Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

About our New Pet, Pit... Her name is Sadie. ****UPDATE under pics****

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM
  • 156 Replies
7 moms liked this

The other night, My friend and I were driving to her place after an event. I'm a Realtor. Well.. She almost ran over a dog. A Pit no less. The dog seemed lost. I said "Oh no, if we leave it here, it will surely get run over." So I got out and put it in her back seat. No problem. No growling. Absolutely no aggression. Got her in my car.. Again.. no problem. Called hubby and told him I'm bringing home a dog. 

When I opened the hatch to my Navigator, hubby goes to get the dog out and the dog ducks her head and tail.. Not aggressive in the least. Afraid. He got her out and took her in. Inside the house we noticed a chain makeshift collar. Her whole neck had been ripped up, blood on it still so we figured she was in a fight with some other dog. At one point she had puppies but nipples were dry already, just hanging. We feed her, she eats everything. He touches her tail while eating, takes the food away.. testing her.. no aggression at all. Yesterday was a whole day with her.. we played with several balls.. may they RIP... I kicked it with her and she'd hold it like saying "mine" but no aggression. Hubby with throw the ball, she'd chase it and bring it to him. She was sooo filthy we thought she was black and white. He washed her 6 times yesterday and twice today. She is SOOOO happy. Lays on her belly so she can be rubbed. Slopps her big tongue on us with kisses. Phenominal dog.. She is a pure breed Pit. 

NOW.. THE UPSETTING PART: 

I am beyond upset right now. We were speaking with a friend about the Pitbull I found and she said that female Pits are usually used as "Bait Dogs" in the dog ring to train the males and then they breed them if they survive. They also break their teeth. Needless to say, we checked her teeth and they are indeed broken. She has plenty to eat and rip up balls so that's not an issue but to think of what this poor dog has gone through is unimaginable. 

She is so very tame and she's so excited to be here that she just wags her tail and licks us constantly. I think of the poor puppies she had and I swear, I'm of a mind to look around the neighborhood where I found her and see if I can spot a house with those dogs. Not sure what I would do. Naturally, I'd never comfront them but I wonder if the police would investigate, if I called them. 

What would you do? I just feel that I can't leave well enough alone. It's burning me up that someone would do this to such an amazing animal. Yes, she's a beast. No doubt about that but she has shown not one ounce of aggression. On the contrary, she is completely submissive, even rolling over on her belly. 

She has a ripped up neck, bumps, bruises, broken teeth and they cut her ears.. AAAARRRRRGGGHHHHH!!! I can just SCREAM!! Of course, my husband says she's home and she'll never be abused again but I'm beyond furious. 

Look at this face.. 

3/10/2013: SADIE is doing phenominal. We brushed her teeth today and she's missing rows of back teeth and the front ones she has left have been shaved down. Primarily the fangs. She did nothing but sat there while we brushed her teeth. My husband bought her some big thick meat bones at the WinnDixie Meat section from the Butcher and she can't break into the bones but enjoyed chewing them up.  Whoever's outside, she just follows around as happy as can be. She knows she's safe. 

I filled out an ASPCA Complaint Form. I hope they follow up. Atleast drive around that neighborhood. I gave them my phone number and email so they can contact me. We'll be taking her in for a check up and vaccines this week. Then in about a month we'll take her in to get Spayed and have some teeth cleaning work done since she'll be medicated for the spaying. We want to wait because we don't want her to feel we're leaving her there after just a few days. We want her to be more comfortable with the family environment before we have to leave her overnight. 

My youngest child is 7 years old and my son is 8. The rest of the kids happen to be 18 in November, 20 in May and 21 In September. The 18 year old will be taking over when he moves in with us. By that time she'll be well acclimated to the family and will likely sleep with him in his room.  Our 8 year old son is scared of her because he's cautious so he'll take some time to become more comfortable with her. He grew up with Ringo who was a much bigger dog so it wasn't an issue but Ringo was more aggressive. My 7 year old is fearless. She's the concern for everything but up til now, Sadie just follows her to play but we have to be careful because she will jump and knock her down in play. 

Thank you all for your advice. We're experienced dog owners so we're taking it cautiously and one day at a time. So far, she's been a great and happy dog. 

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Sweet sweet girl! Congratulations on your new family member. May her old owners go to hell.

katy_kay08
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM
2 moms liked this

What would I do?  She would have been taken to the animal shelter not my home.  There is no way I would trust her based on the description to stay meek.   

Proud2BWeird
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this
What a beautiful dog!

I hate animal cruelty. It makes me so angry, I just lose it so I completely understand where you're coming from.

What would I do? Just what you're doing. Getting more and more pissed, and trying to figure out how to end it. What should you do? I just don't know. Wish I did.

God bless you for bringing her home and loving her. She's a very fortunate dog to have you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Poor doggy, I can't understand how someone can do that to a living creature that feels and cries. Some people are sick. She is lucky you found her. I really don't know what I'd do, dh would likely investigate and follow up on his own.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

KristenFowles
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:58 PM
2 moms liked this

She's beautiful, I'd definitely alert the police to the area you found her..

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:58 PM

You're a better person than me. I wouldn't have picked her up. 

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:59 PM

bless you and she is a beautiful doggie.

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I can understand your concern but I've had dogs all my life and we can gauge their character rather well. We had an Amstaff which is one breed from becoming a Pit. He had a good disposition and would watch over the kids. He was a good dog. There are things we do to test them when we first bring them home and if we see any aggression, we try to tame it somehow or they end up in a no kill shelter, simply because we have kids. 

We're going to check with the Humane Society about their services to see what they charge for vaccines, spaying and do something about her teeth. We do brush their teeth and she looks like she has a cavity. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

What would I do?  She would have been taken to the animal shelter not my home.  There is no way I would trust her based on the description to stay meek.   

lizzielouaf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations on your new family member. First and foremost, get her to a vet ASAP. Get a thorough exam then enroll her into some obedience classes. A friend of mine has had numerous pitbulls and they are gentle and loving animals. Just keep your eye on her and be careful till you get some more information. Again, congratulations.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Probably this. I would have taken her to the local no-kill shelter. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)