Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Being forced to say the Pledge in school or be punished with detention

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:57 AM
  • 134 Replies

My daughter just told me that her Social Studies teacher (7th/8th grade) forces his students to stand and say the Pledge and threatens them with detention if they don't.

I thought the right to not say it was Federal Law?

*edit: I just talked to my daughter agin- just to make SURE and she says he makes them STAND but does not force them to SAY it. I'm glad I spoke with her again to clarify things before talking to the pricipal and looking like an ass.

Even so... still interested in the topic of being forced to say it because there have many cases in court about that topic.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IAMmomtotrips
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this
In our school, kids are not forced to say the pledge. They are asked to sit quietly in their seat and be respectful, but they are not forced too in any way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I would have a problem with that.  My daughter's school, they say the pledge over the loudspeaker, and the kids have to stand but can choose to or not to say it along with the broadcast.

SMH

meriana
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have a real problem with that and I would be having a conversation with the Principle and possibly the District Superintendent. Sheesh, had any of my teachers done that, I would have lived in detention.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

That is ridiculous.  School is for learning, not for being coerced into reciting something like little robots. It reminds me of Germany....in the 30's and 40's. All they need now is a raised arm and a Sieg Heil.

LizzieAnnesMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM
I would have a huge problem with that. I was never forced to say it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I would be livid .

Awakened1
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Individuals should have a right to choose. After all it's supposed to be a democracy, the last I heard.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:27 PM
7 moms liked this

I don't have a problem with it. If you live in the US you say the Pledge. PERIOD!

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Not cool at all.  

My daughter is in the 7th grade.  They say the Pledge every day.  However, if some one chooses not to, that is fine.  They are to sit quietly until it is finished and the day continues.

While my daughter has no issues with reciting the Pledge, if she did and a teacher threatened her with detention, or at all, that teacher and I would be having a little chat.

Kmary
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I'd be pissed.  And while I absolutely am very patriotic and extremely proud to be American, the Pledge itself has always seemed a bit odd to me.  A forced oath of loyalty doesn't sound very "free" does it?  Kind of sounds like something a Communist country would do.  While I think standing for it and being quiet during it or saying it are the respectful things to do, no one should be punished for NOT doing those things. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured