Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PA Bill Re:Parental Rights

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM
  • 13 Replies

So a representative in PA has introduced a bill that would allow social services to remove a child if the parents' use of alcohol or drugs poses a healthy, safety, or welfare risk to the child. Also, if you refuse testing then you are automatically deemed to be using alcohol or drugs in a manner that is a healthy, safety, or welfare risk to the child. Thoughts?

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=PDF&sessYr=2013&sessInd=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=0339&pn=0346

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM

So am I understanding that they can and will literally test anyone at any time?

furbabymum
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Well that's bullshit. I mean I think it's good because we get a lot of drug dealers in our office and they all have kids. Seen kids go through some horrible shit. At the same time perception on this sort of thing differs. Some people who don't drink at all see any drinking as putting your child at risk. You see that said on CM all the time.

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Basically and if you refuse they will take your kids.

Quoting stormcris:

talia-mom
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

The government knows best.  

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

You would need to look at their original law to understand this one completely.  This bill states that one of the times they would do this, would be before allowing people to adopt....probably has something to do with adopting foster kids.  I think the other parts would be in regards to kids who have been reported as abused.  I don't see this as the PA gov't walking into any one's home and drug testing them willy nilly. 

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Oh my gracious....do these people even think of what they are doing?

Quoting purpleducky:

Basically and if you refuse they will take your kids.

Quoting stormcris:

stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I wonder though...

Before this law if the children are deemed to be in an environment of neglect or abuse they can be taken. So what else could this law be if not to be able to do random drug testing on whomever they choose?

I could easily see this law being used here by various institutions to remove children simply because they do not like the way a person parents.

Quoting grandmab125:

You would need to look at their original law to understand this one completely.  This bill states that one of the times they would do this, would be before allowing people to adopt....probably has something to do with adopting foster kids.  I think the other parts would be in regards to kids who have been reported as abused.  I don't see this as the PA gov't walking into any one's home and drug testing them willy nilly. 

Debmomto2girls
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM
I think this is aimed more at people wanting to become foster parents. And quite frankly, if I am not doing drugs why would I care about being tested? And if a parent is doing drugs and abusing alcohol why do we want them to parent a child?

If it helps get a child out of a bad situation, I don't care.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
In my opinion social services takes too many kids out of good families as it is...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NewMom11222011
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

As a pre-adoptive foster parent (in MA, not PA) I have no problem taking any kind of substance test that the state dishes out.  They come into your home to do a homestudy and ask you to document your whole life story (good, bad, and ugly) in excruciating detail already.  What's one more hurdle?  Adopting a child is not a right.

Mama2Spencerninja

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)