Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Father of all humankind is 340,000 years old

Posted by   + Show Post

Father of all humankind is 340,000 years old

New DNA evidence suggests a new chapter in knowledge of human evolution (AFP)DNA evidence has revealed that the oldest known common male ancestor is 340,000 years old, more than twice as old as previous estimates.

New Scientist reports that the sample comes from a recently deceased man named Albert Perry. After the African-American South Carolina man died, one of his relatives submitted a sample of his DNA to a company called Family Tree DNA for analysis.

The findings were published in the The American Journal of Human Genetics and may require researchers to adjust the known timeline of humankind’s evolution.

And the historical mark came at something of a bargain—the company does historical DNA analysis on individuals for about $150.

All previously compared DNA samples pointed to a common Y chromosome traced back to man who lived between 60,000 and 140,000 years ago. But Perry’s DNA sample broke the trend, not matching up with this common ancestor.

"It's a cool discovery," Jon Wilkins of the Ronin Institute in Montclair, N.J., told New Scientist. "We geneticists have been looking at Y chromosomes about as long as we've been looking at anything. Changing where the root of the Y-chromosome tree is at this point is extremely surprising."

After the initial tests on Perry’s DNA, geneticists at the University of Arizona conducted further tests to confirm the anomaly. The Y chromosome in Perry’s test matched up with those of 11 men who all lived in one village in Cameroon.

University of Arizona researcher Michael Hammer says Perry’s DNA suggests there may have been an earlier species of humans that went extinct—but not before interbreeding with the more modern version of man.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Replies (31-40):
KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this
Do those who believe what these scientists say they have discovered, have a faith in those scientists who also happen to be men? Were you there to see with your own eyes as they counted the years? Or do you just take them at their word?
slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Ooooh, that's interesting. I'll have to read more on this. I thought they could really only trace mitochondrial ancestors (i.e., maternal, not paternal).
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM
2 moms liked this

How do you ignore thousands of years of human history that predates your bible? There is archaeological evidence to prove. The Adam and eve story from the bible was lifted and changed from stories of cultures that came before, how to you reconcile that fact in your faith.?

Quoting Mama2JoshKatie:

The Father of all humankind is Adam. Was he created 340,000 years ago? Maybe. I don't subscribe to the idea that the earth is 6,000 years old but I do believe in the Bible and in God as the creator.

simplegirl2321
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM
For the ancestry.com one you don't need to go to a lab. All you have to do is mail back the swab kit they send you, and they send it off for testing and mail you the results.

Quoting colins_mom:

I have been too for me and my ds. I wonder if there is a lab near me I could contact....

Quoting simplegirl2321:

So cool, I have been wanting to do the family DNA analysis on my husband me for a while.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

There work is published, they have peer review. Unlike the bible, science is not based purely on faith.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Do those who believe what these scientists say they have discovered, have a faith in those scientists who also happen to be men? Were you there to see with your own eyes as they counted the years? Or do you just take them at their word?

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM
4 moms liked this
The Bible is the most published book in history. It's peer reviewed and studied. If you believe a scientific published study without seeing it with your own eyes how they came to their theories, you are applying trust and faith my friend.
Quoting mikiemom:

There work is published, they have peer review. Unlike the bible, science is not based purely on faith.

Quoting KamWorthy:

parentalrights1
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM
I know that. I'm just saying, you always see at least one or two people quoting scripture at every turn, but you never a Jewish person going and preaching or posting their beliefs for everyone to follow nor anyone else.

Like if someone posts about.... Homosexuality for example. Homosexuality gets mentioned and people are all over it like white on rice with their scriptures as though that ends the argument, but you will never see a Jewish person on a thread about bacon perching that everyone's committing some kosher crime or something

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

We're not all the same. I thought it was interesting... 

Quoting parentalrights1:

Why are christians the only ones that feel compelled to push their biblical knowledge in every situation? You don't see Jews or Muslims showing up and preaching all the time

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this
parentalrights1
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM
2 moms liked this
The shit you all come up with cracks me up.

Peers can also test and prove science. The proof is all around you in you hospitals and technology. The bible can be studied but not tested. Science is not faith based.

And even if someone doesn't test everything they hear, at least it can be tested and proven. You have to read the bible, make a conscious decision to believe it, and have faith in it.

Quoting KamWorthy:

The Bible is the most published book in history. It's peer reviewed and studied. If you believe a scientific published study without seeing it with your own eyes how they came to their theories, you are applying trust and faith my friend.

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting KamWorthy:

parentalrights1
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:47 PM
2 moms liked this
Lol there's a meme I saw that talks about it too.

Picture of Jewish man

"Believes in eating kosher and avoiding pork. Doesn't go yelling at people to stop eating pork"

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I posted this on Fb and a Muslim woman told me how cool it was

:-)

Quoting parentalrights1:

Why are christians the only ones that feel compelled to push their biblical knowledge in every situation? You don't see Jews or Muslims showing up and preaching all the time

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)