Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Father of all humankind is 340,000 years old

Posted by   + Show Post

Father of all humankind is 340,000 years old

New DNA evidence suggests a new chapter in knowledge of human evolution (AFP)DNA evidence has revealed that the oldest known common male ancestor is 340,000 years old, more than twice as old as previous estimates.

New Scientist reports that the sample comes from a recently deceased man named Albert Perry. After the African-American South Carolina man died, one of his relatives submitted a sample of his DNA to a company called Family Tree DNA for analysis.

The findings were published in the The American Journal of Human Genetics and may require researchers to adjust the known timeline of humankind’s evolution.

And the historical mark came at something of a bargain—the company does historical DNA analysis on individuals for about $150.

All previously compared DNA samples pointed to a common Y chromosome traced back to man who lived between 60,000 and 140,000 years ago. But Perry’s DNA sample broke the trend, not matching up with this common ancestor.

"It's a cool discovery," Jon Wilkins of the Ronin Institute in Montclair, N.J., told New Scientist. "We geneticists have been looking at Y chromosomes about as long as we've been looking at anything. Changing where the root of the Y-chromosome tree is at this point is extremely surprising."

After the initial tests on Perry’s DNA, geneticists at the University of Arizona conducted further tests to confirm the anomaly. The Y chromosome in Perry’s test matched up with those of 11 men who all lived in one village in Cameroon.

University of Arizona researcher Michael Hammer says Perry’s DNA suggests there may have been an earlier species of humans that went extinct—but not before interbreeding with the more modern version of man.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Replies (41-50):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

the scandalous books always get the most attention....50 Cent has a best seller as well..that doesn't = true or good

peer reviewed>? lmao...that is the funniest argument I have ever heard..

Quoting KamWorthy:

The Bible is the most published book in history. It's peer reviewed and studied. If you believe a scientific published study without seeing it with your own eyes how they came to their theories, you are applying trust and faith my friend.
Quoting mikiemom:

There work is published, they have peer review. Unlike the bible, science is not based purely on faith.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Do those who believe what these scientists say they have discovered, have a faith in those scientists who also happen to be men? Were you there to see with your own eyes as they counted the years? Or do you just take them at their word?

parentalrights1
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:50 PM
No that's not the reason. There doesn't have to be any christian bashing. Everywhere you look on any topic, there's always a christian assuming that very one else is christian and they start posting scripture for everyone to read and take for validation or end an argument. You never see anyone else immediately posting their religious text as relevant to the conversation

Quoting colins_mom:

because we are the only ones attacked when something of this nature comes up. before anyone even mentioned the bible in replies christans were getting trashed.

Quoting parentalrights1:

Why are christians the only ones that feel compelled to push their biblical knowledge in every situation? You don't see Jews or Muslims showing up and preaching all the time

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Everythin you said could also be said of the Bible, and its peers. I'm glad I could give you a laugh and that you are so easily amused. Makes me happy.
Quoting parentalrights1:

The shit you all come up with cracks me up.

Peers can also test and prove science. The proof is all around you in you hospitals and technology. The bible can be studied but not tested. Science is not faith based.

And even if someone doesn't test everything they hear, at least it can be tested and proven. You have to read the bible, make a conscious decision to believe it, and have faith in it.

Quoting KamWorthy:

The Bible is the most published book in history. It's peer reviewed and studied. If you believe a scientific published study without seeing it with your own eyes how they came to their theories, you are applying trust and faith my friend.

Quoting mikiemom:

There work is published, they have peer review. Unlike the bible, science is not based purely on faith.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Do those who believe what these scientists say they have discovered, have a faith in those scientists who also happen to be men? Were you there to see with your own eyes as they counted the years? Or do you just take them at their word?

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Pretty cool.

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Just as you have every right to take the word of a man who publishes something of fact or fiction. It's all about what you WANT to believe is true.
Quoting sweet-a-kins:

They have every right to believe in fairytales if they want too :-)

Quoting mikiemom:

very cool but you know there are some ladies in this group that just can't emotionally deal with facts that state the earth and the humans that inhabit the earth are older than their bible states that it is.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM

You misunderstand what I said, yes the bible is a published book but it has not been vetted. What you believe is based on faith. Science does not rely on faith to be true. That is the great thing about facts, they are true whether you choose to believe them or not. The bible doesn't have that same quality.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting KamWorthy:

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Fiddy cents book will never be up where the Bible is lol....that's the funniest comparison I've heard today.
Quoting sweet-a-kins:

the scandalous books always get the most attention....50 Cent has a best seller as well..that doesn't = true or good

peer reviewed>? lmao...that is the funniest argument I have ever heard..

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting KamWorthy:

romalove
by Roma on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting parentalrights1:

The shit you all come up with cracks me up.

Peers can also test and prove science. The proof is all around you in you hospitals and technology. The bible can be studied but not tested. Science is not faith based.

And even if someone doesn't test everything they hear, at least it can be tested and proven. You have to read the bible, make a conscious decision to believe it, and have faith in it.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting KamWorthy:

The thing is, you have to say what a "peer" is.

In scientific circles, that would be acknowledged scientists.

For Bibles, I would imagine that would be people who are experts in the Bible.

If Elmo was peer reviewed there would be a bunch of muppets on the panel.

Saying "peer reviewed" doesn't indicate quality lol.

No matter how much someone wants the Bible to be a science book, it is not.

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM
That's not what I'm referring to. You rely on science based, written findings and theories of mere men who say the have tried, tested, discovered through trial and error, the "truth", without being there to actually witness all of those experiments, trials, etc...that takes a measure of faith.
Quoting mikiemom:

You misunderstand what I said, yes the bible is a published book but it has not been vetted. What you believe is based on faith. Science does not rely on faith to be true. That is the great thing about facts, they are true whether you choose to believe them or not. The bible doesn't have that same quality.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting KamWorthy:

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM

No it does not the formulas, tests, results of science are published for anyone to recreate. I don't have to rely on faith because I can test the results myself if I choose. This is not the case with the bible. You can not compare faith in the bible to empirical science what-so-ever.

Quoting KamWorthy:

That's not what I'm referring to. You rely on science based, written findings and theories of mere men who say the have tried, tested, discovered through trial and error, the "truth", without being there to actually witness all of those experiments, trials, etc...that takes a measure of faith.
Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN