Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Father of all humankind is 340,000 years old

Posted by   + Show Post

Father of all humankind is 340,000 years old

New DNA evidence suggests a new chapter in knowledge of human evolution (AFP)DNA evidence has revealed that the oldest known common male ancestor is 340,000 years old, more than twice as old as previous estimates.

New Scientist reports that the sample comes from a recently deceased man named Albert Perry. After the African-American South Carolina man died, one of his relatives submitted a sample of his DNA to a company called Family Tree DNA for analysis.

The findings were published in the The American Journal of Human Genetics and may require researchers to adjust the known timeline of humankind’s evolution.

And the historical mark came at something of a bargain—the company does historical DNA analysis on individuals for about $150.

All previously compared DNA samples pointed to a common Y chromosome traced back to man who lived between 60,000 and 140,000 years ago. But Perry’s DNA sample broke the trend, not matching up with this common ancestor.

"It's a cool discovery," Jon Wilkins of the Ronin Institute in Montclair, N.J., told New Scientist. "We geneticists have been looking at Y chromosomes about as long as we've been looking at anything. Changing where the root of the Y-chromosome tree is at this point is extremely surprising."

After the initial tests on Perry’s DNA, geneticists at the University of Arizona conducted further tests to confirm the anomaly. The Y chromosome in Perry’s test matched up with those of 11 men who all lived in one village in Cameroon.

University of Arizona researcher Michael Hammer says Perry’s DNA suggests there may have been an earlier species of humans that went extinct—but not before interbreeding with the more modern version of man.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Replies (221-230):
rayroe2
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:50 AM
He had a daughter....some of us have his DNA.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:57 AM
It says the SECOND age.

Quoting LucyMom08:

I found this in the link:

The Second Age began approximately six-ten thousand years ago when God renewed the earth’s surface and its heaven (the earth’s atmosphere) and created life as we know it today in six literal 24-hour days (Genesis 1:3-28). He created Adam and Eve in His own image.

I'm guessing that 'six-ten thousand years ago' is when she thinks man was 'created', so I guess she thinks this article is false? And science is false?

I don't know, that's all I got, haha...

Quoting mehamil1:

What does this have to do with anything?

Quoting rannyM.:

The seven ages of Gods plan...

http://www.godsplanforall.com/the7agesingodsplan

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Where does she say she did?

Quoting mikiemom:

How do you ignore thousands of years of human history that predates your bible? There is archaeological evidence to prove. The Adam and eve story from the bible was lifted and changed from stories of cultures that came before, how to you reconcile that fact in your faith.?

Quoting Mama2JoshKatie:

The Father of all humankind is Adam. Was he created 340,000 years ago? Maybe. I don't subscribe to the idea that the earth is 6,000 years old but I do believe in the Bible and in God as the creator.

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:49 PM

And?

Quoting Carpy:

It says the SECOND age.

Quoting LucyMom08:

The Second Age began approximately six-ten thousand years ago when God renewed the earth’s surface and its heaven (the earth’s atmosphere) and created life as we know it today in six literal 24-hour days (Genesis 1:3-28). He created Adam and Eve in His own image.

I'm guessing that 'six-ten thousand years ago' is when she thinks man was 'created', so I guess she thinks this article is false? And science is false?

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting rannyM.:

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Do I really need to explain?

Quoting LucyMom08:

And?

Quoting Carpy:

It says the SECOND age.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting rannyM.:

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Yes, please...

Quoting Carpy:

Do I really need to explain?

Quoting LucyMom08:

And?

Quoting Carpy:

It says the SECOND age.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting rannyM.:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Adam and Eve were "created" in the second age...

Quoting Carpy:

It says the SECOND age.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting rannyM.:

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM
So they say.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Adam and Eve were "created" in the second age...

Quoting Carpy:

It says the SECOND age.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting rannyM.:

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Bwahahaha! The creationists still prodding this one along...

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I know I'm butting in here, but...

wouldn't the statement "The Father of all humankind is Adam" imply that she believes he was first and no one came before him? That's how I interpret that statement. 

Quoting Carpy:

Where does she say she did?

Quoting mikiemom:

How do you ignore thousands of years of human history that predates your bible? There is archaeological evidence to prove. The Adam and eve story from the bible was lifted and changed from stories of cultures that came before, how to you reconcile that fact in your faith.?

Quoting Mama2JoshKatie:

The Father of all humankind is Adam. Was he created 340,000 years ago? Maybe. I don't subscribe to the idea that the earth is 6,000 years old but I do believe in the Bible and in God as the creator.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)