Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Since we are on the subject of the Flag...

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:48 PM
  • 107 Replies

What are your thoughts on flag burning/desecration? Should it be protected free speech or outlawed? Why?

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KristenFowles
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:49 PM
4 moms liked this

Honestly?

I don't care what others do..  If burning the flag makes them feel they have a bigger dick, then whatever.

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:51 PM
4 moms liked this

My big brothers comments from a debate on this a few years ago. He is retired Navy and a huge history buff.

I tend to agree with him. I can't imagine a situation where I would be compelled to burn a US flag but I support Free Speech.

I have to comment on this one:

Quote:

For ONE THOUSAND years, the ONLY way to honorably dispose  of a flag that had been desecrated &/or soiled was to BURN IT.    I knew MANY Anti-War protestors in the late 60's who knew that and knew that the burning of the American flag was NOT a desecration but a cleansing of the symbol of our country which had been soiled by our own government's illegal war.    It was only in the late 60's when the Hawks conspired with big Media to turn the protestors' act backwards and call the flag burnings themselves desecration, that the act of burning the flag , AFTER 1,000 years of meaning CLEANSING, should now mean desecration ... and the protestors themselves never meant that!!!   That is what happens when we let a small group of powerful people put words into our mouths for us!

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Quoting KristenFowles:

Honestly?

I don't care what others do..  If burning the flag makes them feel they have a bigger dick, then whatever.

I'm not sure that's their motivation but, ok. = )

There was a big fuss over it a few years back, some pushing for a Constitutional Amendment banning it but that movement seems to have backed down.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I dislike it when the Flag is burned or not disposed of properly.  I also dislike it when people 'wear' an actual Flag, stomp on one, etc.

But my personal opinion does not dictate Free Speech.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Free Speech. 

steffielou_who
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I don't care either way.. I will say that honestly, the flag eans nothing to me.. If someone wants to burn one, then by God, let them..

Free speech..

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:58 PM
This

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Personally, I dislike it when the Flag is burned or not disposed of properly.  I also dislike it when people 'wear' an actual Flag, stomp on one, etc.

But my personal opinion does not dictate Free Speech.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Outlawed.... if the flag is not being retired properly it should be outlawed.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

What other forms of free speech would you like to see outlawed?

Also, just as notation, you have not yet answered the questions I asked in our discussion in the other thread.  

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM

eye rolling

Quoting FromAtoZ:
Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

What other forms of free speech would you like to see outlawed?

Also, just as notation, you have not yet answered the questions I asked in our discussion in the other thread.  

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have a weightloss goal to hit 135-140lbs by Oct 2012....Can I do it by changing the weigh I eat, using Body By Vi , and exercising more? We shall see!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/luvmykidz04

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)