Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How do you feel about Arkansas law banning abortions at 12 weeks?

Posted by   + Show Post

Abortions at 12 Weeks Should Never Be Illegal

by Maressa Brown

ultrasoundWhen it comes to abortion laws, there's absolutely no consensus on what we all as Americans feel is appropriate. But in Arkansas this week, state lawmakers have decided they know what's best -- passing a law that prohibits abortion at 12 weeks of pregnancy, which is when a fetal heartbeat can typically be detected by an abdominal ultrasound. Even after Gov. Mike Beebe, a Democrat, called it "blatantly unconstitutional" and vetoed it. Now the state has what will be by far the country's most restrictive ban on abortion.

To be fair, it's a very hazy issue on which even people who consider themselves pro-choice find themselves grappling with. When should it simply be just too late to terminate a pregnancy? I'd argue that 12 weeks is far too early. Fetal heartbeat or not, there is a need for abortions to be legal that "late in the game."

While 88 percent of all abortions are obtained within the time period Arkansas is specifying, a post-12 week abortion should not be out of the question for various reasons ...

1. Some women may not even recognize that they are pregnant until the pregnancy is advanced beyond that time frame -- due to irregular menstruation, thinking they're in menopause, believing they cannot become pregnant for various reasons (breastfeeding, undergoing medical treatment), or having their pregnancies initially misdiagnosed by physicians (it happens!).
  2. There are also instances where there are serious medical complications -- pregnant women are susceptible to cancer, heart disease, diabetes, severe depression, addictions, and other serious health problems. Surgery, X-rays, chemotherapy, or other treatment vital to a woman's health or life may come to a halt once the pregnancy is discovered. A woman might choose abortion if a continued pregnancy would worsen her condition and/or threaten her life, or if she requires further treatments that may damage a developing fetus. 
  3. A fetus could have severe abnormalities, like an undeveloped brain, a severe metabolic disorder, or no working kidney. She may wish to end the pregnancy rather than give birth to a child who will suffer and die in infancy or who will have severe disabilities. Unfortunately, the results of amniocentesis, one of the most important prenatal diagnostic tests, are generally not available until the 15th or 16th week of pregnancy, thus delaying the abortion decision.

These are just a few of a whole slew of scenarios that could influence a woman to seek an abortion after this inane deadline that Arkansas lawmakers are setting. And these scenarios are exactly why the limit established by Supreme Court gives women a right to an abortion until the fetus is viable outside the womb -- which is usually around 24 weeks into pregnancy. 

That said, it's hopeful that the Arkansas law is going to be found unconstitutional and overturned ASAP. (The ACLU is already gearing up to sue.) Because of course no one would wish any of the above on anyone, but live can take some unexpected turns, and Arkanas women deserve their constitutional right to do what's right for them and their fetus.

How do you feel about this law?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Replies (11-20):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I don't.   People voted for these people that passed this law.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I hope it is quickly overturned.  It's a terrible law.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

The districts in this state have been gerrymandered in a way that the progressive voices there cannot be heard and have little to no representation. 

This is not fully representative of the voices of the people who actually live there...This is one reason the governor vetoed the law.

Quoting talia-mom:

Neon Washable Paint

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM

If you say so.

Quoting NWP:

The districts in this state have been gerrymandered in a way that the progressive voices there cannot be heard and have little to no representation. 

This is not fully representative of the voices of the people who actually live there...This is one reason the governor vetoed the law.

Quoting talia-mom:

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's a great law that's being passed. Looks like I might be bashed for saying so, as there seems to be many preo-choicers in here.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm pro choice.  My understanding is that it's about up to 22 weeks or so that's permitted in most states, still before the fetus is viable outside the womb.  I start having ethical problems once the nervous system of the fetus is developed enough to feel pain, but for me I believe I need to support the right of someone to make the decision up to whatever the limit is, even if I don't feel it's what I would do.  And I further would make later term exceptions based on conditions like health risks to the mother, rape/incest, and fetuses destined to be stillborn or to live short, tortured lives because they lack a brain, etc. 

My problem with laws like this one is that to my mind, they are laws developed with the ultimate intent of recriminalizing all abortions.  That's not a position in which I want to put the next generations of young women. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

I agree with you.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Every woman should have this choice, regardless of circumstances.

At least up to a certain point in the pregnancy.  Which point in the pregnancy that is, I can't answer.

I would hope that by the end of the first trimester women would be aware of their decision.

There is another thread on this topic and it got me thinking............

I am indeed pro choice and as I stated, I do feel every woman should be able to make the choice for an elective abortion, no matter how the pregnancy came about.

But I've always assumed there was a point where such an elective procedure was not legally allowed.  I know that, many years ago, when I was 17 and had an abortion, once you were past your first trimester you could not have an elective abortion.   

Perhaps I am not as educated on this aspect as I thought and my assumptions were wrong.  

I am now thinking that perhaps, just perhaps, some who are pro choice mean that all the way through the pregnancy, for an elective abortion with no other reason?  

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Do you live there? I did....While they were changing these districts. Many of us tried to stop it but seems these days the pols do whatever they want without and regardless of the people.

Quoting talia-mom:

If you say so.

Quoting NWP:

Quoting talia-mom:

Neon Washable Paint

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I just spend a lot of time there in our cabin.

Like I said.  People voted for these people.   If people were really concerned, they would mobilize to get more people elected.  They aren't.  Most people there are good with restrictions or even bans on abortion.   They are.

Quoting NWP:

Do you live there? I did....While they were changing these districts. Many of us tried to stop it but seems these days the pols do whatever they want without and regardless of the people.

Quoting talia-mom:

If you say so.

Quoting NWP:

Quoting talia-mom:

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Depends on where you live.

You might be very happy moving full time to Harrison.

Quoting talia-mom:

Like I said.  People voted for these people.   If people were really concerned, they would mobilize to get more people elected.  They aren't.  Most people there are good with restrictions or even bans on abortion.   They are.

Quoting NWP:

Quoting talia-mom:

If you say so.

Quoting NWP:

Quoting talia-mom:

Neon Washable Paint

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Nope.  Not leaving Lake Charles.

Quoting NWP:

Depends on where you live.

You might be very happy moving full time to Harrison.

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting talia-mom:

If you say so.

Quoting NWP:

Quoting talia-mom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)