abortion.

Well I got news for you, he is my HUSBAND now, and never left my side. Ugh the ignorance of it all!

And there are PLENTY of women who waited until they were in their late 20's/30's who's kids did not graduate high school, shit, my mom had me at 29 and I have a GED! But you won't see a billboard attacking that age group huh?

So this screams to me that NY is ADVOCATING abortion from depicting the young woman's ALREADY CONCIEVED child, when in reality they need to be tackling SEX EDUCATION and PREVENTING pregnancy.

Ugh. How many young men are going to see this and try their hearts out to persuade an already pregnant GF to abort??? INSANE!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:41 PM

They look like they're advertising abortion.  It's pathetic and disgusting, and way to prey on young vulnerable teens.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM

This isn't encouraging teen girls to not have sex, it is encouraging them to abort their already conceived offspring.

Quoting talia-mom:

Those billboards are accurate despite what happened to you

Girls need to be told the truth. Are you going to encourage you kids to get pregnant at 14, 15, 16?

Quoting Kelseyciarah:

Fucking ridiculous.

babiesbabybaby development

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:44 PM
2 moms liked this
Age of first birth really does matter and it is insane to say it doesn't.

Sure small numbers of teen moms get out of poverty. But the overwhelming number do not.

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

Dumb. With half of marriages failing, half of all pregnancies being unplanned, and more kids being born out of wedlock as marriage rates are declining, age at first birth doesn't really matter.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN