Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you have friends of a different race or nationality?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 123 Replies

In reading some of the race related posts, it got me thinking..how many moms in here have friends of a different race or nationality? I don't mean just having one friend of a different race or working with someone of a different race but have real friends of different races?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I know people all over the world and in many different walks of life.

SuperChicken
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I do.

Question - why is one friend not a real friend?  How many friends does someone have to have to really have friends of different races or nationalities, lol.  How many friends does one have to have at all?  I have many acquaintances, people to go with and spend time with.  Friends are something deeper and more to me and I only have a few of those.  

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:55 PM
2 moms liked this

My hubs is half Black, one of my close friends is Black, another close friend is Philipino *sp* I also have friends that are Alaskan Native, White, and others. I actually have more non-White friends than i do White friends and i'm considered mixed but mostly White.

I don't take race/nationality/skin color into consideration when choosing my friends.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course-

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM
2 moms liked this

you have a point..it's just when people say they aren't racist or prejudice, they have ______ friends..it's usally only one and the person isn't even a friend, just someone they know, kwim?

Quoting SuperChicken:

I do.

Question - why is one friend not a real friend?  How many friends does someone have to have to really have friends of different races or nationalities, lol.  How many friends does one have to have at all?  I have many acquaintances, people to go with and spend time with.  Friends are something deeper and more to me and I only have a few of those.  

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

We are a military family our friends are usually co-workers and neighbors who come from all races and walks of life.

SuperChicken
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM
4 moms liked this

Ah, I got it.  I agree that chatting with the cashier at the local cornerstore doesn't mean you have a friend.   But having friends of another race doesn't make someone not racist either.    A race X person could have lots of friends who are Race Y and still be racist against Race Z.

I honestly believe that having friends of other races comes down to opportunity.   If you don't get a chance to meet people it's hard to be friends with them.   

Quoting LNLMommy:

you have a point..it's just when people say they aren't racist or prejudice, they have ______ friends..it's usally only one and the person isn't even a friend, just someone they know, kwim?

Quoting SuperChicken:

I do.

jllcali
by Jane on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Yes. My child is also multi ethnic.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LNLMommy
by Queen K on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Very true!

Quoting SuperChicken:

Ah, I got it.  I agree that chatting with the cashier at the local cornerstore doesn't mean you have a friend.   But having friends of another race doesn't make someone not racist either.    A race X person could have lots of friends who are Race Y and still be racist against Race Z.

I honestly believe that having friends of other races comes down to opportunity.   If you don't get a chance to meet people it's hard to be friends with them.   

Quoting LNLMommy:

Quoting SuperChicken:

I do.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:03 PM
In this area? No. My area is 95% white so I don't really see people of other races that often. When I lived in Detroit or LA, yes I did. I have had some relatives who have married people of other races but I didn't think you were really referring to them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)