• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

There seems to be no limit as to what some want to tax

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM
  • 7 Replies

Berkeley Councilman Proposes Email Tax To Save Post Office

The Huffington Post  |  By Posted:

If the post office is going to go down, perhaps it should at least go down with a fight.

Gordon Wozniak, a city councilman in Berkeley, Calif., has proposed an email tax to provide much-needed revenue to the ailing U.S. Postal Service, local blog Berkleyside reports. The idea comes amid efforts to avoid the sale of a local post office building due to the service’s flagging revenue, both locally and on the national scale: In its latest budget year, the U.S. Postal Service lost more than $15 billion.

“There should be something like a bit tax,” Wozniak said, according to CBS Berkeley. “I mean a bit tax could be a cent per-gigabit and they would still make, probably, billions of dollars a year… And there should be, also, a very tiny tax on email.”

Wozniak told The Huffington Post that while not his own idea, the bit tax could bring in revenue to help a number of sectors, beyond just the post office.

"The internet being free gives it an advantage which is impacting the post office negatively," he said. "The bit tax is a pretty painless way to help even the playing field."

Wozniak’s proposal comes amid many other ideas to aid the Postal Service’s woes. The Postal Service itself has proposed ending Saturday delivery, while other options include ramping up junk mail delivery, advertising on the side of mail trucks and even a new clothing line.

As of now, there is one large factor standing in the way of the tax on email: It wouldn’t be legal until Congress allows the expiration of the Internet Tax Freedom Act in 2014.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM

That is a horrible idea.

Even if they did implement that no one is going to decide to write a letter to a friend over an email or text because a few cents.

And where is this free Internet he speaks of? I would love to stop paying 45 dollars for mine if there is a free version out there some where.

candlegal
by Judy on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM

This isn't the first time this has been brought up

meriana
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Horrible idea but then, on the other hand, maybe it would eliminate at least some of the junk email that clutters things up.

AMBG825
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Why not? We tax everything else we do. It's only a matter of time before they start taxing our e-mails. Some people smoke. Some people drink. Some people gorge themselves on twinkies. Some people play on the internet. 

Whatever vice you have, the government will find a way to tax it.  

talia-mom
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

Should five per cent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Don't ask me what I want it for
If you don't want to pay some more

Now my advice for those who die
Declare the pennies on your eyes
And you're working for no one but me.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM

What a dumb idea.  It would never pass, I'm sure.  The only way to save the post office is to either subsidize it and just call it a loss, or they will have to undercut the prices of UPS and FEDEX for shipping.  And actually they are reliable and inexpensive, I ship a lot of stuff for ebay sales and they have very inexpensive and fast options.  There are some documents that still have to be mailed at times, I think they will have to raise the price to closer to $1 for a letter.

zoniechick
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM

We live in the era of taxes, so this idea does not surprise me. It is a horrible idea, however I could see it passing in the future. Government is running out of things to tax so they have to come up with something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)