Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cupcakes With Army Soldiers Get Kid In Hot Water At School

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM
  • 58 Replies

CARO (CBS Detroit) A 9-year-old boy’s birthday cupcakes sparked a school controversy that just keeps growing, with scores of people lining up against a school principal who found the cupcake’s topping “inappropriate.”

The boy was chided, and so were his parents, for cupcakes featuring little green Army men on the top.

Schall Elementary School principal Susan Wright called the parents at home and said the cupcakes were insensitive in the wake of the Sandy Hook school shooting. School staff pulled off the Army men before they were served.

The parents reacted by calling the media.

And the principal, who refused to speak publicly on the issue, issued an extensive statement that said, in part:

“In the climate of recent events in schools we walk a delicate balance in teaching non-violence in our buildings and trying to ensure a safe, peaceful atmosphere. On one hand, there are those who advocate arming teachers, having armed security guards and creating a fortress of defense in our schools. On the other hand, there are those who feel that guns create fear in schools and we need to put solid security measures in place  plus practice routines to be prepared in case an emergency should ever occur. Living in a democratic society entails respect for opposing opinions.”

She added that some parents “prohibit all guns as toys,” and “no disrespect” was intended for members of the military, however, “Our commitment is always to our children and creating a safe place for them to learn, grow and have respectful dialogues about their differences.”

Martial arts instructor Josh Brown, who teaches both the father and son through his school at Caro Martial Arts, is one of the outraged local residents.

“He’s a little 9-year-old kid and it was his birthday cupcakes,” Brown said. “These guys (soldiers) are heroes, and too many people are confusing them with psychopaths.”

source

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
The principle made a fair statement. Did the little green army men have guns?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:51 PM
4 moms liked this

The parents called the media-

And there's your sign.

Whahh, Whahh, follow the rules, folks- Just like most of us learned in Kindergarten.

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:51 PM
5 moms liked this

They were cupcakes, with military men on them.   Last I checked most kids look at the military as heroes.

Quoting LauraKW:

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:52 PM
3 moms liked this

Follow the rules, you mean the ones that change from day to day?   Who can keep up?

Quoting Sisteract:

The parents called the media-

And there's your sign.

Whahh, Whahh, follow the rules, folks- Just like most of us learned in Kindergarten.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this
That had absolutely nothing to do with my statement or question. Did the little green army men have guns?

Quoting candlegal:

They were cupcakes, with military men on them.   Last I checked most kids look at the military as heroes.

Quoting LauraKW:

NewMom11222011
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:56 PM

If there were guns on the little green army guys and if the school had a rule against toy guns, then the school was justified.  I agree that it is ludicrous to equate members of the armed forces with armed psychopaths and our children should be taught the difference.  Our school solved the problem for us.  There are no food treats of any kind allowed for children's birthdays in our school system, with or without toys/decorations.

Mama2Spencerninja

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:57 PM
2 moms liked this
Why was the parent's first response to go to the media? SMH.
candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I don't know, I wasn't there and the article didn't say.   Most soldiers carry guns.  Oh I forgot, most of them are no longer allowed to carry guns.

Quoting LauraKW:

That had absolutely nothing to do with my statement or question. Did the little green army men have guns?

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting LauraKW:

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this
The only person who mentioned psychopaths and the military in the same sentence was the martial arts instructor. That seemed way out of left field.

Quoting NewMom11222011:

If there were guns on the little green army guys and if the school had a rule against toy guns, then the school was justified.  I agree that it is ludicrous to equate members of the armed forces with armed psychopaths and our children should be taught the difference.  Our school solved the problem for us.  There are no food treats of any kind allowed for children's birthdays in our school system, with or without toys/decorations.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM
4 moms liked this
It sounds like the little green army men violated a school rule and instead of following the rules the parents called the media.

Quoting candlegal:

I don't know, I wasn't there and the article didn't say.   Most soldiers carry guns.  Oh I forgot, most of them are no longer allowed to carry guns.

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting LauraKW:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured